PDA

View Full Version : shimming oil pump spring

djinuk
16-05-2009, 00:13
As ive been having oil pressure problems i was wondering if maybe sticking 1/2 washers behind the oil pump spring may be worth a go to increase the pressure some. Tomorrow ill be dropped the sump anyway so wont get many more minutes to do this.

TrixNFlix
16-05-2009, 06:57
Where abouts is this spring you speak off?I've just put new oil pump internals into my rebuild and never saw any spring. Getting worried now

Adam 005
16-05-2009, 08:45
I used a 6mm spring washer behind the spring which took the brake off pressure to 5 bar on a brand new renault pump:agree:.Doing this mod is not a repair for low oil pressure it more used to lift pressure when running seprate oil coolers:agree:

raj
16-05-2009, 09:16
someone should knock up a few pics and add them to the articles section :)

TrixNFlix
16-05-2009, 09:58
Can someone please post a pic of were the spring is located as I need to now asap as I'm putting my rebuilt engine back in today. Cheers

djinuk
16-05-2009, 10:16
behind this split pin matey

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/pressurereliefspringwithcotterpinmo.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/cotterpinrefittedwithwasher.jpg

TrixNFlix
16-05-2009, 10:23
Ah ok. Appreciated djinuk. Does anyone now if these need to be replaced when putting in new oil pump internals caus this is one of the only bits I've not replaced or touched. I will also be running a 10 row oil cooler so wondering if I need to use a spacer. Oh decisions. I think I worry to much:crap:

djinuk
16-05-2009, 12:36
im not 100% but id imagine that the springs probably do loose tension over time and its probably not an expensive part from renault so wouldnt hurt i imagine. Sparkie seems pretty clued up on oil pumps/pressures, maybe worth dropping him a pm.

Adam 005
16-05-2009, 22:29
Ah ok. Appreciated djinuk. Does anyone now if these need to be replaced when putting in new oil pump internals caus this is one of the only bits I've not replaced or touched. I will also be running a 10 row oil cooler so wondering if I need to use a spacer. Oh decisions. I think I worry to much:crap:

i would shim the pump spring if fitting an oil cooler

c5 swh
16-05-2009, 23:22
What size washer is needed? is it just a case of pulling the split pin out put in washer then back in with split pin?

Mart
16-05-2009, 23:51
Shouldn't need to shim the pump/run a higher oil pressure, as o.e spec is fine.

If your circuit oil pressure is low, find the reason & rectify it, rather than fudging it, imho...

Matt Cole
17-05-2009, 09:54
Do we know what the max flow rate is on the standard pump and the pressure drop through the system?? No point in upping the pressure if the pump is already somwhere near its design flow rate.

Nad-5GTT
26-02-2013, 18:22
behind this split pin matey

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/pressurereliefspringwithcotterpinmo.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/cotterpinrefittedwithwasher.jpg

Have you had any issue with that spring washer fallen out?

Kris M
26-02-2013, 18:40
You put the washer under the spring so it can't go anywhere

Nad-5GTT
26-02-2013, 18:51
You put the washer under the spring so it can't go anywhere

Ye that's what I'm thinking, washer, then spring then split pin. I copied how it was done in the above pic a few years ago but haven't had the engine running since and now I'm paranoid that it's going to fall out:eek:

Kris M
26-02-2013, 19:01
Yeah I've always put the washer in first. If the OD of the washer is close to that of the spring, I'd thing it would be unlikely that it would fall out?!

Nad-5GTT
26-02-2013, 21:01
Yeah I've always put the washer in first. If the OD of the washer is close to that of the spring, I'd thing it would be unlikely that it would fall out?!

The spring washer that i put in was the same size o/d. Has anyone done it the way in the picture above?

Brigsy
26-02-2013, 21:59
Put the washer in first, a small sprung washer will fit in. I wouldn't put it at the other end your asking for trouble

Nad-5GTT
26-02-2013, 22:08
Put the washer in first, a small sprung washer will fit in. I wouldn't put it at the other end your asking for trouble

Unfortunately I know that your right, it might stay in place but I'd be paranoid all the time. Looks like ill be dropping the sump again. :crap: