PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke

RAGOONEY
17-05-2009, 12:09
Car idles with no blue smoke, even when reving stood still no blue smoke, but when under slight load driving blue smoke!.....Car doesn't seem to be rumbling out of the exhaust like it used to on over run....possible broken turbo???

turbodave
17-05-2009, 12:31
oil seels in turbo

price82
17-05-2009, 12:37
without doubt turbo seals will only get worse sorry!

RAGOONEY
17-05-2009, 14:01
Cheers guys...Ebay here I come!:)

jesus in the seat of a 5
17-05-2009, 14:42
Cheers guys...Ebay here I come!:)

try buying from the club buddy, e bay turbo`s are mank......:scared:

R5GTTRaider
17-05-2009, 16:28
try buying from the club buddy, e bay turbo`s are mank......:scared:

From what I've read they are, why not replace seals? Or is that to much hassle?

Markey Mark (BD)
17-05-2009, 16:37
Doesn't sound like turbo to me mate, if it was turbo it'll be smoking on idle. Possibly stem seals or rings have gone, you got much pressure coming out of the rocker oil cap?

Shakes
17-05-2009, 17:05
indeed the oil seal has gone on my turbo, and its the oppiset effects it smokes alot of blue smoke, once its warm and idling, when on boost theres No blue smoke at all, you should get it checked out before you go replacing the turbo.
i had a few quotes looking at £225 for a rebuild.

RAGOONEY
17-05-2009, 19:57
Doesn't sound like turbo to me mate, if it was turbo it'll be smoking on idle. Possibly stem seals or rings have gone, you got much pressure coming out of the rocker oil cap?

How do I check for pressure coming out the rocker cap? Hope its not the rings...just done the headgasket the other day! Is the rings a big job?

Markey Mark (BD)
17-05-2009, 20:23
How do I check for pressure coming out the rocker cap? Hope its not the rings...just done the headgasket the other day! Is the rings a big job?

Run the engine and take the oil cap off, you see puffs/fumes come out if you have pressure in the oil system.

To do rings it'll mean the pistons out to change them so engine pretty much stripped down

Nick k
17-05-2009, 20:36
oil seels in turbo

I reckon turbo seals too. It sounds like when the turbo is just tricking along its leaking oil past the seals. Does'nt leak when turbo shaft is stationary or at high revs. You can't simulate this type of fault when the car is stood still revving it or idling engine. :scared:

gtmatt
17-05-2009, 20:40
what oil are you using as well ???
thin oil can cause this :)

Brigsy
17-05-2009, 20:40
If oil is going past turbo oil seal when the shaft is spinning it will definately smoke when it is on idle & the shaft is almost at standstill.

Check for play in the turbo shaft. If the engine is breathing heavy id comp test it to check the rings.

Markey Mark (BD)
17-05-2009, 20:42
I honestly don't think its turbo, if it was oil would pass through the bearings and into the exhaust because oil pressure is pushing it out plus there's nothing the exhaust side to hold it back in (driving produces pressure in the exhaust to hold it back).

Best thing to do it check the turbo first to either determine if its that or illiminate it from the problem, check for play up and down or backwards and forwards.

Nick k
17-05-2009, 20:54
If oil is going past turbo oil seal when the shaft is spinning it will definately smoke when it is on idle & the shaft is almost at standstill.

Check for play in the turbo shaft. If the engine is breathing heavy id comp test it to check the rings.

Oil pressure at idle is alot lower though. If the seals are only slighty sha55ed they may hold oil pressure ok at idle but leak when the turbo is spinning but not at full rpm. It will get full oil pressure when tricking along/part load. :crap:

RAGOONEY
18-05-2009, 09:04
I will test for pressure from the rocker in my lunch break. I have a hunch it will be the turbo as when the head gasket went coolant was going through the manifold and forcing out through the turbo pi**ing every where! That may of knackered it!

RAGOONEY
18-05-2009, 14:33
Took the oil cap off when running, was only slight pressure, with no smoke puffing out of oil cap....presume this is normal? Replaced the turbo with an old unit and after a short drive the blue smoke stopped. However had a look in my breather system and that had loads of white mayo gunk in them, so could be blocked breather system...whats best to clean the pipes and breather pot with?? Another quick question....how easy are the valve stem seals to replace....you don't need to take the head off do you?? :)

Mart
18-05-2009, 14:45
White mayo in the breather circuit is either condensation (wouldn't have thought there'd be much this time of year though?), headgasket/liner failure, or coolant/water is finding another way into the oil circuit (cracked head, block, radiator).

You can change the stem seals without taking the head off (pressurise the given cylinder, or use the Draper tool), although it's usually easier & quicker to whip the head off & change the seals that way. Saying that, if the valve guides aren't worn, you don't really need to run stem seals anyway - Ph1's came from the factory without any in situ.

RAGOONEY
18-05-2009, 15:09
Just done the headgasket and have taken it for a few runs and there is no water loss, so don't think water is getting in the oil circuit, will keep an eye out for water loss though. This may of occured when the head gasket was failing letting water in to the oil circuit without me knowing...until the head gasket finally went! Hence after fixing the head gasket getting blue smoke from the blocked breather circuit. Will clean it out and see what happens. Cheers for the advice on the stem seals too.