PDA

View Full Version : Shuddering/hesertating

rhys0_0
10-05-2009, 17:13
Good afternoon.

My 5 is shuddering or hesertating when i touch the accelerator. Once it's done that for fraction of a second it's great. Its only when im ever so slightly accelerating.:scratch:

Any ideas coz its doing my head in. Makes the misses feel sick.lol

Thanks

R5GTTRaider
10-05-2009, 17:31
could be carb freeze, do you find it happens more often when its cold/just started of all the time,

since properly flowing my i/c i get it sometimes just give it a few taps then put it down, i also get it just as the boost kicks in, im putting it down to carb freeze as it dosnt have fuling probs as its drives fine with the throttle at any position

rhys0_0
10-05-2009, 17:37
No it does it all the time. once my foot is down it goes away and the car flys. It's got a Group A carb and uprated turbo but i have no idea what turbo :scratch: Im not sure how my fueling is either. Im going to book it in to get the AFR checked out.

R5GTTRaider
10-05-2009, 17:42
check the little brass tube isnt blocked with any thing and the acclerater diaphrame isnt gunked up and moving freely as this squrts a little fuel down the ventri to stop this hesitation, becasue the throttle can open quicker then the fuel comes out the jets so the engine momtrly dies till it is sucked though,
is it a proper group a carb or just a normal one with bigger jets, there is a big diffrence.

other than that im not sure, still could be carb freeze

Blick
10-05-2009, 17:43
i had that sort of problem the other wk after i serviced my carb!!! in the end the idle jet must have had a little bit of dirt in it. cleaned it up and she ran sound!!! but spose it could be a number of things....

R5GTTRaider
10-05-2009, 17:47
not saying your wrong but wouldnt a blocked idle jet stop it ticking over?

Blick
10-05-2009, 17:54
not saying your wrong but wouldnt a blocked idle jet stop it ticking over?

well... mine was shuddering and hesertating on the revs, took the idle jet out and give it a good clean then ran fine. go figure!!! just my findings the other wk.

RICHIE
10-05-2009, 18:08
could be carb freeze, do you find it happens more often when its cold/just started of all the time,

since properly flowing my i/c i get it sometimes just give it a few taps then put it down, i also get it just as the boost kicks in, im putting it down to carb freeze as it dosnt have fuling probs as its drives fine with the throttle at any position

carb freeze in this weather i very much doubt it. the problem sounds carb related but im pressuming your going to check the basics first like plugs leads dizzy ect

bye_all_c_ya
10-05-2009, 18:40
ive always had this problem before now ive completely rebuild car and still have this problem myself was hoping its because its not been setup yet ?
may look at carb again

Markey Mark (BD)
10-05-2009, 19:06
Sounds like a possible problem with the accelerator pump jet in the carb, when you look down the carb you see a brass tube facing towards the venturi, give the accelertor a pump and you should see a nice stream of fuel come out if not sounds like it could be blocked up or could be the diaphram is siezed.

rhys0_0
10-05-2009, 19:17
Thanks for the replys lads. Ill have to take a close look at it tomorrow. Just find it strange that it's just as i push the gas and then she is away.:scratch:

Am I right in saying if it was the plugs or dizzy would it be through the entire rev range? Same goes for the pump jet in carb? Im new to all this though lol.

Markey Mark (BD)
10-05-2009, 19:26
Thanks for the replys lads. Ill have to take a close look at it tomorrow. Just find it strange that it's just as i push the gas and then she is away.:scratch:

Am I right in saying if it was the plugs or dizzy would it be through the entire rev range? Same goes for the pump jet in carb? Im new to all this though lol.

The acc pump jet only works when you first innitially press the accelerator, its not continuosly jetting fuel into the carb all the time.

That ok mate we all had to start somewhere:D;)

rhys0_0
10-05-2009, 19:30
The acc pump jet only works when you first innitially press the accelerator, its not continuosly jetting fuel into the carb all the time.

Ah right. So that could be it. Hopefully anyway.

Thanks.

UNICRONICUS
10-05-2009, 19:50
If it's on part acceleration I would have said your air corrector needs to be changed to a different size, smaller or larger... I don't know, have a play. I say this because I had the same problem with my old GTT, once I put a smaller air corrector in the problem went away! But horses for courses, you know...

Junglist
10-05-2009, 20:49
check your plugs, leads and dizzy !

R5GTTRaider
10-05-2009, 22:05
mine does it and had a service. its a minor thing that dosnt cause me any problems but its only a very light hesitation and tbh ive had other carbed cars that have done the same.

rhys0_0
10-05-2009, 22:52
If it's on part acceleration I would have said your air corrector needs to be changed to a different size, smaller or larger... I don't know, have a play. I say this because I had the same problem with my old GTT, once I put a smaller air corrector in the problem went away! But horses for courses, you know...

Whats this air corrector all about then? How would i know if its smaller or bigger one needed?

dave j gtt
10-05-2009, 23:14

:agree:

UNICRONICUS
11-05-2009, 11:07
Whats this air corrector all about then? How would i know if its smaller or bigger one needed?

Trial and error basically. Obviously try other people's solutions first and if these don't work strip the carb and try different sizes of air corrector (number 11 here (http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Solex%2032%20Dis%20Carb%20Information/Service%20Kit%20split%20diagram.jpg)) until the problems goes away or feels a lot better. I take it the problem occurs on part throttle as the turbo is spooling up, then once you put your foot flat it cures it?

R5GTTRaider
11-05-2009, 11:32
I take it the problem occurs on part throttle as the turbo is spooling up, then once you put your foot flat it cures it?

if its any think like mine

if your sat at a juction and you go to pull away, i have to double tap the throttle or the dip in revs would cause it to bog
and then if driving normaly and ya put the pedal down you get that slight hesitation again, very slight mind, but if you bring the throttle in slowly you get no hesitation, after the hesitation theres no fueling problems and at any other time driving it casues no problems, tho if cold i has slighly spluttered and got a little back fire, tho im talking a cough not a almighty bang

rhys
11-05-2009, 12:09
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

i had the same problem last week, but i knew it was down to an airleak as my afr's were slightly lean, turned out that the big connector on the back of the inlet manifold which connects to the servo vacuum pipe had come lose.