PDA

View Full Version : are my shocks on upside down?

mightymanx
29-04-2009, 18:52
as per title really bit of a silly question but thought it was best to make sure.
fitted new standard renault shocks to the back off my 5 gtt
i have fitted sevral new rear shoks to diffrent gtts before but they have always been uprated.
avos konis etc.
took the old 1s off as they were leaking but not banging
put the new 1s on and took it down the road now there banging
everything is tite
thats why am asking are they on upsde down as they looked like the could go ither way
i dont have a pic tho as there on the car
the way ive fitted them is theres like a rubber grovy thing on
them ive put that at the top but it dont look right but it wouldnt look right the other way ither lol can some 1 help me please?

i l k e r
29-04-2009, 19:02
the body of the struts (thicker side) bolts to the axle and the the rod(thinner side) bolts to the chassis

mightymanx
29-04-2009, 20:00
the body of the struts (thicker side) bolts to the axle and the the rod(thinner side) bolts to the chassis

thanx ilker so the rubber cover that covers half them would be at the bottom axle side?
is that what u mean

old skool turbo power
29-04-2009, 20:32
thanx ilker so the rubber cover that covers half them would be at the bottom axle side?
is that what u mean

come on mate they dont put stuff up on the site for nothing its pretty ovious :scared::agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4516 see the pics:scratch:

mightymanx
29-04-2009, 21:45
come on mate they dont put stuff up on the site for nothing its pretty ovious :scared::agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4516 see the pics:scratch:

did have a look at that thread old school but the shocks in them pics aint standard 1s
so am all confused ill have to take sme pics tommora and post them up see if ive gone wrong thanx for ur help

Saint AAI
30-04-2009, 07:18
is that what u mean

Nope, other way. Rubber cover will be covering the rod (thinner side), strut body (thicker side) might have a sticker on it and wants to go to the axle. Can't see the difference between standard and uprated visually apart from the colour?

mightymanx
30-04-2009, 11:08
well ive posted some pics up heres the linky
think there right but just wana make sure are these right thanx in advance?

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/manx5turbo/

mightymanx
30-04-2009, 19:43
so are they th right way then?

Saint AAI
01-05-2009, 07:22
They look right way to me, but they look bent from the pics???

Purple_rob
01-05-2009, 08:25
How did you get on with this mate?

As we said they are brand new units so I dont see how they are banging?

Even so would a shock bang is it was worn? only by excessive traval?

Tiny Tim
01-05-2009, 09:40
I think you've got the wrong shocks. I dont ever recall having springs? Not like that anyway...

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4803

mightymanx
01-05-2009, 17:55
i agree tim i dont think there the right shocks although they came from reno the reason 4 this seems to be
in my pics with the shocks on theres a silver metal rim at the top beside the chassis on the original 1s thatcame off they have no rim
even when i was fitting them they didnt seem right as when u bolt the shocks on the the top chassis side the metal rim seems to stop it gettin pulled in tight
enough so i think the rim is bashing against the side thats why am getting my banging.
thats why i orignally asked if they was upside down because of that rim
if i turned them round they would be up side down and the rim at the bottom out of the way.
so grr what to now ? there no use as they are has any 1 got a part number for whats origanlly ment to be the real back shicks and i can check them againt mine?

also what wouls happen if i did turn them round all help grate fully recived

old skool turbo power
01-05-2009, 20:30
i agree tim i dont think there the right shocks although they came from reno the reason 4 this seems to be
in my pics with the shocks on theres a silver metal rim at the top beside the chassis on the original 1s thatcame off they have no rim
even when i was fitting them they didnt seem right as when u bolt the shocks on the the top chassis side the metal rim seems to stop it gettin pulled in tight
enough so i think the rim is bashing against the side thats why am getting my banging.
thats why i orignally asked if they was upside down because of that rim
if i turned them round they would be up side down and the rim at the bottom out of the way.
so grr what to now ? there no use as they are has any 1 got a part number for whats origanlly ment to be the real back shicks and i can check them againt mine?

also what wouls happen if i did turn them round all help grate fully recived

was there not a gsf or euro car parts thats avabiale to you????or not?
your shocks do look diffrent though :scratch:top half should be covered up by plastic i would of thought,last time i changed them they were.