PDA

View Full Version : engine fail

turbodave
03-05-2009, 23:37
on my way home tonight my engine died.
i lost all power so i dipped the clutch to see if the revs would idle but they died off so i brought the clutch up to bump start it but it did nothing and the engine just died.
i had petrol to the carb, i had spark so i dont see whats up
when the aa came out to me we went to crank it over and the starter motor was grinding so we stopped and just loaded it onto the flatbed.
thats all the info so ill let the geniuses find out what it could be
thanks in adv.
dave.

R5GTTRaider
04-05-2009, 00:19
grinding as gear crunching or poping like not enoth power?

first thing to do is check compression mate;)

JRP
04-05-2009, 01:04
grinding as gear crunching or poping like not enoth power?

first thing to do is check compression mate;)

Why check compression straight away? BIG FAT FECKING HAIRY FAIL.

could you just not get it to start, or would it start and not idle?

If it wouldnt idle the mixture screw may have popped out.

If it wont turn over your alarm/imobiliser may be playing silly buggers.

Could be loose connection somwhere causing the prob, a tad more info would be great.

LOSS OF POWER...... OH COMPRESSION TEST... YOU SMOKING CRACK?

RICHIE
04-05-2009, 09:32
if your saying the starter motor sounded like its grinding did you look at the teeth on the fly wheel see if contact has been made. the fact you say that you still have spark shows maybe the flywheel is still ok. i think a inspection and report back is in order.

turbodave
04-05-2009, 10:59
i just wont start at all just kept turning over
i dont have an alarm or imobiliser

loose connection to what?
thanks

JRP
04-05-2009, 11:05
so its turns over, if you rev it does it work, then when your foots off the gas it dies?

turbodave
04-05-2009, 11:09
no it doesn't do anything. i mean the starter motor just turns the engine over but it doesn't start up.
but i can't even do this now as the starter is knackered

Maka
04-05-2009, 11:20
all your spark leads connected?
they arent arcing on an alloy induction pipe are they?

i had a similar problem! :p

did you pull the fuel pipe off the carb and turn it over? is it flowing petrol?
if not maybe the aei unit has lost power and the fuel pump isnt kicking in or something. yup had a similar problem there as well.

5alldaway
04-05-2009, 12:08
see if u can borrow someones fuel pump relay and try that, it dont take long to see if it is, but if that aint the problem u could rule that out

its located in the fuse box area, black plug with 8 pins i think, usually labelled cartier

turbodave
04-05-2009, 12:14
i cant check anything though, when i turn the key the starter motor grinds on the flywheel so i don't really want to do that.
flywheel shows signs of wear but not massive

Shakes
04-05-2009, 13:41
im havinmg this very same problem atm, matt (jesus in the seat of a 5) and kris had a look, they say its possibly the tdc lead i hadnt had chance to try it yet as its bank holiday weekend and all shops are shut, also there are 3 wires going into the coil check that one of them hasnt come lose as origenaly that was the start of my problems

turbodave
04-05-2009, 14:11
ive got petrol coming through.
how do i check tdc and aei unit?
thanks

Dan O'Neill
04-05-2009, 14:15
Could it be the overboost wires shorting out, mine cut out pretty much the same way and thats what was wrong with mine. hope this helps.:confused:

turbodave
04-05-2009, 14:20
so ive got to check tdc sensor and wiring, aei unit, overboost sensor wiring.
i guess wiring i jus checking for and shorts or brakes?
what do i check for with the tdc sensor and aei?

Shakes
04-05-2009, 14:28
i am not mechanicly minded at all but from what they said was basicly just buy a new tdc and replace it or perhaps try one from someone elses car,
its a very thrustrating problem for me as i dont know any one localy with a 5, and paying to eleminate what it could be, will cost a small fortune im thinking i will just take it to a garage and get mine sorted.
but like i said the first time it happend it was just a lose wire on the coil, so may be worth u checking, on the side where the 3 block conecters go in there are also 3 seperate wires, one was lose i reconnected it and my car ran fine for a few days.
sorry i cant be of more help i hope you get it sorted ;)

turbodave
04-05-2009, 14:35
nah thats great mate thanks
i just cant test anything as of the stupid starter motor
this is the straw that brakes the camels back though
when its fixed the 5 is going.

