PDA

View Full Version : Running rough when warm

lilmark
22-04-2009, 23:33
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi

Im not sure if this has been asked before but when my 5 gets warm it starts running rough sometimes cuts out, i have been told its got bigger jets in the carb but not to sure if it has.

With the running problem is it a case of putting it on a CO machine an playing with the mixture screw to sort.

Im new to owning a 5 so please take it easy on me

Thanks
Mark

IANMM
23-04-2009, 08:44
The way i see it is all cars run a bit crapper the hotter they get (have you seen how more responsive your car is on a cold day?) and boy does the 5 like to get hot as long as your temp is shooting through the ceiling and your fan is kicking in etc and your not going through coolant like no tomorrow i dont think there is anything to worry about.....maybe flush your system out make sure your coolant system is running ok (no air in it etc) and as for it cutting out if its happening on idel mabe adjust that so it ticks over better, dont think you need bigger jets mate

ian

Tiny Tim
23-04-2009, 08:49
I'd deffinately get the fuelling checked out if you're not familiar with these cars, you dont want to find out you over/underfuelling massively for the boost you're running - that'll end in tears.

Once thats sorted, give the coolant system a good clean out, bleed properly and see how it goes. The weather isnt even hot yet, if you're having issues already then you dont want it to all go wrong stuck in a traffic jam come summer.

lilmark
23-04-2009, 19:17
Tiny tim - its over fueling alot its bloody stinks when u turn the car off after being out in it

IANM - I have blead the cooling system today in work an its ok an the fan kicks in between the 1/2 an 3/4 lines

It also runs rough when warm when the car is sat still on idle i will have a play with the fueling tonight

Thanks

IANMM
24-04-2009, 08:54
check for fuel leaks clean carb etc i would first before you start messing around with jets etc....i take it it was running ok before?

lilmark
24-04-2009, 19:04
Yes mate it was running great holding the boost fine its not long had a engine rebuild

Matt Cole
24-04-2009, 20:07
The way i see it is all cars run a bit crapper the hotter they get (have you seen how more responsive your car is on a cold day?) and boy does the 5 like to get hot as long as your temp is shooting through the ceiling and your fan is kicking in etc and your not going through coolant like no tomorrow i dont think there is anything to worry about.....maybe flush your system out make sure your coolant system is running ok (no air in it etc) and as for it cutting out if its happening on idel mabe adjust that so it ticks over better, dont think you need bigger jets mate

ian

Eh?? So my laguna runs crapper on a warm day and wont idle?? News to me mate. Yes charge temps can affect power output but it wont affect how the engine idles and drives. It sounds like it could be overfueling causing it to bog down. If you rev it just before cutting out does it clear the problem??

lilmark
24-04-2009, 21:51
yes an it sorts its self out but it can do it anytime stationary or on the move its really annoying me now

Hubbell
25-04-2009, 21:36
Check the mixture screw is in situ, these little feckers often fly off causing all manner of problems.

lilmark
26-04-2009, 14:30
Hub I have checked the mixture screw an it was missing the rubber o ring which has now been sorted

I have had the car at me mates garage an he had a look over it an saidit could be the spark plugs as they were racing plugs in it so they have been changed to r5 campus plugs but the problem still continues

RICHIE
26-04-2009, 17:18
Hub I have checked the mixture screw an it was missing the rubber o ring which has now been sorted

I have had the car at me mates garage an he had a look over it an saidit could be the spark plugs as they were racing plugs in it so they have been changed to r5 campus plugs but the problem still continues

ngkb8evx seem to be a common plug to use. i would definitely get the fueling setup

Scoff
26-04-2009, 21:32
Hi mark, I'm the person that fitted the o-ring back into your idle jet, etc, the other day.

Try and find another working carburettor and try it. Knowing what you've tried and what we checked for the other day tells me that the problem will most likely be with the carb itself. If a different carb works then it's worth pulling yours down and investigating. I don't think Chris will have any complete carburettors unfortunately.

lilmark
26-04-2009, 21:50
Scoff thanks for that on saturday i will have a look for a carb now an get one hope it sorts it casue its doing my nut in now haha

Could i rebuild the carb or is it to much messing about

lilmark
25-05-2009, 18:05
Fitted me new carb yesterday that i received from Richie but the car still runs like a bag of sh1te when it gets warm, i have had people saying to me it could be the earths on the engine, head gasket could anyone else shed some light on this for please

Thanks

RICHIE
25-05-2009, 18:10
Fitted me new carb yesterday that i received from Richie but the car still runs like a bag of sh1te when it gets warm, i have had people saying to me it could be the earths on the engine, head gasket could anyone else shed some light on this for please

Thanks

defo not carb related then have you changed the fuel filter checked the fuel tank breather is clear

lilmark
25-05-2009, 18:26
no mate its not the carb the fuel filter is one of them little clear ones under the bonnet as the fuel pump is to big to fit a metal one under the car no ive not checked the fuel tank breather