PDA

View Full Version : quick one about changing the cam

rennie5gtt
25-04-2009, 18:51
Hi,

Got engine out and wanting to change the cam, but done head gasket not so long ago,is it possible to do this without taking the head off,

I was thinking if I pull gearbox off and put it on the engine stand, turn it up side down and then take the cam out followers would not all down, if you no what im saying, of couse I will take oil out push rods ect.

Or am I best taking the head off and changing the gasket again.

???????????

Thanks Dan ..

Philclubman
25-04-2009, 20:45
yes you can do it upside down, just remove the pushrods first, though by removing the rocker shaft etc you might be disturbing the head gasket if you loosen off the head bolts to do it, some would say just to change the gasket again anyway.

I think GTTuning or someone does them in the car. They use eight telescopic magnetic pick up things, the ones you use to pick up bolts or screws youve dropped. They slide them down the push rod hole and hold the follows up out of the way, think they just used pegs to hold them up lol, sure ive seen a picture somehere. best of luck

Matt Cole
25-04-2009, 23:28
You can remove the pushrods withowt undoing the shaft.

Sparkie
26-04-2009, 01:11
you only need one magnetic pick up tool.
you pull the followers into the space bewteen the head and the block.
then use a screwdriver to push em back in afterwards.

rennie5gtt
26-04-2009, 10:22
Thanks all

Now going to have ago at it...

CHUNK The Goonies
27-04-2009, 13:23
Just take head gasket back off, easy peasy lemon squeezy save all the cufuffull:cooter:

rennie5gtt
28-04-2009, 17:42
yes just take haed off, no ****ing around that way,
lol,
easy done...