PDA

View Full Version : swapping doors

djinuk
15-05-2009, 09:30
How easy is it to remove, and refit r5 doors generally, are they on pins that are simply knocked out? is there a method of removing play from doors.

Rob1980
15-05-2009, 09:33
I dont know how easy they are to remove but I believe that to correct a dropped door for example its a matter of drilling them out slightly and fitting larger pins accordingly...

BriC
15-05-2009, 09:34
Pretty easy mate.. Well, that's on cars with Roll Pins. I couldn't comment on the torx screw ones, as I've never done those before. But roll pins - you just need a punch, and a hammer. They can be a bit stiff, but you just have to hammer the punch harder :D

My dad uses a Citroen DS pushrod as a punch. I've heard the draper kits are a bit cack and bend easily - this pushrod certainly don't bend easy :D

BriC
15-05-2009, 09:36
I dont know how easy they are to remove but I believe that to correct a dropped door for example its a matter of drilling them out slightly and fitting larger pins accordingly...

Yeh that. Or fitting sleeves to the hinges, so you don't have to muck about with the doors. Check out my project thread Dj, if that's what you need to do.

DaveMayGTT
15-05-2009, 09:43
Be carefull if your dealing with the torx bolts, they can snap quite easily and it leaves you with the nasty job of drilling them out and there is not a lot of space to get a drill in there, even a right angle one

djinuk
15-05-2009, 09:46
spot on, well i need another door yet, but i will be swapping the doors as mine are past saving. Ill take a look at your thread im not 100% on how a sleeve would work. Need to do it though.

BriC
15-05-2009, 09:54
OK mate - send member Deano off here a PM if you choose to sleeve the hinges - he did my sleeves and they were perfect for the job

djinuk
15-05-2009, 10:01
sweet, so if ive got this right, the choices are to either drill the hinge and fit a larger pin, how exactly does a sleeve work.? thanks for the help.

BriC
15-05-2009, 10:07
Your choices are:

* Drill out the hinge on the body of the car, and drill the hinge on the door, then fit a larger roll pin (more work imo, plus if you wish to sell your doors at a later point, it may put some people off, as they've been drilled out!)

* Drill out the hinge on the body of the car to a certain diameter (I got sleeves with an external diameter of 8.4mm, and an internal of 7mm (7mm is the standard diameter)), then fit the sleeve in the door (take a look at my thread, it may give you a better idea, as I uploaded piccies :) ), then fit the door as normal, with a normal roll pin. Don't forget to add plenty of grease though when you're fitting the pins to avoid future damage to the hinge.

djinuk
15-05-2009, 10:16
ah sweet, yea that makes sence, are the sleeves just made to order than, and tapped into teh hinge to provide an interference fit, or do they need to be welded in or somthing?

BriC
15-05-2009, 10:24
ah sweet, yea that makes sence, are the sleeves just made to order than, and tapped into teh hinge to provide an interference fit, or do they need to be welded in or somthing?

Interference fit :)

djinuk
15-05-2009, 10:48
ah that sounds ideal then.. now i just need to find another decent door :D

Pete@Backyard Racing
16-05-2009, 13:31
tip, knock the roll pins from outside to inside :)

BriC
16-05-2009, 16:36
tip, knock the roll pins from outside to inside :)

The man speaks the truth.. forgot to mention that :agree: