PDA

View Full Version : cellulose thinners WTF !!!

Schakal
16-09-2008, 21:45
bought this cellulose thinners of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300183584232

and yesterday i mixed it with the paint(white) i got from halfords (50/50 mix) ,as soon as i put some thinners in , the paint got looking funny first ,like trying to run away from thinners , just kept stirring and it started mixing fine looking all good ,painted some of the bits as well

after a time i decided the mix was too thick and added a bit more of the same thinners ,the paint turned to some thick weird vomity looking light brown thing ??? right in the middle of painting i did not feck about too much and emptied the gun on the floor ,obviously i was a bit pissed of with these so called cellulose thinners and i used a small amount of halfords thinners i had left over for cleaning the gun ,strange thing happened as soon as halfords thinners touched the fubared paint in the gun ,it turned back to white again .

i am confused ,can someone in the know explain what happened there please ???

Scoff
16-09-2008, 21:50
:D guess it wasn't cellulose paint then !!! if it was 2k you'd use normal fast thinners, not cellulose, its reacted.

Schakal
16-09-2008, 21:58
:D guess it wasn't cellulose paint then !!! if it was 2k you'd use normal fast thinners, not cellulose, its reacted.

halfords only sell cellulose paint as far as i know mate .
fact that i can use halfords cellulose thinners without problems
aslo confirms this .

did you actually read all above ?? the thinners did only react to
the paint second time i added some to dilute a little more :rolleyes:

Scoff
16-09-2008, 22:04
yes, I read, you said it looked like it wanted to seperate at the first mix, which made me think something wasn't right. But ok, I don't know.

Schakal
16-09-2008, 22:11
yes, I read, you said it looked like it wanted to seperate at the first mix, which made me think something wasn't right. But ok, I don't know.

weird cause i managed to paint the boot lid and the rear bumper with that mix
and i cant see anything wrong (yet ) after it dried up .

oh well :laugh:

Purple_rob
17-09-2008, 20:05
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I hate halford paint, I've always had a problem with it reacting with other things.

Halfords primer with proper paint or 2k primer with halfords aerosol.

I simply don't use it anymore.

I was quite interested in these new rules over not selling 2 pac paints aswell and what if any about cellulose based paint at the moment.

I used to do a fair bit of air brushing but its all with cellulose, surely it wouldnt work with water based if you cant bake it?

5teve L
17-09-2008, 22:03
halfords only sell cellulose paint as far as i know mate .
fact that i can use halfords cellulose thinners without problems
aslo confirms this .

did you actually read all above ?? the thinners did only react to
the paint second time i added some to dilute a little more :rolleyes:

Thats a bit rude isn't it, i would have said the same thing, it's a reaction of some sorts :rolleyes: