PDA

View Full Version : cleaning turbo

TrixNFlix
12-05-2009, 19:07
right i've done an engine rebuild and its going in at the weekend:eek:. Question is this, i wanna clean up the turbo, to get rid of the years of crap and am thinking of gunking it up inside and out, then power washing it, then dry with girlfriends hairdryer :D then use some engine oil pour it through the top oil feed and spin the compressor to lube it up;)

Before someone says the turbo is of the car :D

what do you reckon?

RICHIE
12-05-2009, 19:19
right i've done an engine rebuild and its going in at the weekend:eek:. Question is this, i wanna clean up the turbo, to get rid of the years of crap and am thinking of gunking it up inside and out, then power washing it, then dry with girlfriends hairdryer :D then use some engine oil pour it through the top oil feed and spin the compressor to lube it up;)

Before someone says the turbo is of the car :D

what do you reckon?

a recipee for disaster pouring cleaning substances into a turbo and blasting it with water

JRP
12-05-2009, 19:26
id leave it, most probs is quite happy in all its grease and ****.. it will feel naked with out it and blow up

TrixNFlix
12-05-2009, 19:28
ok guys u win :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Purple_rob
12-05-2009, 19:37
clean it with WD40 inside and out and then lube it before it goes on the car??

although you dont want a stray bit of crap going in there do you :p

D4WNO
13-05-2009, 17:32
This is the thing, the slightest bit of mess or swarf in there will screw the turbo beyond relief. This is why you run an air filter with a turbo, it keeps the particles away from the compressor vanes. Oh and rather than use WD40, why not run engine oil through it before giving the compressor wheel a spin instead? Just always remember how sensitive turbos are...and how expensive they are to replace, lol

...I'm becoming a geek now, I need to dump Adam :laugh:

clee
13-05-2009, 17:38
Dump him to atmosphere or re-circ ??:laugh::wasntme:

Brigsy
13-05-2009, 17:41
As miss Dawno says whatever you do don't get anything inside. If its mucky inside it wont matter/hurt it anyway..

The outside of the compressor housing can be cleaned though, even polished if your bufty. No point doing the exhaust housing though. I definitely wouldn't be pressure washing it that's a recipe for disaster.

Block all visible holes properly before doing any cleaning, make sure no crap gets in. Id take the compressor housing off to clean it myself, if you have the tools its far safer.

D4WNO
13-05-2009, 17:42
Dump him to atmosphere or re-circ ??:laugh::wasntme:

PMSL, best response to a post...EVER!! :laugh:

TrixNFlix
13-05-2009, 17:55
gonna have a quick look at it now and maybe run a bit of oil through it and bolt it back on engine. only 3 days before i get to put it back in car and drive it woooo:smokin:

Tiny Tim
13-05-2009, 17:56
Wooooooooo!

Weeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

BOOM!

Oh.

jesus in the seat of a 5
13-05-2009, 17:58
Wooooooooo!

BOOM!

Oh.

Dont jinx it...whiney slim...:laugh:

TrixNFlix
13-05-2009, 18:01
Wooooooooo!

BOOM!

Oh. ]

to be fair im half expecting this as nothing surprises me with this ca r:wasntme:

R5GTTRaider
13-05-2009, 18:02
ah u know it wont blow up:coffee:

Adam L
13-05-2009, 18:11
This is the thing, the slightest bit of mess or swarf in there will screw the turbo beyond relief. This is why you run an air filter with a turbo, it keeps the particles away from the compressor vanes. Oh and rather than use WD40, why not run engine oil through it before giving the compressor wheel a spin instead? Just always remember how sensitive turbos are...and how expensive they are to replace, lol

...I'm becoming a geek now, I need to dump Adam :laugh:

Oh dear, i'll be forwarding all my pm's to you now.

I'd think about using an inline filter too, if you've just rebuilt the engine...

TrixNFlix
13-05-2009, 18:14
I'd think about using an inline filter too, if you've just rebuilt the engine...

Ordered last week from hose solutions :agree:

D4WNO
18-05-2009, 12:24
How did you get on?

Tiny Tim
18-05-2009, 12:26
Whiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

pop

BANG!

TrixNFlix
18-05-2009, 21:48
[QUOTE]How did you get on?/QUOTE]

Well progress was slow as i only managed to get hold of an engine crane on sunday. My car is situated 25 miles away so my runaround aka the mouse had the pleasure of grafting like a bitch! :eek:

D4WNO
18-05-2009, 21:57
Oooooh, you never mentioned you were building a rear-engined Fiat! :eek:

TrixNFlix
18-05-2009, 22:16
[QUOTE]Oooooh, you never mentioned you were building a rear-engined Fiat! /QUOTE]

Ha ha , well as soon as me and my mate hauled it in we thought the same thing, :)
maybe in the future, just got to much on with working 6 days a week, trying to get this damn car running and also renovating my house while living in it:eek: Deffo think i might die from stress:laugh:

This is how it currently stands

TrixNFlix
18-05-2009, 22:25
Whiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

pop

BANG!

Just gotta wrap elbow put a few more water hoses on and should be ready. will try to get it done after work this week if i have the motivation.

tiny tim cross your fingers for me :yeah: