PDA

View Full Version : JB3 gearbox died ????

Kris M
21-05-2009, 19:45
Hi all, :)

Right, the old 5 left me stranded for the first time ever today :crap:, Was driving lovely in 5th gear, went to go for fourth and couldent get it. Coasted into a layby, and all i can get is 5th gear + neutral just below 5th. The gearstick wil not move further left than 5th gear position

So, get towed home, hoping its just the linkage thats moved or something, so i disconnected the selecter rod from the gearbox under the rubber boot hoping that i may be able to engage gears by hand without the rod attached, and still i can only get 5th :rolleyes:,

Also, it makes no difference if the engines running or not, exactly the same

Not had much to do with gearbox`s before so do these symptoms sound familier to anyone or anyone shed any light

Dont particulaly want to have to swap the box before Pod, by hey ho :crap:

TNT Tricky Nicky
21-05-2009, 20:26
I've lost 5th gear before, as in unable to engage it, thought the box had gone but turned out the nut holding the cog on had come lose. 5th looks like Renault decieded to add another gear to a 4 speed box and put on the out side with a bigger cover on to me! Maybe yours is locked in 5th cos nuts loose and won't disengage, worth a look just whipping the cover off but I never got in to gearboxes cos refurbing or repair generally cost more then a new one

Kris M
21-05-2009, 20:29
Thanks for the reply mate, as i said its not jammed in 5th, i can go in and out of 5th only, just the gearleaver wont move left at all or up and down.....will whip the end cover of any have a look

J$£5GTT
21-05-2009, 20:32
Thanks for the reply mate, as i said its not jammed in 5th, i can go in and out of 5th only, just the gearleaver wont move left at all or up and down.....will whip the end cover of any have a look

:agree:,yep maybe just the nut has come loose on the end,
easily accessible with the cover off.

TNT Tricky Nicky
21-05-2009, 20:50
No problem I'm no expert but when I said jammed in 5 I ment holding the selector in the 5th gear position as in it won't go any further left and is in only in a false neutral position stuck before fully disengaging the 5th position.

Hopefully scoff will be able to sort you out cos he likes playing with boxes!

Scoff
21-05-2009, 20:57
or maybe not, I don't know thing 1 about gearbox innards :D it helps me not to have any mechanical sympathy for them :laugh:

I'll go with the others, maybe the nut on the end of the shaft has worked loose, easy to investigate. failing that, I remember ave had a problem a bit like that some years ago, he had to remove the 5th gear detent plug (did I get that right ?) from under the box and lever something inside the gearbox to release it again.

TNT Tricky Nicky
21-05-2009, 21:13
[QUOTE=Scoff;71265]or maybe not, I don't know thing 1 about gearbox innards :D it helps me not to have any mechanical sympathy for them :laugh:

My bad, thought you worked like the terminator, knowing how something works makes it easier to kill! :rolleyes:

Scoff
21-05-2009, 21:15
I usually find a way of breaking it regardless :crap:

THE MASTER
21-05-2009, 21:51
reverse . thats a clue
;)
wot happens is the shaft that holds the reverse gear can get bent , and if the reverse does not sit back in it's home place the inter locking will not let you select other gears
:cool::);)

Kris M
21-05-2009, 22:05
Ok Col, thanks. Would something like this give you a warning of the box going ??? ie whining, crunching etc etc ??

In this case, it was driving fine, then suddenly went