PDA

View Full Version : Who's good with stocks and shares?

Trevhib
15-09-2008, 12:27
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Guys,

Which member is it who's an ace with the share markets? There was a brilliant thread on the original RTOC.

I thought it was Gordon or Billy G, I can't remember now. Anyone know?

I'm looking for some solid advice.

Cheers,

Trev.

BriC
15-09-2008, 12:29
I believe it was Billy G.. I asked him for some info a while back on the old site, but got no response.

paul b
15-09-2008, 12:29
the gent with the Light Blue Turbo 2 rally spec.....

for the life of me I cannot remember his name, York way....

it may have been Blot....but i could be wrong..

you buying some shares Durex ?????????,
they are always on the UP

BriC
15-09-2008, 12:31
Yeh Blot.. He is good with shares too.. But so is Billy. (I believe)

Trevhib
15-09-2008, 12:51

Yeah that sounds right. He did seem quite open to offering up basic help at the time. Has Billy signed up to this site yet?

I'm ready to get involved with the markets now. I'm a novice and would look to pay to go on a 2-day course to get a grip of the fundamentals. I need to know if it's worth paying for something like that though and if so, if there's any advice on which one to go for.

And then, advice on which website to trade trough, where best to stay abreast of the latest market movements and then I guess what the latest tips are...

Paul, your mind is always in the gutter. I like it! :D

BriC
15-09-2008, 12:58
Yeh Trev, he has :) http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=80

raj
15-09-2008, 12:59
all i can say is DO YOUR HOMEWORK. my dad lost all his savings in shares. over 200k:( where all fcuked now. the family just aint the same no more!
ive wanted to get into share but what happened to my dad has put me right off them all together. hes now not all there in the head.

clee
15-09-2008, 13:21
Could try the Lehman Brothers or that Fannie manny :sad2:

Bodell
15-09-2008, 13:23
Dont put in too much, cos as Raj says you stand to lose it all.

I have a few shares dotted around here and there but nothing to shout about, and if they all go down the pan then i am not too worried.

Trevhib
15-09-2008, 19:32

Raj - bloody hell mate, that's dreadful and not that uncommon unfortunately.

I've been in a position where I invested in a small private venture and it went tits up. I lost the lot. Although it wasn't money I could afford, fortunately it wasn't family life savings :(

I'd like to learn from what happened and take more control over what I'm doing and improve the basis of my decision making.

When I said I was ready to get into the market now, I meant I'm not far off having saved enough spare money to start a small portfolio. I'm not interested in a situation where I gamble funds I can't afford to lose.

Btw, thanks BriC.

So, time to learn what to do and how best to do it...

Billy-G
15-09-2008, 19:49
I believe it was Billy G.. I asked him for some info a while back on the old site, but got no response.

I don't offer individual advice Bric. Three reasons.

One, is that I am neither qualified nor regulated to do so in the eyes of the law.

Two, is that if you advise correctly, no one ever remembers, and if you advise wrongly, no one ever forgets. So I don't.

Three, is that I don't know your personal circumstances. I'd not want anyone gambling the mortgage on a stock. Look at Raj's example. Always view it as money you may never get back. Comfortable with that risk? Even Blue Chips can bit ethe dust.

Blot is also a touch succesfull in the share markets. If he offers advice, I'd listen.

I don't mind highlighting certain areas which you can turn a profit on, and i did on the thread on the old site, but I'd never name individual companies.

Good luck anyone who tries it:)

Penfold aka The Dealer
15-09-2008, 20:18
Could always put some money in premiun bonds... pretty safe investment (goverment backed) and good to invest upto £30k...

I have £7,500 in there... win about £250-500 per year... had £1000 a few years ago...

Ian S
15-09-2008, 20:29
Yeah, pretty much everyone I know has their saving in premium bonds at the moment.

My Bro in Law is an ex city banker / trader and now trains financial salesman, I asked him the other day and he also said premium bonds.

Trevhib
15-09-2008, 20:34
£250-£500 a year from £7500. At that rate, isn't it roughly equivalent to a top % savings account? (and that's a genuine question, not a slight on govt bonds).

BriC
15-09-2008, 21:24
I don't offer individual advice Bric. Three reasons.

One, is that I am neither qualified nor regulated to do so in the eyes of the law.

Two, is that if you advise correctly, no one ever remembers, and if you advise wrongly, no one ever forgets. So I don't.

Three, is that I don't know your personal circumstances. I'd not want anyone gambling the mortgage on a stock. Look at Raj's example. Always view it as money you may never get back. Comfortable with that risk? Even Blue Chips can bit ethe dust.

