PDA

View Full Version : Cash for "bangers"

Junglist
18-05-2009, 19:02
So the goverment have decided to give anyone who has a car over 10 years old £2000 off a new one :sad2:
So does this mean then that all cars over 10 years old are worth £2000 more ?

Sure there are gonna be people who are gonna buy a car for a couple of squid just to get the 2 grand off. The cars then get crushed.
Id like to think my 5 is worth more than that.

D4WNO
18-05-2009, 19:03
Nope, the car has to have an MOT and has to be under the present ownership for at least 12 months, else it's not eligable

Check the link:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_177693

Misky
18-05-2009, 19:10
My mums doing this with the poor old saxo :(
Shes geting a new mazda 2.

The only problem the gov have atm is the taxing of this.
Also according to mazda the gov are giving 1K and mazda are matching it. But they dont enjoy doing it, as we asked for cheeky little extras like you do such as matts but no such luck as they claim they are making so little due to this scrappage scheme. :rolleyes:

Junglist
18-05-2009, 19:10
Good then used car sales wont shoot up to £2000 :)

dangerous dave
18-05-2009, 19:16
my mate said i should chop in my old 5 for a new motor and get 2k off...

i told him he should go and f**k himself....:D

Junglist
18-05-2009, 19:25
my mate said i should chop in my old 5 for a new motor and get 2k off...

i told him he should go and f**k himself....:D
good

Kenobi
18-05-2009, 19:55
I need Mash for Bangers.

clee
18-05-2009, 19:59
They'll be appointing Clarkson as Minister of Transport next ...

R5GTTRaider
18-05-2009, 20:09
tho its ok if you have the cash or cash in place for finance which i have neither , if i asked thered laugh and have the big blokes remove me!!

and i dont think id be happy with a new car, id have nothing to tinker with
i kina like a car that needs attention all the time, or it becomes just a car and no love in it, well thats what i feel

Ashy
18-05-2009, 20:25
cool, might trade the 5 in for something new :)

Mart
18-05-2009, 22:38
Waste of time, imho. That £2k you 'save' will dissolve in depreciation value after a few months of owning the car, so you're gonna be no better off than if you were to simply buy a 2nd hand motor that's several months/a year old, except that'll naturally be a few grand, if not more, cheaper, hence that being more appealing to ya average punter...unless you're one of those people that has to have a brand new shmoo car each year.

If the car manufacturers can still make a profit selling new cars at these lowered prices, it just goes to show how much they've been striping up people over years gone by. As per usual, it's greed greed greed in this country, so f*ck 'em, they won't be getting a penny of my money.

Big Steve - Raider
18-05-2009, 22:41
so f*ck 'em, they won't be getting a penny of my money.

:mart:

Mart
18-05-2009, 22:51
:D

What they also don't tell you, more so from a performance car point of view anyway, is that you'll be paying a higher road tax compared to a pre-March 2001 manufactured hot hatch/sports motor.

I pay £185 per year for the heave ho. If I had a modern day equivalent (the new X, say), I'd be paying ~£400.

Add on the depreciation effect of when you drive ya brand new car out the showroom, and suddenly that £2k 'saving' isn't looking so great...

Penfold aka The Dealer
18-05-2009, 22:53
The point is most people who have a car over 10 years old cant afford a new car anyway... unless they go down the finance route...

It suits the older couple who's partner may have an old small car for the "miss's" trader that and the husband treat himself to a nice new motor and the wife takes the husbands old car... (this is not a sexist thing or anything just an example)

TBH its Bullsh*t to the extreme!!

The new Bill J
18-05-2009, 23:01
Another thing; If you go into a car showroom with the intention of buying a new car, the odds are pretty good that you'd be able to haggle £2k's worth out of the salesman. Whether that be all discount, or a combination of discount/extras. With this new scheme, that blows that out of the water.

Now if you've got an old car worth say £1k, you could sell that, then haggle £2k's worth from Mr Salesman, and you're a grand better off than you are with this new scheme :scratch:

Billy-G
18-05-2009, 23:02
This was an economy built on debt. Plastic, never never millionaires.

This is all about getting the sheeple back in debt again and helping out the korean and japanese car industry. Hell, your interest payments alone would wipe out your 2k saving.

As Mart said, factor in the depreciation, and you'd need to be a ****ing mug to go for this.

i l k e r
19-05-2009, 07:12
As per usual, it's greed greed greed in this country, so f*ck 'em, they won't be getting a penny of my money.

it's the same everywhere my friend :crap:

they've been doing the said sheme here for over 3 years now, so not just your country :sad2:

Alex
19-05-2009, 09:15
I have an old 1994 BMW 325i as my daily car. It's quite nice, comfy, reliable and goes well enough.

If I want to drive a new similar spec'd BMW it'll cost about 30k I would imagine. So with the 2k I'd get for mine I'd still have to find circa 28k?!

Unless I want to drive round in a "tin can" and shell out more for the privilage...:scratch:

Mart
19-05-2009, 09:29
it's the same everywhere my friend :crap:

they've been doing the said sheme here for over 3 years now, so not just your country :sad2:

Has it been 'successful' over there mate?

I read somewhere that sales of new cars increased 40% odd in Germany, but their scheme was somewhat more appealing (no surprise there then) to joe public than the bollox on offer here (again, no surprise there... :crap: ).

i l k e r
19-05-2009, 16:01
Has it been 'successful' over there mate?

I read somewhere that sales of new cars increased 40% odd in Germany, but their scheme was somewhat more appealing (no surprise there then) to joe public than the bollox on offer here (again, no surprise there... :crap: ).

well we can call it succesfull I guess, mainly because you can use the money towards a second hand car if it's newly imported and not registered yet.

on the other hand, finance options are not really feasible over here, it's not easy to get finance and even if you do, interest rates are very high.

so it's never a win win situation I'm afraid :sad2:

Nayls
19-05-2009, 17:36
I was in yeovil earlier today,they had 3 car's parked in the high street advertising the scheme!

Mazda's deal does come with a 0% finance option though,so all is not bad.

personally i'l stick with the 5 though :)

Chris Hebden
19-05-2009, 20:48
I thought the car dealers claim the £2k back off the government, so would you really loose the barter tool when meeting the salesperson? I'm not sure how its going to work personnally, just a thought?!

As it has been covered i dont think it is a good option for the average person. New cars are so expensive to maintain thanthe likes of the 5! When the engine blew on mine everyone said oh 2k blah blah but i cant fix new cars and how the hell am i going to rebuild an engine for less than £300, not possible! (Rant over)