PDA

View Full Version : Problem when filling.

Misky
20-04-2009, 08:28
Hi guys just filled the car up today as its road legal! :D

The previous tank had a leak, so I replaced with a new one. Since then the car never really had more than 10L in it. When to the filling station this morn and as soon as I filled up to 13L the pump started clicking like the tank was full then petrol was leaking onto the floor at fair rate.

I know all the joints from reserve to main are good. So is it the breathing system?
Could I have possible plumbed in the pipes wrong under the rear bench, thus making it over flow due to the gases. :scratch:

Tiny Tim
20-04-2009, 08:31
Deffinately sounds like the breathers. They can get blocked quite easily, so its not necessarily that you've put them on the wrong way.

Oh, and make sure your reserve tank is strapped up properly.

Misky
20-04-2009, 08:40
Deffinately sounds like the breathers. They can get blocked quite easily, so its not necessarily that you've put them on the wrong way.

Oh, and make sure your reserve tank is strapped up properly.

Argh well the reserve tank could be suspect as its on with cable ties :ashamed:
But im going to renault at dinner away today so il see if they are available.

If it is the breathers whats the best way to unblock them Tim?
Didn't The chap who bought Chris's car have this problem?

Tiny Tim
20-04-2009, 08:54
The only reason I mention the reserve/aux tank is because on one of my old 5's it used to hang down before I sorted a new bracket... up until I fitted the new bracket it used to click like mad when filling it up.

Get a new bracket and see if it helps. If not, undo the filler cap, one by one take the vacuum pipes off and blow through them as hard as possible.

Misky
20-04-2009, 09:01
Cheers for that mate! Il get onto it! :agree:

sphinX
20-04-2009, 10:10
Where are these vacuum pipes located? I have this same problem (the clicking at about 13L) but just carry on going as its never led to any oher problem.

Ashy
20-04-2009, 12:35
I'm also interested in this, I seem to have this problem aswell (the fuel leaking out from ontop of the tank), I first thought it was an issue with the seal around the pickup in the top of the tank, but I've sorted that and cleaned out all the breathers.... I did find that the pipe had come off the breather on the top of the tank and wondered if that my of caused it?

Misky
20-04-2009, 12:41
I have just had a peak under the car and there is a 'T' piece that's parts of the system that goes from aux/ to main but the 'T' is broke. maybe that is a poss problem aswel.?

Tiny Tim
20-04-2009, 13:23
I'm also interested in this, I seem to have this problem aswell (the fuel leaking out from ontop of the tank), I first thought it was an issue with the seal around the pickup in the top of the tank, but I've sorted that and cleaned out all the breathers.... I did find that the pipe had come off the breather on the top of the tank and wondered if that my of caused it?

Quite likely it could be the seal for the swirl pot in the middle Ash, they've been known to go too.

James5
20-04-2009, 17:00

I also have this prob if I fill my tank to the full (my tank was brand new from Renault about 2 years ago) I also thought it was breathers so cleaned them up and then I took a look at the sender unit and renewed the seal but the problem was still there when I last used the car it only does it when full if I fill 3/4 it is fine.

markey b
20-04-2009, 18:54
same here... when mine is filled it stinks of fuel but the next day its ok even if i only drive back from filling up

RICHIE
20-04-2009, 20:57
http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/paulb69_2006/dialogys/?action=view&current=00009791_1-1.png

if thats any help to anyone