Blot is also a touch succesfull in the share markets. If he offers advice, I'd listen.

I don't mind highlighting certain areas which you can turn a profit on, and i did on the thread on the old site, but I'd never name individual companies.

Good luck anyone who tries it:)

Fair play. If I remember correctly though - I was only trying to learn a few basics.. I wasn't asking where I should invest my savings.. I do understand what you mean though. :)

Penfold aka The Dealer
16-09-2008, 08:48
£250-£500 a year from £7500. At that rate, isn't it roughly equivalent to a top % savings account? (and that's a genuine question, not a slight on govt bonds).

Its a 3-6% per year... but remember it could gain you could be one of the lucky people and win £1m, the prize breakdown is something like this...

Estimate for prize draw in September 2008

Prize band Prize value Estimated number of prizes Higher value £1 million 2
6% of prize fund £100,000 8 £50,000 18
£25,000 33
£10,000 83
£5,000 167
Medium value
5% of prize fund £1,000 2,061
£500 6,183

Lower value
89% of prize fund £100 189,836
£50 1,456,191
Total estimated value
for September 2008 £103.1 million between 1,654,582 winners

Odds

The number of prizes in each draw is determined by dividing the total number of eligible £1 Bond units by a number specified by the Treasury, as shown below. This specified number determines the odds of each £1 Bond unit winning a prize in the monthly draw.

22,000 to 1

Premiun bonds are a safe/fun way to invest... slighty different to a bank.... you may win £££'s over a long period of time... or win sweet F.A but at least at the end of the day you can walk away with the cash you initially started with...

Billy-G
16-09-2008, 11:38
Fair play. If I remember correctly though - I was only trying to learn a few basics.. I wasn't asking where I should invest my savings.. I do understand what you mean though. :)

You may have been mate. I did get over 30 PM's from people looking for share tips, so genuinely sorry if I scan read your PM and mentally lumped it in with the rest of them.

FWIW, I moved all mine into cash and bonds 4 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure thats the right decision for me until the current situation corrects itself.

When it does, I'll get back in, and I already know where. Right now though, I'm happy to hold.

TommyB
23-09-2008, 11:49

What happened to Blot??

I saw his car for sale on pistonheads.

Andrew Cooke
23-09-2008, 13:08
I received this as an email today...

Thought for the day!!

If you had purchased £1000 of Northern Rock shares one year ago it would now be worth £4.95. With HBOS, earlier this week your £1000 would have been worth £16.50. £1000 invested in XL Leisure would now be worth less than £5. But if you had bought £1000 worth of Lager one year ago, drank it all, then took the empty cans to an aluminium re-cycling plant, you would get £214.

So based on the above statistics the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and re-cycle.

paul b
23-09-2008, 13:44
and you would still be so hammered you wouldnt care about the other £2000 you invested badly....LOL

Trevhib
23-09-2008, 15:20
Andy,

If that were true...

That would mean that the aluminium can is worth 21% of the price of the purcahsed alcohol, or say 21p for every £1 can of lager you buy. Is that right? It's almost worth working out where your local aluminium recycling plant is. And possibly rooting through bins for extra cash; eh Paul :p

I could imagine maybe 5p a can, but 21p? :scared:

RichR
23-09-2008, 15:23
You can buy lager a lot cheaper than £1 a can if you buy cheap stuff in bulk from a cash and carry...

Even so, I don't know what the scrap value of aluminium is, but I'm guessing you're looking at about half a tonne for that price.

It might just be possible. Though here in York, the metal thieves prefer drain covers, bus shelters and railway signalling cable...

Trevhib
23-09-2008, 15:47
Aye Rich. Bad form. :crap:

I wonder how much tonnage a £1000 worth of the cheapest lager would provide in terms of aluminium. If economies of scale said you could get cans at around 50p each, that would yield 2000 cans. Would 2000 aluminium cans weigh near half a tonne? Nope, given that they weigh approx 15g each.

In fact, Wiki says :

The recycle value of 43,371 cans is approximately $731 if loose

Why are so many 'thoughts for the day' complete b/s? Perhaps it meant £21.40

paul b
23-09-2008, 16:22
Andy,

If that were true...

That would mean that the aluminium can is worth 21% of the price of the purcahsed alcohol, or say 21p for every £1 can of lager you buy. Is that right? It's almost worth working out where your local aluminium recycling plant is. And possibly rooting through bins for extra cash; eh Paul :p

I could imagine maybe 5p a can, but 21p? :scared:

If it keeps my baby on track doing her thang, I will gladly root through bin's :laugh::laugh: