PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure

Dan O'Neill
26-04-2009, 21:34
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Had my 5 gtt running for the first time in 4 years yesderday when its cold the oil pressure is fine when its hot the gauge drops down to the 0 line at idle but when I rev it, it goes upto 6
I changed the oil (10w40) and this hasn't helped has anyone got any suggestions? thanks.

Kris M
26-04-2009, 21:37
Id probably put it down to a dodgy oil pressure gauge if you are refering to the standard one ??? They are notoriously known for funny readings ;)

Dan O'Neill
26-04-2009, 21:42
Yeah it is the standard gauge, im gonna try and find a new dash clock and compare the pressure plus my fuel gauge dont work, thanks for your reply.

Markey Mark (BD)
26-04-2009, 21:48
You'll prob find its more the pressure switch thats gives the wrong reading rather then the clocks.
I've taken loads off that have had years of old oil clogging it up, and good clean of the pressure switch and the oil feed union seems to make them give a more accurate reading

CHUNK The Goonies
27-04-2009, 13:13
IF you still have no joy try a seperate oil press gauge which will come with the sensor if that shows poor readings then start looking at your oil pump, prob worn, i,ve had the same problem :)

Dan O'Neill
27-04-2009, 21:08
IF you still have no joy try a seperate oil press gauge which will come with the sensor if that shows poor readings then start looking at your oil pump, prob worn, i,ve had the same problem :)

Im looking into getting a after market gauge, the engine has only done about 2500 miles since it got rebuilt with new everything apart from pistons, liners, con rods and valves its been sat for about 4 years.

R5GTTRaider
27-04-2009, 21:43
were is the pressure sensor?

Kris M
27-04-2009, 21:47
on the front of the block, follow the turbo oil feed line down to where it bolts to the block:)