PDA

View Full Version : Clio 172 starting problem

jantheeven
03-05-2009, 10:07
I hope some of you know anything about my other car, a 2002 Clio 1.5 DCI (yes... diesel... :sad2:). It's my day to day car in which I drive many miles... and I don't want to do that to my poor ol' 5 ;)
Anyway. Here's the problem. I've had this issue since I bought it a year ago:
When I turn the key to start the car, in about 70% of the cases, it won't start the first time. Starter motor runs fine, but there's no ignition. Strangely enough... it ALWAYS starts on the second attempt, a few seconds after the first. And like I said, in about 30% of the cases, it does start on the first attempt. What could this be??

James5
03-05-2009, 10:40
Isn't it a case with diesels that you have to wait for the glow plugs to warm up enough before starting? Don't really no much about diesels never had one sorry for not being much help

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
03-05-2009, 11:15
K9K suffers from gumming up of the piston rings and looses compression.....get the car hot. Stick some engine flush in it and give it an Italian tune (thrash the living daylights out of it) for 20 mins. or so...then change the oil and filter.
There was a Renault TN for this......first signs of this problem are rough idle.

jantheeven
03-05-2009, 12:11
K9K suffers from gumming up of the piston rings and looses compression.....get the car hot. Stick some engine flush in it and give it an Italian tune (thrash the living daylights out of it) for 20 mins. or so...then change the oil and filter.
There was a Renault TN for this......first signs of this problem are rough idle.

Okay thanks so far...
What kind of engine flush do I need?
What's a TN?
Car idles fine... only very minor fluctuations when cold... nice and steady when warm

jantheeven
03-05-2009, 12:12
Isn't it a case with diesels that you have to wait for the glow plugs to warm up enough before starting? Don't really no much about diesels never had one sorry for not being much help

No problem... at least you're trying to help :agree:
But I always wait for the glow plugs to warm up... so that's not the problem :(

jantheeven
03-05-2009, 12:17
One more thing... when it doesn't start on the first try... I can just keep the starter running till I'm 70... there's just no ignition... you would think that when it's a compression problem, it will start eventually, but it only starts when I turn back the key and try again...

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
03-05-2009, 14:23
Okay thanks so far...
What kind of engine flush do I need?
What's a TN?
Car idles fine... only very minor fluctuations when cold... nice and steady when warm

Sorry....a TN is a Technical note......
Renault sell the engine flush.....may take me some time to find the TN and part no. for the flush as its bank holiday weekend over here........
If the car idles fine and fuel consumption is good, the car is serviced correctly with the right oil ect.....it could be something else......it is possible to compression check a K9K without taking the glow plugs out, using a thing called a physical measurement box (it calculates compression via battery loadings using an amps clamp)
'Clip' test will bring up any codes, and poss. burnt out glow plugs......

jantheeven
08-05-2009, 16:21
Okay thanks...
And what about the immobilizer? Could that have some kind of error in it?

jantheeven
09-05-2009, 10:11
no?

Andrew Cooke
09-05-2009, 10:22
it's possible that you have a problem with the glow plugs, I only know about my Mitsubishi, it has 4, and any number can fail, or the power rail come loose etc. For the time it takes I would remove the bus bar and measure the resistance of the heaters. (unless that's a real arse on a clio)