PDA

View Full Version : bit sick

bradzr5
12-05-2009, 20:41
my car is spitting belts lyk they are nothing does any1 now how this can be stopped??? also my water temp has stopped working too any ideas???

RICHIE
12-05-2009, 20:45
my car is spitting belts lyk they are nothing does any1 now how this can be stopped??? also my water temp has stopped working too any ideas???

what type belt are you using in my opinion is the toothed style tend to want to come off. is the bottom pulley wheel set correctly and does the alternator have any play in it best way is to watch it when running to give you an idea of whats going on. and the water temp wires are sat on the water pump see if they have come off

James George
12-05-2009, 20:46

knackered water pump, or alot of runout on bottom pulley check everything is in line and there is no play in the pulleys and belt is in good nick. should also be a pin on the water pump holding belt in place.

with regards to water temp check the wires are plugged into the sensor on the back of the water pump

Markey Mark (BD)
12-05-2009, 20:47
Check the alternator bushings they wear and cause the alternator to sit on the piss, this will cause belts to throw off.

bradzr5
12-05-2009, 20:49
what type belt are you using in my opinion is the toothed style tend to want to come off. is the bottom pulley wheel set correctly and does the alternator have any play in it best way is to watch it when running to give you an idea of whats going on. and the water temp wires are sat on the water pump see if they have come off

it is a toothed style one, got a few with the car itself. had to take it a garage today and they said the bottom cog was out a bit and that might make it jump off. the water temp was working but it started jumping today and now i cant get anything up on it. the water was overfilled a liitle but managed to suck out a bit to level it out

Mr 5
12-05-2009, 21:13
you havent been over-revvin it have you ?

sitting trying to make the car "dump" without moving takes alot of rev's....which makes the belt drop off....plonk....

mightymanx
13-05-2009, 00:49
i had this problem a few years ago on a old gtt i had had loads of belts snapped them all tryd a diffrent alternator on still did it
turned out it was the big long bolt that holds the alternator on had become a little bent and put it out of line a lil replaced it was great :D

bradzr5
13-05-2009, 13:34
bo i now it does it wen ya rev too much, it done just after i went over a speed bump, so think it might have nocked it or something my main concern is the water temp cant get a reading at all now, the pump is suckin the water though

bradzr5
14-05-2009, 08:13
does any1 know were the water temp gauge sensor runs too???

Tiny Tim
14-05-2009, 08:32
Where the sensor sits? It's on the back of the waterpump.

bradzr5
14-05-2009, 08:46
thanx tiny, gonna try bleeding the system first and making sure there is no air in the system

bradzr5
14-05-2009, 09:31
system has been bled and no air is in there at all, still no reading, think i can see were the sensor goes but can find anything around it i.e. wires, does any1 have a pics of theres by any chance???? how hard is it to fit another guage to it rather than the one that is on the dial??

thanx for all the help peoples

Tiny Tim
14-05-2009, 09:33
So there's no wires coming out of the sensor at all? - That'll be your problem mate ;)

bradzr5
14-05-2009, 09:35
there is one wire with a clip on it wich is orange and a green one without a clip they are the only two there tried putting them on but nothing, might try getting a clip for the other one and putting on that way

Tiny Tim
14-05-2009, 09:38
So you've got two terminals on the sensor yes? (If I remember, the phase 1 sensors only had 1 wire).

Re-crimp both wires with new spade connectors and give it a try.

RICHIE
14-05-2009, 09:40
im sure they work on resistance so make sure they are the right way round

bradzr5
15-05-2009, 16:39
re crimped both wires and did have them the wrong way round but all is fixed now haha just gotta sort out my speedo and it will be fine, thanx for all the help