PDA

View Full Version : Mini Gt turbo - Marky mark & Gttnutter

Gttnutter
10-05-2009, 22:24
Ok so myself and mark bought this project around christmas time.

We new about this mini for a few years and its previous owners who had started the work and we believe just gave up. The engine was in situ along with the clio front subframe but that was how it was left for a few years. We heard the last chap was selling due to needing money sharpish and no space for it so we snapped it up in a sorry state for a cheap as chip price :agree:

We have no intention of making this road legal for reasons that the shell has seen better days, but for some pod fun etc etc..

This was the day of picking the project up
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/mini1.jpg

R5GTTRaider
10-05-2009, 22:32
cool. so half the wieght of a r5 + a r5 turb engine = good fun :laugh:

id love a go in that, fook trying to steer in to the first corner, infact fook the tourqe steer!!!!

in fact fook the hole thing lol

na looks good, if you got a clio subframe that has been made to fit a mini chassis why not pick up a mini shell and fit it on to a road worthy one!!

Gttnutter
10-05-2009, 22:38
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/mini2.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/mini3.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/mini4.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/mini6.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/mini8.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/mini5.jpg

close up on the pic can be found in marks profile

c7borg
10-05-2009, 22:43
That'll be a lot of fun.. I've seen those z-cars conversions !!

Gttnutter
10-05-2009, 22:45
Theres plenty still to do but we've been mainly welding up and making better what the previous guys did, it may not look pretty but it'll hopefully be ready for rtoc pod day for its 1st run

There be plenty of tweeking to do after that.

James5
10-05-2009, 23:00
Looks fecking fantastic.

Markey Mark (BD)
11-05-2009, 16:50
There be plenty of tweeking to do after that.

Oh there will be some tweeking mate, once we see how it goes at pod day we'll look into getting a bit more power out the engine.

Do me one favour though mate, stop me going too made on it and remind me i have a red 5 in the garage to finish off also:laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
11-05-2009, 16:57
na looks good, if you got a clio subframe that has been made to fit a mini chassis why not pick up a mini shell and fit it on to a road worthy one!!

To be honest mate the 5 front end which was used in the back end has been fully welded in now so would be a pain to get out again. The shell has seen better days but its pretty safe now, i wouldn't run a totally rotten car as it wouldn't be safe at all.

If you are popping to the Pod day more than welcome to pop over and have a good old look mate.

fidos got a raider
12-05-2009, 09:55
Hope all goes well mate

Kenobi
12-05-2009, 11:46
Think Djnuk is forcing me to go so i cant wait to see this biscuit tin hit Warp 9.

djinuk
12-05-2009, 12:29
Think Djnuk is forcing me to go so i cant wait to see this biscuit tin hit Warp 9.

No forcing, just think its rude not to ;) ,

Blick
12-05-2009, 20:53
cant wait2 see this finished chaps!!!!! :agree:

hydrotec78
15-05-2009, 10:02
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Looks fecking fantastic.

It dose now I have worked my wounders with a mig ! I still want to see if it can lift the front wheels !

Markey Mark (BD)
15-05-2009, 14:35

It dose now I have worked my wounders with a mig ! I still want to see if it can lift the front wheels !

What you mean 'i', think you'll find 'we' done it (although more you than me i give you that)! :D;)

hydrotec78
15-05-2009, 14:49

What you mean 'i', think you'll find 'we' done it (although more you than me i give you that)! :D;)

Sorry mate couldn't help it ! Do you have enough plate to finnish it off on sunday?

Markey Mark (BD)
15-05-2009, 14:51

Sorry mate couldn't help it ! Do you have enough plate to finnish it off on sunday?

I still got a few bits from that plate i bought left and that sheet in the back of your van so hopefully should have enough left.

Waterpipes and wiring will be done tomorrow so hope to have a few pic's of that in the evening

hydrotec78
15-05-2009, 14:58

Ask / tell the boy to bring the cover over just in case the weather turns , I have thought of a plan for the seat guard. I will try and gets my poors on it for sunday!

