PDA

View Full Version : Help With Afr Readings

sly-sy
28-04-2009, 12:16
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Basically have just rebuilt my engine with various mods but the only one that really could affect anything is the 9 slotted fly wheel i have fitted,

pistons, liner, head & cam are all standard -

plus as far as i'm aware the carb is standard ( venturi is but unsure of jetting )
there's a receipt from a previous owner for jets and rebuild kit etc but was many years ago & doenst list what sizes they were.. Anyway

Tickover is my grey area:

reading 14.8 >16.2 - manily 15 > to 16 but fluctuates

Tickover is set to 1000 rpm
engine was hunting between 1000 & 1500 rpm, had issues with air leakage at base of carb found crack in plastic spacer so all sorted and engine is just now slightly lumpy +/- 100 rpm
( have put this down to slotted flywheel) plus i blanked off breather to inlet manifold pipe, blanked off the branch of the restrictor tee but kept tee in situ with the big restrictor and run pipe to catch tank with pipercross cam cover type breather fitted to top of catch tank

light throttle usage: AFR goes down and hit 9.8 VERY breifly if i snap open the throttle but not flat out position: sits roughly 10.5 > 11.3 if i ease the revs up to light cruising/load situation

put foot down more & boost now quickly building up to 8psi (manifold)
AFR: leans out to 14.6 as boost reaches 3 psi but then does the following coming up to 8 psi

On boost / full throttle:

goes from 14.6 and now on full boost and quickly changes to a near perfect 12.2 > 12.6, sometimes sitting at 11.6 to 11.8 if i'm on boost with quick gear changes

So my issues seem to be with tickover and light running....
have found thread showing how the set up pump jet cam/lever spring setup with the 5mm drill bit which i have never done so tiz my next task.

Any idea and thoughts much appreciated - am gonna buy a set of standard jets so i know setup is defo back standard and try again from there.
Mainly - what is a good selection of sizes to order up?

R5GTTRaider
28-04-2009, 13:09
i was under the impression 14.7:1 was the optimem ratio? :scratch:

11 is rich and 16 is lean, yor afr is all over the shop id be inclined to look at the a/c jet

edit:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio :agree:

sly-sy
28-04-2009, 13:15

i'm under the impression that 14.7 is good for n/a engines

and turbo engines are 12.5

have a read of the carb article on here with scoffs addition on the end

jure
28-04-2009, 13:51
This is definitely great reading ;)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=460

sly-sy
28-04-2009, 14:02

dont know if my "off boost" would be affected by the a/c?

tiz doing my head in at the mo
on boost is fine, if anything its abit rich...

jantheeven
28-04-2009, 14:17
Mate... your AFRs seem to be behaving pretty normal. You will always see a fluctuating AFR when idling. However, 1000rpm idle is very high. Set it to 7-8k. Then adjust the idle mixture screw so AFR is in the mid 14s. When you start to accelerate, it's normal for the AFR to drop and then go up again to low/mid 14s when you've reached a steady speed. At WOT & full boost, the AFR should be in the low 12s. No, changing the a/c size won't have an effect on the off boost AFR. And screw wikipedia... read the article about the carb, mentioned in a previous post! :agree:

R5GTTRaider
28-04-2009, 14:37
However, 1000rpm idle is very high. Set it to 7-8k.

:scratch::scratch:

you mean 100's not 1000's right

jantheeven
28-04-2009, 14:40
:scratch::scratch:

you mean 100's not 1000's right

My bad... yes 700/800 :wasntme:

BriC
28-04-2009, 14:43
My bad... yes 700/800 :wasntme:

No.. it should idle at 8000rpm!!!

:D

jantheeven
28-04-2009, 14:43
No.. it should idle at 8000rpm!!!

:D

Teehee :laugh:

sly-sy
28-04-2009, 15:14
This is definitely great reading ;)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=460

I have read that every single night laying in bed for 2 weeks now, i understand all the on boost adjustment and know it off by heart but that article doesnt give any info if u have bad AFR's on tick over or what area to look in etc

Also failed to mention the adjustment of the pump jet / cam/lever spring using the 5mm drill bit

plus cant find clear info on correct way to set up mixture, tried the whole set rev @ 2k and adjust till hunting pisses off, tried it at 1k tickover but it dont make any difference to my AFR wether screw is right in, only time it changes is when u take the screw out. nothing broken off and it already has a new mixture screw, put me finger over the whole and nothing changes so i know thats sealing properly.....

sly-sy
28-04-2009, 15:50
Mate... your AFRs seem to be behaving pretty normal. You will always see a fluctuating AFR when idling. However, 1000rpm idle is very high. Set it to 7-8k. Then adjust the idle mixture screw so AFR is in the mid 14s. When you start to accelerate, it's normal for the AFR to drop and then go up again to low/mid 14s when you've reached a steady speed. At WOT & full boost, the AFR should be in the low 12s. No, changing the a/c size won't have an effect on the off boost AFR. And screw wikipedia... read the article about the carb, mentioned in a previous post! :agree:

was trying to write my last post for last hour but stupid work keeps gettin in the way lol !!

i just had big concerns that it was running weak on idle and when turbo is building to full boost, it was happening with a AFR of 14.5 - wanted to bring that down slighty which i was looking at tinkering with the pump jet setting or the 1st stage maybe.

dont wana change too much as i'll be setting it up to fuel @ 20 psi soon once engine run in abit more

jantheeven
29-04-2009, 07:47
was trying to write my last post for last hour but stupid work keeps gettin in the way lol !!

i just had big concerns that it was running weak on idle and when turbo is building to full boost, it was happening with a AFR of 14.5 - wanted to bring that down slighty which i was looking at tinkering with the pump jet setting or the 1st stage maybe.

dont wana change too much as i'll be setting it up to fuel @ 20 psi soon once engine run in abit more

If I were you, I wouldn't change anything now if you're going to crank up the boost to 20psi. That kind of boost setting requires a completely different way of jetting the carb. Don't mess with the 1st stage... re-read the article! If your AFR is in the mid 14s when on full boost you're risking engine damage. It's WAY too lean! Take the carb apart and check your jet sizes (main jet, a/c and 2nd stage) before you up the boost.

jantheeven
29-04-2009, 07:53
I have read that every single night laying in bed for 2 weeks now, i understand all the on boost adjustment and know it off by heart but that article doesnt give any info if u have bad AFR's on tick over or what area to look in etc

Also failed to mention the adjustment of the pump jet / cam/lever spring using the 5mm drill bit

plus cant find clear info on correct way to set up mixture, tried the whole set rev @ 2k and adjust till hunting pisses off, tried it at 1k tickover but it dont make any difference to my AFR wether screw is right in, only time it changes is when u take the screw out. nothing broken off and it already has a new mixture screw, put me finger over the whole and nothing changes so i know thats sealing properly.....

Seems like something is really wrong there if your AFR doesn't change when you adjust the idle mixture screw. Give everything a thorough clean (again). Maybe your O2 sensor is broken, that's also a possibility. And again: 1000rpm idle is too high mate. Adjust the idle rev screw so that it runs 700-800rpm and try again to adjust the mixture screw so that AFR is in the mid 14s.