PDA

View Full Version : Charge Cooler Water Pipes

Chris Hebden
15-09-2008, 09:28
I wondered what pipes i could use for my charge cooler. I want to run a wider dia. pipe, 19mm. I was looking at aquarious pipe but would that stand up to the heat of the engine bay? Anyone got any other ideas? Cheers

Alastair
15-09-2008, 12:13
Chris, why do you want to run the wider pipes? Have you upped the flow rate by changing your pump? If not i dont think it will make much difference? I would get some plain clear stuff from the garden centre...

If your after extra charge cooling capacity you could try a second radiator in line with the first pace one, but i suspect once you do that the core in the CC will be the limiting factor?:crap:

Chris Hebden
15-09-2008, 12:51
I have a few changes coming up in terms of the charge cooler set up! I am looking at the minute at flow rates and pressure in terms of what pump to use. I am also looking at replacing the rad for a larger one! Replacing the pump it was reccomended i look at what pipe diameter to use, and the general idea is wider the better to lower the resistance in the system and to be able to hold and pass more water. Once i get this sorted and a few other ideas i have flying about i'll then look into changing the core if nescessary but as this isnt a track car i may be going to extreme, but we'll see!

So normal garden centre clear hose will be more than up to the job you reckon? Cheers Alastair, did you enjoy your hols?

DaveAVT
15-09-2008, 13:34
I have a few changes coming up in terms of the charge cooler set up! I am looking at the minute at flow rates and pressure in terms of what pump to use. I am also looking at replacing the rad for a larger one! Replacing the pump it was reccomended i look at what pipe diameter to use, and the general idea is wider the better to lower the resistance in the system and to be able to hold and pass more water. Once i get this sorted and a few other ideas i have flying about i'll then look into changing the core if nescessary but as this isnt a track car i may be going to extreme, but we'll see!

So normal garden centre clear hose will be more than up to the job you reckon? Cheers Alastair, did you enjoy your hols?

Look on my site www.chargecooler.co.uk (http://www.chargecooler.co.uk)

Go for the largest diameter you can, either 19mm, or double up to 25mm. The larger the diameter, the more water in the system (ie a jump from 19 to 25 is nearly 80% more volume) and hence less heat soak issues. The best pump for the application is on there too.

Garden centre plain clear hose has issues with heat, but I think thats what Pace used to use anyway, but it goes opaque and soft. You need hex woven really.

Chris Hebden
15-09-2008, 13:50
Didnt know that was your website! Been on their a few times! I was looking at that pump as it has been highly reccomended a few times now. As for flow rates i am trying to figure out which one i want, either fast at 20l/m or another pump i've found which flows at 13.3l/m but has a less pressure at 0.1bar. Why does pressure factor into it!?

DaveAVT
15-09-2008, 14:44
Because you can quite easily get more than 0.1 bar of pressure in a system, and that pump for instance may run 13l/m at 0.1, but then say only 3l at 0.2, and then at 0.3 actually stall, as the backpressure is higher than the motor power.

Most pumps come with a flow sheet, and this shows this.

Chris Hebden
15-09-2008, 14:46
Ah right, so for instance the heat in the system causes the build up of pressure and therefore causes a rise over 0.1bar which would then cause the pump to stall due to not being able to shift the now higher pressure?

DaveAVT
15-09-2008, 14:49
Ah right, so for instance the heat in the system causes the build up of pressure and therefore causes a rise over 0.1bar which would then cause the pump to stall due to not being able to shift the now higher pressure?

Heat, and the weight of water, and the restrictions etc in the system.