Markey Mark (BD)
15-05-2009, 14:58

Ask / tell the boy to bring the cover over just in case the weather turns , I have thought of a plan for the seat guard. I will try and gets my poors on it for sunday!

Done alreday

hydrotec78
15-05-2009, 15:59

I have got the hoses and fittings for the oil cooler , I picked up stright and 90s so you have a choice, we need too take back what we don't use monday and do the ticket then.

Markey Mark (BD)
17-05-2009, 16:03
Update today.

We now have a seat, steering columm and pedal in the car. Half the wiring and pipework for the engine has been done too. Its not been the best weather today but managed to get it all done while getting abit wet.

Will post up some pics soon, thankfully its getting there and hopefully finish most of it next weekend. Can't believe we may of actually built the whole car within a month which isn't bad going.

Adey aka Ewok
17-05-2009, 16:34
nice one, whats the weight of one of these then?

Markey Mark (BD)
17-05-2009, 16:40
nice one, whats the weight of one of these then?

Not too sure mate but will be weighting it once its done. All i can say is it feels a hell of alot lighter than a 5.

hydrotec78
17-05-2009, 18:28
Update today.

We now have a seat, steering columm and pedal in the car. Half the wiring and pipework for the engine has been done too. Its not been the best weather today but managed to get it all done while getting abit wet.

Will post up some pics soon, thankfully its getting there and hopefully finish most of it next weekend. Can't believe we may of actually built the whole car within a month which isn't bad going.

Who said rain stops play?????

Not the best cover known to man but it did us proud!:laugh:

rs250nut
17-05-2009, 21:38
I take my hat off to you chaps thats a fcuking good idea.:smokin: In some thing that weighs sub 700kgs and rear wheel drive is going to be ****ing rapid, did you say your taking it to the pod? If so can I have a ganders

Markey Mark (BD)
17-05-2009, 21:42
Yeah its coming to the pod mate (fingers crossed), more than welcome to come over and have alook.

Adey aka Ewok
17-05-2009, 21:53
i wana go in that bad boy, looks like it will be proper awesome, whats hapening engine wise to help it haul its feather weight ass up the strip?

Markey Mark (BD)
17-05-2009, 21:58
i wana go in that bad boy, looks like it will be proper awesome, whats hapening engine wise to help it haul its feather weight ass up the strip?

I'm sure you can have a go mate if you feel brave enough (not sure if i do yet! :laugh:).

I'm hopefully taking it to Tommy B's work to put it on the rollers the thursday before to set the fueling for about 18psi, its only a standard engine and T2 but as it'll only be used for that day i'm sure she'll be fine. I think i may play with it after that for another outing with a biger turbo and poss cam.

Adey aka Ewok
17-05-2009, 22:04
:agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
25-05-2009, 18:39
Its been a mad weekend trying to get the last bits done to the mini this weekend, thankfully we got the brakes done, clutch working, rad mounted, hose's finished on the engine, fuel lines run and the engine kicking over on the starter:D

Trouble is now we've hit a problem with it, we can't get the AEI to spark.:( I've tried everything today and still can't get the thing to spark, with spending a fair bit of time on this we've run out of time to do the last bits so it looks like the mini may not be making it on friday which has pissed me off.

Here's a of how it looks after today.

RICHIE
25-05-2009, 18:51
Its been a mad weekend trying to get the last bits done to the mini this weekend, thankfully we got the brakes done, clutch working, rad mounted, hose's finished on the engine, fuel lines run and the engine kicking over on the starter:D

Trouble is now we've hit a problem with it, we can't get the AEI to spark.:( I've tried everything today and still can't get the thing to spark, with spending a fair bit of time on this we've run out of time to do the last bits so it looks like the mini may not be making it on friday which has pissed me off.

Here's a of how it looks after today.

mark why not run a live direct to the aei unit mate to get a spark

Markey Mark (BD)
25-05-2009, 18:55
Done that, its got 12v going to it and a good earth going direct to bare metal bodywork.

ROB C2GTT
25-05-2009, 20:28
I think you should give up mate and let me have it like you suggested earlier:)

Markey Mark (BD)
25-05-2009, 20:38
I think you should give up mate and let me have it like you suggested earlier:)

Cross my palms with silver mate:D

hydrotec78
25-05-2009, 22:22
Never mind at least me and you tried to get it finnished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad::sad::sad::sad:

But if you look on the bright side you can get my engine done now !!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
25-05-2009, 22:27
Its almost there, never know it may come to me why its not working and could push to finish it but will have to see.

I knew you'd say that, yeah i'll be getting the piston done and fitting it all back together for you.:)

Markey Mark (BD)
04-07-2009, 14:46
UPDATE

Its been a while since i posted up here on the progress on the mini, after the problem with the AEI unit before Pod day it was left there far a week or so as i couldn't bare to see it again, 2 weeks ago deciede it was about time to start on it again to get it ready for USC and Nat Day.

I decided that as i have alittle more time i may have a paly with the engine and in a way i'm glad i did!
I bought a Piper 285 and valves springs to fit to the engine with my old modified 200SX turbo, after pulling the engine out to fit the cam i found the oil pump seriously worn aswell as the main bearings plus the pistons have seen better days. Quick and easy option was to find a desent running bottom end which i did (thanks Bod) and fit the bits to that one.

Now the mini has another bottom end, 285 fitted, valve springs in the head, turbo fitted, new exhaust as old one didn't fit new turbo, new clutch and a few other little bits.

A front flip has been found and fitted so now it looks more like a mini:D, tomorrow i'll be having another go with the aei so hopefully we will have ignition and here the thing fire up for the first time
Will get pic's tomorrow too.

hydrotec78
04-07-2009, 14:56
UPDATE

Its been a while since i posted up here on the progress on the mini, after the problem with the AEI unit before Pod day it was left there far a week or so as i couldn't bare to see it again, 2 weeks ago deciede it was about time to start on it again to get it ready for USC and Nat Day.

I decided that as i have alittle more time i may have a paly with the engine and in a way i'm glad i did!
I bought a Piper 285 and valves springs to fit to the engine with my old modified 200SX turbo, after pulling the engine out to fit the cam i found the oil pump seriously worn aswell as the main bearings plus the pistons have seen better days. Quick and easy option was to find a desent running bottom end which i did (thanks Bod) and fit the bits to that one.

Now the mini has another bottom end, 285 fitted, valve springs in the head, turbo fitted, new exhaust as old one didn't fit new turbo, new clutch and a few other little bits.

A front flip has been found and fitted so now it looks more like a mini:D, tomorrow i'll be having another go with the aei so hopefully we will have ignition and here the thing fire up for the first time
Will get pic's tomorrow too.

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................

After we give the aei a go we need to see if the bloody thing will drive around a corner mate, i still reacon we can get the front wheels off the ground under some power too !!!!!!!! :laugh:
I was thinking about what we have planed and if we get our fingers out we should have all afternoon to play.. See you in the morning bud !

Markey Mark (BD)
05-07-2009, 18:33
IT LIVES!!!!

Well after a few hours playing, fitting a few bits and having another look at the wiring Paul (Hydrotec) stumbled across the fault and now the car lives! Thank god he was there as i was pulling my hair out with it but after going through it togther he managed to find it (got a more cooler head than me).

Got a few more things to sort out on it but hopefully next weekend will be its first drive, lets see how it feels:D

hydrotec78
05-07-2009, 20:23
IT LIVES!!!!

Well after a few hours playing, fitting a few bits and having another look at the wiring Paul (Hydrotec) stumbled across the fault and now the car lives! Thank god he was there as i was pulling my hair out with it but after going through it togther he managed to find it (got a more cooler head than me).

