PDA

View Full Version : Gurston down hillclimb, sunday just gone.

jesus in the seat of a 5
21-04-2009, 18:01
As above , went with james george , bloody good day , if not a little early on the start....5am..:laugh:, got there fine , set up and did two practice runs, james was alittle dissapoited but he improved through the day, managed a 40sec run so his time wasnt bad at all, ill hopefully be competing in the cup next time...:D, cheers james for a good day , im sure you ll be quizing mr. Cookes brain on how to get that time down even further...:laugh:...:wasntme:, good day , some great people.

One last thanks , to claire for the sarnies and crisps..:D, here are some pics..mr george even fits in some parenting...:laugh:

Adam L
21-04-2009, 18:46
Here's Andy there back in 2006, pretty awesome video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUw6ceZ9VMA

Andrew Cooke
21-04-2009, 18:56
My first time there in 2002 I did a 37.74, best since then is 35.49. The first time was with a free diff, same tyres as James, I think a T28. My car was quite a bit lighter than James'. I'd think he could find a couple of seconds with the car much as it is. It's an intimidating hill though, I've got nowhere near to getting the best of my car there, going once a year doesn't help :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
21-04-2009, 19:11
My first time there in 2002 I did a 37.74, best since then is 35.49. The first time was with a free diff, same tyres as James, I think a T28. My car was quite a bit lighter than James'. I'd think he could find a couple of seconds with the car much as it is. It's an intimidating hill though, I've got nowhere near to getting the best of my car there, going once a year doesn't help :)

Exactly his words..."im rusty and its tougher than it looks"...:crap:, ill probally do a 60 sec..:laugh:

Andrew Cooke
21-04-2009, 19:23
Exactly his words..."im rusty and its tougher than it looks"...:crap:, ill probally do a 60 sec..:laugh:

I think how hard you go into that first left hander (hollow), then attack the bottom of Karousel is pretty key, I've been through both traps at 96mph. To compare, the first time I was there the traps were 87mph - that'll be the extra horsepower :D

That only leaves Ashes to worry about as James must be flat from there on.

That's what makes Gurston hard, only really got 3 corners, a bit like Shelsley Walsh (kennel, crossing, bottom S).

Andrew Cooke
21-04-2009, 20:06
I've added a new/old clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hKdihbctbI

James George
21-04-2009, 20:20
As above , went with james george , bloody good day , if not a little early on the start....5am..:laugh:, got there fine , set up and did two practice runs, james was alittle dissapoited but he improved through the day, managed a 40sec run so his time wasnt bad at all, ill hopefully be competing in the cup next time...:D, cheers james for a good day , im sure you ll be quizing mr. Cookes brain on how to get that time down even further...:laugh:...:wasntme:, good day , some great people.

One last thanks , to claire for the sarnies and crisps..:D, here are some pics..mr george even fits in some parenting...:laugh:

was a good day and was good to have jesus along for the ride. although the much needed divine intervention never arrived and yes was a little disapointed not to go a smidge quicker. top pics as well mr c.

my trap speed over the line was 84 on every run. interestingly my times were nearly identical to last year in road going trim. same trap time as well although i managed a 39 sec run then. think would have matched it but car started jumping out of gear somewhere in ashes or on approach not sure but it buggered up last 2 runs. class winning car was doing 98 over the line so along way to go on power. and I was also driving lile a tit most of the day, extremely rusty. made more frustrating as car felt pretty good to drive but for the bloody gearbox. andy did you ever have greif with it jumping out at ashes?

next stop is wiscombe in may and for me much more familiar ground before going back to gurston in june, just need to find another 50hp from somewhere.

James George
21-04-2009, 20:30
I've added a new/old clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hKdihbctbI

very interesting your only using 3 gears? I am in 4th at times (through hollow and over line) and second by ashes which is a real pain and leaves me stuffed as its off boost on exit if i am lucky enough for it to still be in gear. what ratios / final drive ??
i am revving to just short of 7k. my gearbox is volvo which i am pretty sure is same as ren 11

Andrew Cooke
21-04-2009, 20:42
very interesting your only using 3 gears? I am in 4th at times (through hollow and over line) and second by ashes which is a real pain and leaves me stuffed as its off boost on exit if i am lucky enough for it to still be in gear. what ratios / final drive ??
i am revving to just short of 7k. my gearbox is volvo which i am pretty sure is same as ren 11

not jumped out of gear at ashes, but I have missed 3rd and buzzed the motor.

Although that's the 172 box which is shorter geared than the GTT one, it's on the 23.3" fronts, plus I'm revving to just short on 8K, in fact, you see the rev counter jump as I'm hitting the rev limiter as the wheels spin at the top of the hill. The gearing was too tall with that setup, so I bought the 4.6n final drive.

Yeah, Ashes exit with a T28 is pretty iffy, you have to compromise the line to try and keep it on the boil.

James George
21-04-2009, 20:59
not jumped out of gear at ashes, but I have missed 3rd and buzzed the motor.

Although that's the 172 box which is shorter geared than the GTT one, it's on the 23.3" fronts, plus I'm revving to just short on 8K, in fact, you see the rev counter jump as I'm hitting the rev limiter as the wheels spin at the top of the hill. The gearing was too tall with that setup, so I bought the 4.6n final drive.

Yeah, Ashes exit with a T28 is pretty iffy, you have to compromise the line to try and keep it on the boil.

ahh ok that explains things. whats the final drive on the 172 box? is it around 4.3?

I might almost be better going the other way and using standard gt final drive. that and a few more revs might get me out of ashes on the boil. it killed every run out of there either no boost or no gears. i knew if i attacked it any more the barrier was looking a little close.

Andrew Cooke
21-04-2009, 21:07
ahh ok that explains things. whats the final drive on the 172 box? is it around 4.3?

I might almost be better going the other way and using standard gt final drive. that and a few more revs might get me out of ashes on the boil. it killed every run out of there either no boost or no gears. i knew if i attacked it any more the barrier was looking a little close.

172 is 4.07, same a R11T. GTT is taller at 3.73. 3rd gear is pretty much the same in all boxes, but 4th is a little lower in the 172.

I think you need to find out what your ratios really are, gonna be difficult to pick anything better without knowing that.

Much as I've had trouble with my VNT, I'd suggest you look at one. You'll have more time to get it right than me, and the wider power band will pay dividends. You ought to be able to trap at around 110mph at the pod, should be a pretty nifty engine.

Andrew Cooke
21-04-2009, 21:09
by 172 I mean JC5-129 (I think 130 is the same), there are some other 172 boxes out there.

James George
21-04-2009, 21:22
172 is 4.07, same a R11T. GTT is taller at 3.73. 3rd gear is pretty much the same in all boxes, but 4th is a little lower in the 172.

I think you need to find out what your ratios really are, gonna be difficult to pick anything better without knowing that.

Much as I've had trouble with my VNT, I'd suggest you look at one. You'll have more time to get it right than me, and the wider power band will pay dividends. You ought to be able to trap at around 110mph at the pod, should be a pretty nifty engine.

i'm pretty confident that my final drive is same as ren 11, its definitly not as tall as 5 GTT. the quoted ratios and final drive on 480 box are identical to ren 11. my speed measured at wiscombe of line on limiter at 7k corresponds well with the spread sheet using these ratios. if the box is jumping out of gear then its time for a change anyway, have a spare in the shed just incase.

is the 172 box any stronger in your experience?, take it by your other post that its not worth the expense of paying for someone to build something fancy

your right with the turbo i definitly need something new on that front although have not considered VNT. with the baby though not sure time is something i have masses of :laugh:

Andrew Cooke
22-04-2009, 13:24
the 172 box will be stronger, but, it's likely to have had a harder life. I wouldn't get too hung up on it. I think my good 172 box had done 3K miles when I got it.

By more time I was meaning that you get the chance to tune on the road, I get either an event, or have to pay for RR time.

James George
23-04-2009, 20:56
the 172 box will be stronger, but, it's likely to have had a harder life. I wouldn't get too hung up on it. I think my good 172 box had done 3K miles when I got it.

By more time I was meaning that you get the chance to tune on the road, I get either an event, or have to pay for RR time.

ahh see what you meant, however now in the same boat as car isn't taxed/MOT'd etc at the mo. got to the point where it was only being trialered to events and collecting dust in the garage, anyway thanks for all the info and advise its much appreciated