PDA

View Full Version : Taking engine out

c5 swh
28-04-2009, 19:04
The 5 is now off the road so new engine can be fitted.

My question is a odd one but is there anyway of getting the engine out without the use of a crane? Ive just looked into hiring them and it will be cheaper to buy one! The new engine wont be going in for a few weeks so will get a crane for when i do that. Just wanted to know if there is anyway other way of getting current engine out?

Pikey question i know just want to save a few pennies to spend on engine bits :ashamed:

Mart
28-04-2009, 19:07
Drop the subframe (and engine, etc) onto a couple of trolley jacks, but you'll need to be able to lift the front of the car high enough to then get the lot out.

r5 rich
28-04-2009, 19:08
the way me and a friend done it in the past was a scaffold pole and a big thick rope as he had a gravel drive so a engine crane was a no no.

The other way we also have done it is by dropping the complete front subframe and then moving the shell back as the rear wheels were still on so lifted the shell front over engine and pushed back! Also doing this method gave my friend a chance to paint the subframe and renew all the wishbones, steering rack etc and make it all look nice and shiney!

c5 swh
28-04-2009, 19:24
I was thinking about removing it the subframe way as like you said it gives you chance to do a few other jobs.

Is there a guide to do this?if not whats involved and is it a big job?

thanks again

c5 swh
05-05-2009, 19:01
When dropping the subframe can you do it with out disconecting all of the brake pipes etc?

Can you just undo suspension remove calipers and tie them to the body then drop frame?

any help much apprecated:cool:

fidos got a raider
06-05-2009, 13:12
Leave gear box in and lift it out. i done it that way with three of us take the head off first though

James5
06-05-2009, 13:26
Leave gear box in and lift it out. i done it that way with three of us take the head off first though

:laugh:And removing any long locating dowels / threads

ROB C2GTT
06-05-2009, 13:36
Must expensive down your way then as its about 15 quid a day here to hire one? not worth struggling for 15 quid? hire it on a sat and ya usually get it for sunday included.

fidos got a raider
06-05-2009, 16:22
:laugh:And removing any long locating dowels / threads

Yes make sure no long bolts are in makes it a lot harder