PDA

View Full Version : how to stop rocker shaft noise

c5 swh
20-05-2009, 18:32
Im in the middle of rebuilding my engine. The rocker gear was noisey, im just wondering what i can do to stop this apart from buying a new one. Im guessing there going to be a little expensive if they are still availble.

What about taking it all apart cleaning it up then put it all back togeteher with assemle lube?

anything else i can do?

stuTHC
20-05-2009, 18:59
Noisey how? i cant see how it could be noisey, other than the rockers been so tight on the shaft in grates/squeeks, or they are so sloppy on there they are rattling around. Or one or more of the springs is fecked.
Are you sure it's wasn't the valve clearances causing the noise?

Brigsy
20-05-2009, 19:00
Do you mean tappet noise? If the valve clearances are done right it should sound nice & quiet :)

GTphil
20-05-2009, 19:53
Nice and quiet on a GT can seem noisy to most people, tappet noise did my head in for months when I first got my raider, unless your rocker shaft is mint then your never going to get them silent. Just make sure they are adjusted properly then leave it at that.:)

djinuk
20-05-2009, 22:26
funny this should come up.. i recently had noisy tappets, so i checked the clearances and a few were actually to tight.. i always though it was gaps to wide that led to nosiy tappets.

Matt Cole
20-05-2009, 23:14
The contact faces wear over time. What you get is a concave facing wich will never adjust up correctly to allow for quiet running. The rockers will require removing and reworking on a bench grinder at the easiest.

raj
20-05-2009, 23:48
The contact faces wear over time. What you get is a concave facing wich will never adjust up correctly to allow for quiet running. The rockers will require removing and reworking on a bench grinder at the easiest.

which is the side that usually wears down the most? the finger that pushes the pushrods? or the side that pushes the valves.?

Pete@Backyard Racing
22-05-2009, 01:30
av u made sure uve got the rocker pedistal wiv the oil hole in it on the right end?