Shakes
04-05-2009, 14:54
sorry to post on your thread i dont know how to start my own, basically im moving my ht leads on the spark plugs and the car seems like it wants to fire up now, does anyone know the correct order for leads or are they diffrent on other 5's?????

RICHIE
04-05-2009, 14:56
tdc takes its pickup off the flywheel pattern so make sure the flywheel isnt damaged. make sure you have power to the aei unit at the three wire plug that plugs into the aei unit. you need to check the yellow wire and black one for 12v. if your getting spark at the king lead are you getting it on all leads if not check rotor arm dizzy cap ect. if you are take the fuel pipe off the carb top give it a quick crank into a bottle and see if fuel is coming through. if not check fuel pump relay.

have you flooded it now

turbodave
04-05-2009, 14:58
im getting spark at king lead. im getting fuel so ill check everything else and get back to you

RICHIE
04-05-2009, 14:59
sorry to post on your thread i dont know how to start my own, basically im moving my ht leads on the spark plugs and the car seems like it wants to fire up now, does anyone know the correct order for leads or are they diffrent on other 5's?????

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=365&pictureid=4034

theres a pic off the order mate. unless your 180 degres out you will need to swap them as opposites. ie left with the right and top with the bottom one on the cap.

RICHIE
04-05-2009, 14:59
im getting spark at king lead. im getting fuel so ill check everything else and get back to you

check individual leads then mate.

Shakes
04-05-2009, 15:13
ok thank you very much richie i have set them up now but its turning over and poping from the exhast any ideas?

Markey Mark (BD)
04-05-2009, 15:25
Sounds like the leads are wrong if its popping out of the exhaust, if someone has put the dizzy drive in wrong in the past it means the leads would have been put on in a different oder to standard.

If its popping and banging sounds like you have fuel and spark igniting the mixture again.

Kris M
04-05-2009, 15:33
Yeah as Markey has said. If youve put the leads on in the order of the haynes manual but the dizzy drive is 180 degrees out then the leads will be wrong. If it is 180 degrees out the car will still run once you have put the leads in the correct order

:)

Shakes
04-05-2009, 15:34
yeah thanks markey mark, im at a loss with it now so i packed up, unstablecable has kindly offered to look at it for me tommorow so i wont keep playin with it ill probley make matters worse. thanx for the help everyone :)

Shakes
04-05-2009, 15:39
well i put the leads on the way the haynes manuel says and it turns over then sorta just makes a sound like its dieing out,
so i changed to 180 degrees and it makes a poping sound from the exhuast so dont know which way is correct however doesnt start either way :cry::cry:

newbstar*
04-05-2009, 17:27
Has it got an ajustable cam sproket may have slipped. Get a timing light on it.

turbodave
04-05-2009, 18:02
ok i now have no spark. the starter motor is shagged so the flywheel is not turning, should i still have a spark or not?
flywheel isn't damaged.

RICHIE
04-05-2009, 18:07
[quote=turbodave;65364]ok i now have no spark. the starter motor is shagged so the flywheel is not turning, should i still have a spark or not?
flywheel isn't damaged.[/quote

you wont have spark if the flywheel isnt turning i just hope my post arnt invisible;)

turbodave
04-05-2009, 18:51
Ohh ok so I might have a spark fingerrs crossed
So there's not much I can do untill I get the starter motor fixed

turbodave
05-05-2009, 22:17
ook well good news is the engine has appeared to have fixed itself as i bumpstarted it earlier and it fired straight up so all i need now is a new starter :)
i love my 5

Shakes
05-05-2009, 22:23
hurrayy well done m8 :)

turbodave
05-05-2009, 22:38
:confused:thats the thing i didnt do anything.
tip: dont try and fix your 5 just let it heal