PDA

View Full Version : long awaited update

haizyr5gtt
30-04-2009, 01:45
well as a few of you may know i bought a bodged up raider. wel 6 months and £5000 later i had a mint raider on 154bhp awaiting a t25. put it in for mot and it failed. but another £166 sorted that out and i now have a good reliable car but still awaiting t25, but not for long hopefully.

got £4000 offer for it but i dont want to let it go just yet.

and a question to finish off. i have been out in the car all day. not being silly with it but giving it a bit of the right foot evry now and then as you do. on my way home just now my oil light came on so i stopped and started again it was still on but dimmer so i checked the dip stick and that read fine (will do it again in the morning as engine was warm) so i carried on with my journy at a steady pace of 50mph not even using the turbo at all just incase but the light was still on. dim but on, however if i took it out of gear and rolled or left it to idle the light was completly off.

any suggestions on whats happening?

R5GTTRaider
30-04-2009, 02:56
however if i took it out of gear and rolled or left it to idle the light was completly off.

any suggestions on whats happening?

id say low oil. checking oil with a hot engine is pointless, and when on idle theres not much pressure so more oil would naturaly be in the sump

failing that could be the level sensor but unlikly, and lastly

oil pump?

Bigfoot
30-04-2009, 08:16
Light is oil pressure not level, what viscosity oil you got in there? Refurbed the oil pump or replaced it?

djinuk
30-04-2009, 11:06
goin on from whats been said here, I removed my oil pressure sender from my r5 gt, the one at the bottom of the turbo oil feed union and replaced with with an adapter to fit my mechanical oil pressure gauge. Does that mean my oil light will not work on dash should i get low oil pressure or does this run from a seperate sendor at another point on the block?

haizyr5gtt
30-04-2009, 11:09
Light is oil pressure not level, what viscosity oil you got in there? Refurbed the oil pump or replaced it?

yeah replaced the oil pump last week just before the mot. they done an engine flush and oil change and filter in the garage but i dont know what viscosity oil they put in it. i will ring and ask. whats best to use in my raider then? and my oil pressure lead isnt connected anyway.

Bigfoot
30-04-2009, 12:11
yeah replaced the oil pump last week just before the mot. they done an engine flush and oil change and filter in the garage but i dont know what viscosity oil they put in it. i will ring and ask. whats best to use in my raider then? and my oil pressure lead isnt connected anyway.

If oil pressure wire is not connect it could be shorting out somewhere causing the problem, 10w/40 oil will be fine. Was it replaced with a genuine GT Turbo one, refurbished, or unknown, because it has been known for people to put a campus oil pump in there which causes lack of oil pressure.

haizyr5gtt
30-04-2009, 12:48
If oil pressure wire is not connect it could be shorting out somewhere causing the problem, 10w/40 oil will be fine. Was it replaced with a genuine GT Turbo one, refurbished, or unknown, because it has been known for people to put a campus oil pump in there which causes lack of oil pressure.

wel iv been told that the garage put 20/50 fully synth in it but im changing it to 15/40 semi after recomendations.

the oil pump is off richies turbo wich he uses for hill climbing so yes im guesing its a genuine gt turbo one.

and im going to have a play with it now. let you know how i get on.

haizyr5gtt
30-04-2009, 13:42
well its connected and is still doing it. will order a new sensor in a bit. and the gauge isnt regesterin at al so i wil get an aftermarket 1. and also i need a new engine earth lead but tha shouldnt trigger the oil light to come on.

Markey Mark (BD)
30-04-2009, 17:32
[quote=haizyr5gtt;64220

the oil pump is off richies turbo wich he uses for hill climbing [/quote]

Don't think Richie does hill climbing mate, i do remember him telling me he did some work to the oil pump as the old one you had was knackered.

Sounds like an electrical fault if the oil pressure is good (hope it is), maybe the connections are the wrong way round as you have one for pressure guage and one for pressure light

scratcher
30-04-2009, 17:46
Seeing the car I'd say its electrical. Something could've been knocked off when the bay was cleaned.
Check out what Mark said first :agree:

RICHIE
30-04-2009, 19:52
as said to james the car is in need of a engine earth strap as the one on there is doesnt look to clever. the pump is fully refurbed and is geniune i used my spa guage and got 47 psi at 3500 rev which is all good so im led to believe its sesor issue .

having since spoke to james he has said the light has gone off and hasnt come back on.

haizyr5gtt
05-05-2009, 18:26
the spade conector that is on the sensor has snapped so its just loose at the moment probably just shorting on something. i will insulation tape it until i get it re soldered.

RICHIE
05-05-2009, 18:29
the spade conector that is on the sensor has snapped so its just loose at the moment probably just shorting on something. i will insulation tape it until i get it re soldered.

i can sort that for you mate when you pop it down

haizyr5gtt
05-05-2009, 18:31
ok. im working on it now