PDA

View Full Version : Fuel + Spark but she won't start

zinc
15-09-2008, 13:57
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys,

Pretty sure this will be a simple fix, but I'm a bit lost. It's turning over but not starting.

I have spark at all the plugs (verified by the use of a timing light) and the plugs themselves are all new.

I have removed the fuel line going to the bottom of the carb and it chucked out fuel when it turned over.

Fueses look ok.

Would be great if someone could point me towards the next step to take!

Thanks! :smokin:

paul b
15-09-2008, 14:05
whats been done recently , or whats been changed....?????????

Tiny Tim
15-09-2008, 14:07
I'd be checking the plugs/leads manually myself, just incase.

Double check the TDC sensor.

Just being picky, but you did check the right fuel pipe right? - undo it, stick it ina bucket and crank it over for a few seconds, you should get a nice flow.

zinc
15-09-2008, 14:08

Not a lot to be honest. It's been sat in the garage.

It wouldn't start before as two of the spark plugs had failed, so i replaced all 4 and she started 1st time and ran fine.

I then removed a fuse from the fuse box under the glove box, but i've replaced that. I hasn't started since :crap:

zinc
15-09-2008, 14:10

I'd be checking the plugs/leads manually myself, just incase.

Double check the TDC sensor.

Just being picky, but you did check the right fuel pipe right? - undo it, stick it ina bucket and crank it over for a few seconds, you should get a nice flow.

Hi Tim

I haven't checked the TDC sensor, so shall check that.

I cranked it over once quickly, just to see fuel come out. I'll go and check that there is a nice flow....

:agree:

zinc
15-09-2008, 14:53

Right there is a constant fuel flow, although when connected, the carb doesn't look wet when i take off the elbow (not that I know what it should look like!)

Have checked all leads and they seem to be ok.

Checked TDC connector - looks ok. It's bolted on properly too, not quite sure what else to check on it?

Didn't remove the spark plugs, i'll have to do that another day as i've got other stuff to do now.

I don't have a multimeter so i'll try to get one from work to follow the ignition system fault finding part in the haynes manual.

I seem to remember reading about a relay that can cause starting issues on the old site, but I *think* that is if the starter wasn't working? :coffee:

Any other suggestions would be great.

RichR
15-09-2008, 16:13
If you have a spark, then the timing sensor and AEI are working, don't worry about them for now. Similarly, the overboost cutout relay isn't cutting power to the AEI.

Do you have a good spark though? - take the plugs out and have a look at them, try holding them against the block to see the spark etc...

Brigsy
15-09-2008, 16:19
Have you wet the plugs cranking it? Has the battery got plenty of power, could be poor spark while cranking if its nearly flat.

Markey Mark (BD)
15-09-2008, 17:11

Right there is a constant fuel flow, although when connected, the carb doesn't look wet when i take off the elbow (not that I know what it should look like!)

I have found a few cars with the diaphram for the accelerator pump jet seized and that makes the car very hard to start, if you opperate the accelerator by hand you should see a squirt from the jet inside the carb. If not check the diaphram, its on the side of the carb on the drivers side.

RussellT
15-09-2008, 18:33
check you have got the right firing order

JonnyGee
15-09-2008, 22:10

whip a plug out and see if its got fuel on it if yes the as russ said firing order if not try checking if the float is stuck in the carb???

zinc
15-09-2008, 23:38

check you have got the right firing order

Was the first thing I checked. Will have another look just to be sure though...

I have found a few cars with the diaphram for the accelerator pump jet seized and that makes the car very hard to start, if you opperate the accelerator by hand you should see a squirt from the jet inside the carb. If not check the diaphram, its on the side of the carb on the drivers side.

I remember it not starting first time when I last picked up the car from your workshop, is this what had happened then?

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try your suggestions on Weds and get back to you :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
16-09-2008, 16:46

Was the first thing I checked. Will have another look just to be sure though...

I remember it not starting first time when I last picked up the car from your workshop, is this what had happened then?

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try your suggestions on Weds and get back to you :agree:

I think it was mate, can't quite remember now but if its been sat around for a while them it can sieze up in there.

zinc
18-09-2008, 14:48

Sorted now chaps.

Battery isn't holding charge :sad2: so that would be why it started the 1st few times (after it'd been charged) and not after that :ashamed: I assumed the timing gun showed there was enough spark there.... obviously not!

phase i 16 v turbo
18-09-2008, 17:25

I have had a R5 GT turbo before which all seemed ok but just wouldn't start on the key. Got a frined to tow me around the feild bumping it, took a while for it to fire up. We let it get up to temp, then switched it of been fine ever since. Worth a try.

D4WNO
16-01-2009, 22:00
Amrit, get her insured (FINALLY) and come show me. It's been in the garage for fricking years, you're beginning to remind me of Rich :laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
16-01-2009, 22:10
I remember working on his 5 and getting it MOT'ed years ago now, tell me its been on the road since.

RICHIE
16-01-2009, 22:11
I remember working on his 5 and getting it MOT'ed years ago now, tell me its been on the road since.

mark is this the car that was there when mine was

Markey Mark (BD)
16-01-2009, 22:16
Black 5 with K-Tec front bumper, yes it was mate. Was a good car went well once i'd finished it.

zinc
16-01-2009, 22:35

No she's not moved in ages :( Lost interest to be honest, she sat in the garage whilst I saved up and bought another car. :ashamed:

Got rid of the K-tech bumper (well its sitting in the garden) and have a new oem bumper and grill ready to fit. Brand spankin new tyres all round too.

Just gotta get another brake caliper as I needed to bleed the brakes but found most of the nipples snapped off, had them drilled out and they put a helicoil in but one of the bleed screws isn't sealing properly now :crap:

I think the last time i drove her was back from yours Mark, when the alt belt flew off....

I dunno, i just can't be arsed with it - my mind will probably change once i drive it again but i'm goin to sell it asap as it's just sitting there wasting away, yea i know, i'm a **** :rolleyes: :cartman:

Markey Mark (BD)
16-01-2009, 23:19
You might change your mind mate when you drive it, is a good car from what i remember. :)

Bet it looks better with the standard bumper on it, the K-Tec bumper was abit too big for the front of it on standard wheels but still didn't look too bad.

zinc
16-01-2009, 23:28
Thanks, yeah it's not a bad car at all, i've got about £200s worth of bits n bobs waiting to be fitted (probably will just sell them though). It's had a new starter (which you re-fitted after my failed attempt if you remember) new rad, new handbrake cables, refurbed the front calipers, new tyres, bumpers etc.

Yeah looks a lot better with standard bumper and grill, just gotta get them sprayed - along with the wings + bonnet so im thinkin of leaving that to the next owner and cut my losses so to speak.

The thing is i look at the car and think i'd love to keep it as a track car but i don't have the space sadly :( Do you still have the red 5 Mark? How's your bro, hurt his eye from what i remember?

Markey Mark (BD)
17-01-2009, 16:08
Do you still have the red 5 Mark? How's your bro, hurt his eye from what i remember?

Yeah still got the red 5 mate i'm slowly working my way through the rebuild but its taking abit of time:) There'a a thread in the project section on it, got to update it sometime.

Yeah my bro's ok now, he has a piece of metal (only 4mm long and waffer thin) go into his eye and land in the retina. He lost abot 70% of his sight in his right eye but he's done well to get through it and get on with things. He's in Australia now with his girlfriend, they left on wednesday to get his residentcy for 4yrs so i'll be having a few holidays over there:D