PDA

View Full Version : A few questions and problems that need sorting...

IANMM
30-04-2009, 16:57
ok tried to turn the car over today after the full strip out and re-build ign light came on but would not turn over at all..... now i think it might be the alarm/immobilizer so im going to cut it out as how it was fitted before is a bit of a shame so my questions are as follows just to put my mind at rest.....

1, Main feed from battery to starter motor is this connected to the terminal on starter motor that shares the live feed that goes back to altinator?

2, where is the main (-) connection from the battery to the car as mine is just a short lead thats connected to the fixings on the rear bulkhead that holds the battery tray in

3, when you turn the ign on (not fully just so the dash light comes on)does the fuel pump operate? (as mine didnt)

4, either tach out or V+ in this picture http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Scoff/aei.jpg was split and connect to the alarm/imobilszer (but it wasnt connected at the time to alarm/imobilser when i was trying to start it) why would this be ? and whats the relay that sits just by the AEI as is feed back to that?

5, the cable that is part of the loom by the AEI i stripped back some of the tape and it shows a purple wire that is joined to some white cable that goes into the engine bay now i got no idea where this cable was suppose to go as i had two ends in the engine bay so iu thought they just joined together...???

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/IANMM69/Photo0257.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/IANMM69/Photo0258.jpg

any other help that might explain the starter not even wanting to turn over would be greatly appreciated

Ian

bye_all_c_ya
30-04-2009, 19:12
have you connected the small thin cable with the spade on it to the the starter?

Kris M
30-04-2009, 19:44
1. YES :)

2. The negative on the battery just goes to earth, so thats ok, there is an earth point on both sides of the scuttle depending on which side your batt is on ;)

3. Not in standard form NO, the fuel pump is powered by a relay and will only start pumping when the engine is turned over

4. The Relay by the AEI, is the AEI relay :D:D

IANMM
01-05-2009, 10:11
have you connected the small thin cable with the spade on it to the the starter?

yeah i have mate

IANMM
01-05-2009, 10:14
1, so would you say cut the alarm / immobilizer out then take it from there....?

2, why would they cut into the AEI relay and pass it through the alarm? would this be part of the immobilizer?

3, Any other tips to check why the car isn't turning over?

ian

IANMM
01-05-2009, 10:46
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/IANMM69/Photo0257.jpg

where does these white wire goes and should it be joined to the purple one as per the picture?

tiff_lee
01-05-2009, 12:54
With regards to your starter not turning have you a test lead of any kind or a simple bulb will do.

Connect up to the white wire with a spade connector with a test lead/bulb and turn ignition switch to start position and it should light up.

Obviously if it does you have a problem with your starter, if not then perhaps an issue with the alarm fitted.

The wiring in my 5 was a complete mess after someone had bodged in an alarm, dead end wires everywhere with sections of the original loom cut!

bye_all_c_ya
01-05-2009, 15:11
if you want to pop over to look at mine if you have forgot anythink you are more then welcome;)

IANMM
05-05-2009, 17:20
With regards to your starter not turning have you a test lead of any kind or a simple bulb will do.

Connect up to the white wire with a spade connector with a test lead/bulb and turn ignition switch to start position and it should light up.

Obviously if it does you have a problem with your starter, if not then perhaps an issue with the alarm fitted.

The wiring in my 5 was a complete mess after someone had bodged in an alarm, dead end wires everywhere with sections of the original loom cut!

got it sorted tested it out all the wiring was fine......quick tap with a hammer all sorted :)