PDA

View Full Version : rad fan trouble

TNT!hammond
08-05-2009, 23:09
Hi all,

Basically my fan isnt coming on once up to temp, it will work if the rad switch is missed out ( bridged) but this caused the cables to heat up like a mo fo and near on melt lol, so now i have a few questions.

1. what amp should the rad relay be?

2. would having the wrong (read too high) amp relay cause the wires to heat up. I also understand the wires could also be too small but im sure they are of similar if not greater than oe size?

3. The fan switch is only months old why would it fail , i did an ohms test on another switch in a kettle and it worked so i will do this to the one that failed to see if it is that or i have another problem ?

with thanks as always

Hammond

Nick k
09-05-2009, 00:21
It sounds like your rad fan motor is being powered directly from the rad switch wiring and not through the relay if the wires are getting hot. Some people will tell you too just run the fan straight off the fan switch but i dissagree hence the relay to handle the current. The fan motor supply is taken directly from the back of the alternator through a 30A relay. The fan switch wiring to control the relay is again taking from the alternator through the fan switch and to the coil of the relay. Thats it really. If your fan switch has died then its more than likely powering the fan directly which kills the switches due to the current load. ;)

TNT!hammond
09-05-2009, 07:24
The fan switch is deffo wired to a relay as i put it there myself , mmaybe i have the wires on the wrong terminals ? which isnt powering the coil and just skipping it out? ill have a look :)

ta nick

tom t
09-05-2009, 09:54
im having problems with my fan switch in the rad at the moment to.

baiscally sometimes it works. and other times it doesnt. i think its a loose connection on the switch. as the casing on the switch itself is cracked and i dont think its holding the plug in there properly.

do you think that sounds a possible cause?
maybe youre switch could be cracked on the plastic to
cheers

TNT!hammond
09-05-2009, 13:40
my connections are made with insulated spades instead of the std plug , i have had trouble with one of the plugs before so now i directly connect on with spades :)