PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning/Storing Questions Plus heat paint Question.

Kenobi
24-05-2009, 07:45
Anyone know best way to store an engine?

I currently have a full engine In the back of my van and its going in my parts shed.
I would like to clean it first. Ya know so when it get dropped in its easy to source oil leaks etc.

Should I paint it with Heat paint stuff?

Erm thats it really, oh and quick question fro Brigsy and Marky. Does the Renault Extra van share any of the same Brackets that the renault 5 turbo needs? also are engine mounts the same?

TrixNFlix
24-05-2009, 08:07
For painting the engine I just used halfords engine temp paint. I think it's rated to about 300 degrees and cost a fiver a pot. Make sure you clean the block first. I used gunk and a brush and applied it everywhere left it for 15 min and washed of with a pressure washer.leave out in sun and it will be dry in 30mins. Then wipe surface rust of with a cloth and start painting.

TrixNFlix
24-05-2009, 08:14
Are the shells pistons etc in good condition? I'd deffo be tempted to split it all down and clean everything but I'm probably paranoid from past experiences! It will be hard work trying to get the grease of the block without getting water in unwanted places if your keeping it as a whole engine ready to bolt in.

Kenobi
24-05-2009, 11:43
I hadn't thought about breaking it down to be honest. Its bloody heavy though I know that.

RICHIE
24-05-2009, 11:46
I hadn't thought about breaking it down to be honest. Its bloody heavy though I know that.

if it is defo a good working unit i would steam clean it and wire brush it mate then paint as for storage leave the oil in it and just cover it up in tarporline.

Kenobi
24-05-2009, 11:51
I need a steam cleaner.

RICHIE
24-05-2009, 11:53
I need a steam cleaner.

hot soap and water then mate you could probably get away with pressure washing it

TrixNFlix
24-05-2009, 12:31
Tried soap and water, won't work too well if you wanna paint it leaves to much grease which the paint won't adhere to. 5ooml tin of gunk (£8) brush on leave 15 min, blast off jobs done.:agree:

JRP
24-05-2009, 13:38
Cleaning it use GUNK from halfords.

Or

POR 15 they do it, marine clean, then a metal ready. then por15 top coat and engine paint.

its the bollox. msn me and ile tell you more ;)

Purple_rob
24-05-2009, 19:40
I find Gunk a load of $h!7to be honest.

I used to use a product called hyperclean. That worked amzing in comparison and obviously water soluble.

I'd defo break it and store like that.

:agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
24-05-2009, 19:44
What brackets you refering too mate, depending on what brackets your on about also depends on what engine you have. I had a 1.1 petrol C-seires engine in my van so mostof the brackets were the same, as yours is a diesel then its based on the F-seires block (similiar design) so not many the same. The gearbox mounts will be the same but engine one is different.

raj
24-05-2009, 22:14
Cleaning it use GUNK from halfords.

Or

POR 15 they do it, marine clean, then a metal ready. then por15 top coat and engine paint.

its the bollox. msn me and ile tell you more ;)

thats exactly what i used on THIS (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=30&pictureid=300) REBUILD (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=30&pictureid=261)

tiff_lee
24-05-2009, 23:57
Nice Raj like the colour to!

BriC
25-05-2009, 00:35
I used to use a product called hyperclean. That worked amzing in comparison and obviously water soluble.

I used that too on my GTT engine - did the job rather nicely. Got it from Wilkinsons.

Ron
25-05-2009, 08:43
I would chuck it iin the shed dirty. Wash it when you need it it will save getting any water into the internals!

Adey aka Ewok
25-05-2009, 09:40
ive been yousing a product called jizzer,spray on leave to sak and blast off, comes up real nice:agree: