PDA

View Full Version : benefits of a cam & springs

djinuk
18-05-2009, 10:35
Ok, at some point in the not so distant future i will be rebuilding my r5 engine. Whilst in bits i was wondering what the benfits of fitting a cam and springs would be. I plan to run a t25 and keep it as a fun car to drive aswell as fairley reliable. Also what are the costs of cams and is there anything to bear in mind when fitting them?

Sparkie
18-05-2009, 11:32
you own a 205 gti and dont know anything about cams?

djinuk
18-05-2009, 11:54
Its not so much that, i understand the 205 gti has whats considered as a very lumpy cam as standard. For that reason unless you wish for a pretty undriveable road car folks dont really advise you change them, hence ive never really opted for a different cam in mine. And instead went for a larger more efficient engine.

However i was wondering how the r5's benefit from difffrent cams, and whether the standard cam is perfectly adequate for fast road cars. Reason being ive seen so many car profiles that seem to have performance cams fitted.

Brigsy
18-05-2009, 12:35
If you have a full t25 or bigger turbo a decent cam is a worthy mod. For smaller turbo's id keep the std cam.

Sparkie
18-05-2009, 12:52
just wondered what exactly you wanted to know - and what you knew already :D

i'd agree with the Brig-meister though. if you have a t25 with a t2 back end, then i'd stick with a standard cam

djinuk
18-05-2009, 13:01
lol, yea i understand the basics of cams and what they do, i just dont yet understand the diffrent terms and number with regards to lifts and durations etc. But if you say Standard should be fine ill stick with that for the time being :). Thanks

Rob@Backyardracing
18-05-2009, 13:12
even with a bigger turbo, stock cam is no problem, ant@byr ran 12.6@108 stock cam with a "big" (gt28 .63) turbo, most people only run 110mph even with a piper etc. not much of a power increase given the low end torque lost.