PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise, front end Quick reply please

theweekendhaslanded
18-05-2009, 09:12
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi.

At 1st I thought it was the engine mounts but I have worked out that its the N/S front suspension top mount.

Apparently its a common fault?

What parts will I need to sort out? and any idea of cost?

Thanks.

Tiny Tim
18-05-2009, 09:14
You cant give a quick answer without knowing exactly what the problem is.

Try getting the front end in the air on axle stands and giving the struts etc a good shake.

theweekendhaslanded
18-05-2009, 09:22
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

You cant give a quick answer without knowing exactly what the problem is.

Try getting the front end in the air on axle stands and giving the struts etc a good shake.

Done that, it wobbles like feck:eek:

Misky
18-05-2009, 09:26
Top mounts may not be fixed. 2 bolts each side of the suspension mounts.

Tiny Tim
18-05-2009, 09:28
From the top rather than the bottom I gather?

Ideally you need to whip it out (shock, not c0ck) and dismantle. Hopefully the top mount isnt screwed as they're no longer available.
It's been a while since i've pulled apart the suspension on a 5 so I'm sure someone can point you in the direction of what's needed.. i know they're a different set-up to the campus though.

Being an E-reg and looking at the photos, yours looks to be like my old black one, a phase '1.5'... Mine had the phase 2 shocks on it.

michael tierney
18-05-2009, 11:31
i'd say ur looking at a top hat(spring retainer),the inside usually breaks through.cgb has them

price82
18-05-2009, 21:08
fitted a top hat on mine took about 10 min although i am a mechanic lol

jantheeven
19-05-2009, 08:17
i'd say ur looking at a top hat(spring retainer),the inside usually breaks through.cgb has them

Yup... I've had the same issue... knocking sounds on the driver's side... and when I took the lot off, the inside of the top hat was in 5 pieces :crap: Got new suspension parts from CGB.