PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a bleed valve V's adjusting wastegate actuator

Tillax
13-05-2009, 17:37
Does anybody know anything about this? :scratch:

I'm trying to achieve a 12psi boost with a standard set up, apparently fitting a bleed valve is a cheaper and easier way of controlling the boost.

Anybody know what the pro's and cons are of using bleed valves to control boost?

JRP
13-05-2009, 17:42
all you want is 12psi, dont waste your money, get a boost gauge, and adjust via the actuator. job done

Bigfoot
13-05-2009, 17:43
Fitting a bleed valve is easier to control higher boost with a standard actuator as they dont normally hold that well. Holding low psi, 15psi or less you might as well just adjust the actuator and it will be the cheapest option. Adjusting the actuator is free, so dont know how you work out getting a bleed valve being the cheapest.

Brigsy
13-05-2009, 17:45
Adjust the actuator, the std one should be able to hold that amount of boost ok. Bleed valves are shady, steer clear unless its 100% necessary.

R5GTTRaider
13-05-2009, 18:01
i adjusted my actuator after having no end of probs with the boost controler, mine holds 14si all the time no problem
so yes i would say its best to use the actuater for now till you go big psi, as you will do,:D

Mart
13-05-2009, 18:13
Except of course, that you can still run big boost (via the actuator) without a bleed valve in situ.

Tillax
13-05-2009, 18:19
thanks for the advice all.

yes, i think that the guy who is doing the work on my car had just fitted me a new heatshield, the prospect of taking it off again to adjust the actuator was all a bit much, hence he was trying to steer me in the direction of a bleed valve

Thanks for steering me (and now him) in the right direction!

Bigfoot
13-05-2009, 18:21
Except of course, that you can still run big boost (via the actuator) without a bleed valve in situ.

So a standard actuator will hold 22psi no problems? or you need to replace it for a stronger spring.

Mart
13-05-2009, 18:26
I thought that would've been an obvious answer Dale?

My reply was to r5gttraider's "i would say its best to use the actuater for now till you go big psi" which, to me, on the basis of the thread title, reads that you'd need a bleed valve to run big boost, which isn't true, hence my reply.

Bigfoot
13-05-2009, 18:36
Mart it wasn't a question, more of a point you need to upgrade the actuator before running big boost, rather than just saying you can still run big boost on an actuator. A electronic boost controller that will hold the boost better at high psi :) shouldn't see any decrease in pressure like a lot of people do.

Brigsy
13-05-2009, 18:42
The std actuator on a t2 will hold more that the amount of boost the unit will run safely.

I once had 28lb when i left the actuator pipe off though:D

On my current setup i have maxed out the -31 at 22lb, it simply won't hold any more boost with preload unless i keep the wastegate shut. I have used a bleed valve to set the req boost as i have been warned away from fitting a -34.

Mart
13-05-2009, 18:45
Dale, your post had a ? after the first comment, hence I thought it was a question.

Disagree, in that you can run 22psi off a standard actuator.

Of course, if it's got plenty of wear & tear from years of operating, then naturally it might not hold till that pressure threshold, hence you'd need to uprate the spring (which you can't on an o.e actuator anyway - Well ok, you can, but it's a long-winded process), or fit another actuator with a higher pressure release spring.

As I said, I thought all this would've been obvious, and that we're not trying to teach each other to suck eggs...

price82
13-05-2009, 19:07
just a friendly note i adjusted mine and snapped it clean off even after loads of lube!!! lol

R5GTTRaider
13-05-2009, 19:20
what did you snap off

price82
13-05-2009, 19:23
rod that screws into actuator it was v rusty

Mart
13-05-2009, 19:25
That would explain the snapping of it then...

RICHIE
13-05-2009, 19:25
just a friendly note i adjusted mine and snapped it clean off even after loads of lube!!! lol

ive seem this happen a few times i tend to heat them up then give them a go

R5GTTRaider
13-05-2009, 19:26
o not good...
i just undone the nut and held the shaft with a pair of pump pliers and twisted the other part with a screw driver by using the hole, of corse with the arm off the wastegate leaver

Bigfoot
13-05-2009, 19:38
Hmm, nothing quite like a bit of egg sucking :laugh:

Should have said retorical question, but you know me, never quite get what im saying right first time round.

Kris M
13-05-2009, 22:55
ive seem this happen a few times i tend to heat them up then give them a go

Cue, Logg and Big Dans PMT actuator fix at the roadside on route to the ring !! :D

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=90&pictureid=3128