Got a few more things to sort out on it but hopefully next weekend will be its first drive, lets see how it feels:D

.................................................. .................................................. .....................................

Believe me when i say the pics do not do this thing justice !

Mark and myself ( and Richy ? ) have put blood sweet and broken knuckles (oh and a near divorce for me ) in to this, but so far untill to day it seemed like i was wasiting my time........But now the light is on and all systems are go.

Mark has come up trumps again building another great C1J and with a new set of wires and switchs from me (to be made this week) boy is this thing goner rock !

There is one big thing this project will produce at the end and that is one ear to ear large SMILE on your face.

Only thing is Mark is how are we goner top this Mad Beast????

Kenobi
05-07-2009, 20:48
Fiat Bis conversion?

hydrotec78
05-07-2009, 21:03
Fiat Bis conversion?

Twin engine Extra van !?!?!?!?!?!? has that been done before ?

Kenobi
05-07-2009, 21:04
Twin engine Extra van !?!?!?!?!?!? has that been done before ?

LOL nutters. :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
05-07-2009, 21:27
Once this is finished its back onto my 5 for me, didn't expect the mini to take this long so been a month or so since i've touched my 5.

hydrotec78
05-07-2009, 21:55
Once this is finished its back onto my 5 for me, didn't expect the mini to take this long so been a month or so since i've touched my 5.

oh what about mine ?????? :laugh: :wasntme: :laugh: :wasntme: :laugh: :wasntme:

Markey Mark (BD)
05-07-2009, 21:57
oh what about mine ?????? :laugh: :wasntme: :laugh: :wasntme: :laugh: :wasntme:

Yeah and that one too:D

dickiegtt
06-07-2009, 21:53
You're a very busy man Markey! Awesome mini project chaps!:D

bigbadboytank
06-07-2009, 22:04

:wasntme: coffin on wheels !!!!!!

hydrotec78
07-07-2009, 10:30

:wasntme: coffin on wheels !!!!!!

Thats ok im worth more Dead ! :devil:

Markey Mark (BD)
12-07-2009, 19:10
This weekends progress, it drove for the first time!!!!:D

Spent most of the day sorting the odd few jobs like fiting actuator, rad hose's, throttle cable, switch panel and a few other bits. Got it idling nice so they thought lets see if she moves:)

It moved but we found a few probs, first is whoever fitted the gearstick didn't line it up right so couldn't get reverse, also clutch feels wierd so that will need attention too, expected that one considering we attached 2 cables together to get it to work.

Main thing is it moved under its own power so almost there now, just a few more bits to fit and adjustments then its off to the rollers, hopefully in about 2 weeks time.

Here's a few pic's of how it looks now, think either Paul or Rich have a video of it moving too somewhere.

TNT!hammond
12-07-2009, 19:56
slight worry mark...... i can see the floor through the pan ? power and speed holes , possibly not the best idea? lmao .

looking good mate you know im only pulling ya leg, should be a giggle that :laugh::laugh::wasntme::laugh:

hydrotec78
12-07-2009, 20:26
This weekends progress, it drove for the first time!!!!:D

Spent most of the day sorting the odd few jobs like fiting actuator, rad hose's, throttle cable, switch panel and a few other bits. Got it idling nice so they thought lets see if she moves:)

It moved but we found a few probs, first is whoever fitted the gearstick didn't line it up right so couldn't get reverse, also clutch feels wierd so that will need attention too, expected that one considering we attached 2 cables together to get it to work.

Main thing is it moved under its own power so almost there now, just a few more bits to fit and adjustments then its off to the rollers, hopefully in about 2 weeks time.

Here's a few pic's of how it looks now, think either Paul or Rich have a video of it moving too somewhere.

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................

I will change the format of the vid when i get 10 mins and put it on youtube for all to see the mircle !

I have to say its nice to see all are hard work pay off, she dose look good and its sounds mad !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Although the wirring is the best bit about the car thing !!! , i would say that about my welding to but it hasn't been tested yet !!!!
:wasntme: :wasntme: :wasntme: :wasntme:

Markey Mark (BD)
12-07-2009, 21:12
slight worry mark...... i can see the floor through the pan ? power and speed holes , possibly not the best idea? lmao .

looking good mate you know im only pulling ya leg, should be a giggle that :laugh::laugh::wasntme::laugh:

:laugh: I did notice those too!;)

Now we got it running we can spend abit of time finishing the little bits off and give it its coat of paint, looks abit patchy at the minute.

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 14:47
Bit of an undate this weekend, it had its frist run at Pod this weekend and it threw up and nice little suprise.

Ever since we bought it the front end has always worried me about being so light, we tried to weight it down as much as we could with all the bits fitted to it but found out up the strip that it wasn't enough.
While accelerating hard off the line the car took off like a rocket, at 15psi it pulled as hard as my old 5 at 22psi. Getting high it the rev's the front end went light and the car started drifting, backed off straighteneded it out then tried again, same thing again did it 3 times on the way up. Seems the acceleration when boost kicks in is lifting the front just enough to loose traction on the front wheels.

Going to have alook at weigting the front down now and tweek a few other things then go back for another go, got to say if it did hold straight it really did feel like the car could of been into the 12's on its first outing but saying it is one thing i'd much rather get out there and prove it:D

Os8472
02-08-2009, 14:50
Awesome work dude, chuck a chunk of concrete up front, that should do it :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 14:52
Awesome work dude, chuck a chunk of concrete up front, that should do it :agree:

I'm thinking of some gym weights on a bar, easy to add or remove to see if it works

Os8472
02-08-2009, 14:54
I'm thinking of some gym weights on a bar, easy to add or remove to see if it works

Good idea, you could chop a bar down and weld it in sitting up right then you can drop the weights down in a position that even under hard cornering the weight won't move around

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 14:57
Prob try it like that to see how much weight is needed in the front then once sorted fit a perminent weight weighting the same.

Os8472
02-08-2009, 14:58
Prob try it like that to see how much weight is needed in the front then once sorted fit a perminent weight weighting the same.

Cool beans, will this mad beast be gracing mallory park at national day?

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 14:59
I'll prob bring it along for people to see but it won't be going round the track, even with the weights i the front its not really a track car just pure sprint.

Os8472
02-08-2009, 15:01
I'll prob bring it along for people to see but it won't be going round the track, even with the weights i the front its not really a track car just pure sprint.

You'll give a blast at some point, you know you can't resist it;)

Rob@Backyardracing
02-08-2009, 17:05
Well done chaps, regarding the weight over the front id leave that out seems a backwards idea to me, your going to end up back to GT weight.... I thing you should get some pizza cutters on there (wheelie bars)..;) Thats if its just a drag car of course...

When i was down at HKS last month i seen a nice wheelie by a chap in the Street class, was awsome to see...:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej5Y4bRmtXg&feature=related

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 18:15
Well done chaps, regarding the weight over the front id leave that out seems a backwards idea to me, your going to end up back to GT weight.... I thing you should get some pizza cutters on there (wheelie bars)..;) Thats if its just a drag car of course...

When i was down at HKS last month i seen a nice wheelie by a chap in the Street class, was awsome to see...:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej5Y4bRmtXg&feature=related

Thats some wheelie from that MR2 there:eek:

I see where your coming from mate and may try it, thing is the front feels very light all the time so i'm think abit of extra weight will give me some control back of the steering so i can at least correct the torque steer abit more.
Being rear engined too i don't want to stop the squat too much as this in theory does help with traction pushing the power onto the rear wheels.

Think its going to be abit of trial and error now to put the power down, i'll be popping back to pod soon poss on the sit night racing to give it another go.

Andrew Cooke
02-08-2009, 18:23
are there any clips of you launching? I find it hard to believe that you can lift the front once you're under way.

You could look at lowering the CofG, can you get the seat any lower?

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 18:28
are there any clips of you launching? I find it hard to believe that you can lift the front once you're under way.

You could look at lowering the CofG, can you get the seat any lower?

No clips of it mate sorry.

Its not so much lifting the car just you can feel it go very light on the front and what it feels like it the car is deciding where it wants to go when accelerating, when i backed off and corrected it it was all ok untill i put the power back down.

Seat is as low as it can go, maybe an idea could be to lower the car down abit more.

I will say i was using my MT 20" wheels so wonder if this was adding to the problem.

Andrew Cooke
02-08-2009, 18:35
I think your problem may be at the back, maybe bump steer, or toe? If you get one wheel spinning the car will start to yaw. Just a guess, I wasn't there, and wasn't driving obviously. Imagine torque steer, but without the possibility to correct it.

Might be worth having a word with Scoff about his rear engined 5.

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 18:38
I think your problem may be at the back, maybe bump steer, or toe? If you get one wheel spinning the car will start to yaw. Just a guess, I wasn't there, and wasn't driving obviously. Imagine torque steer, but without the possibility to correct it.

Might be worth having a word with Scoff about his rear engined 5.

I think you may have an idea there mate, got to say it did feel alot like torque steer and only real way to correct it was to back off.

I was having alittle chat with Haz about it on the weekend and did mention a few issues Scoff had with the rear engine one so will give him a message.

Andrew Cooke
02-08-2009, 18:39
what was your 60ft?

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 18:42
what was your 60ft?

To be honest i have no idea, it was such a crap run i didn't bother getting the ticket at the time but now wish i did.

Andrew Cooke
02-08-2009, 18:49
some rough numbers... a 1.8sec start will be pulling abut 1g, given a 80" wheelbase, and 20" CofG (it's probably lower than that) 25% of the total vehicle mass will be transferred in a start, so if the car with you in it weighed 600Kg, and the front end weighed more than 150Kg (including you) the front won't come up (well maybe a snatch). You can tweek those numbers to be more sensible for your situation.

Rob@Backyardracing
02-08-2009, 18:50
Woooooooooo you sure you can run the MTs on the rear???? that may be the issue? dont think you can run these on the rear, you need a drag trye designed for the rear not front MT20 is made for fwd drags (correct if im wrong)... As cook says this may be making the rear so unstable on power and makes you feel the steering is wrong.. Mite be worthing running a decent road tyre till you make some traps and good control....

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 18:56
I'd say it felt like any normal lauch for me Andy which is normally around the 1.8 - 2.0 60ft, did feel like it hooked up so should of been around that.

I was intending to use some Yoko A032 tyres Rob which i've had for a while but i found one had a buckled wheel the day before so couldn't really use them. I'll give those ago next time, i do rememeber someone mentioning about FWD and RWD drad tyre's before now you mention it, be honest never gave it a thought.

Rob@Backyardracing
02-08-2009, 19:01
It was me on a PM many moons ago.... im sure scoff tho can shed some light as he had trouble over 60mph with MTs on the rear...

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2009, 19:03
It was me on a PM many moons ago.... im sure scoff tho can shed some light as he had trouble over 60mph with MTs on the rear...

Yes it was mate, shows my memory:D

I got to say this sounds like a familiar fault that scoff has run into, one thing i do remember is the trap of my run as i couldn't really power passed 70mph, trap was 69mph when i finally crossed the line.

hydrotec78
02-08-2009, 19:55
Good idea, you could chop a bar down and weld it in sitting up right then you can drop the weights down in a position that even under hard cornering the weight won't move around

Mark if your going down the route you better let me weld it in !!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

or better still we could weld a seat to the front and get some mad fat man to sit in it, Mad Max Style !!!!!!:devil::devil::devil::devil: