PDA

View Full Version : strange noise on motorway

HaarlemPaul
20-04-2009, 07:59
hi all,
another problem :rolleyes:

when driving at speed (above 80km/h) usually on the motorway, whenever I turn the steering slightly to the right, I hear a slight whirring noise. The kind of sound you hear when you touch the white lines at the side. I never hear it when turning fully right such as when cornering. If it was the bearing, then I would hear it all the time surely?

Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be any play in the wheels/steering?

Alex
20-04-2009, 12:14
It sounds like the bearing (s) to me. I've had the same sitution - can't hear anything in a straight line but when you turn the steering you can hear it.

You just need to figure out which one it is...:sad2:

HaarlemPaul
20-04-2009, 12:50
It sounds like the bearing (s) to me. I've had the same sitution - can't hear anything in a straight line but when you turn the steering you can hear it.

You just need to figure out which one it is...:sad2:

the thing is, it's not exactly a turn of the steering wheel. It's actually when I'm going in a straight line, and then just touch the wheel to the right a bit (normal correction whilst staying in same lane). then i hear it. Thought it might be a UJ joint or something.

Philclubman
20-04-2009, 19:54
Yeah that will be one or more of your wheel bearings, try to listen which side it is, and if its front or back. Ive had a few do it, you only need to turn a very small bit and it makes the noise, then it goes quiet when you turn the other way. Change it and all will be well again lol

RICHIE
20-04-2009, 19:57
gearbox or driveshaft could also have a whine.

old skool turbo power
20-04-2009, 20:12
hi all,
another problem :rolleyes:

when driving at speed (above 80km/h) usually on the motorway, whenever I turn the steering slightly to the right, I hear a slight whirring noise. The kind of sound you hear when you touch the white lines at the side. I never hear it when turning fully right such as when cornering. If it was the bearing, then I would hear it all the time surely?

Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be any play in the wheels/steering?

this also happend to me sounds like the old wheel bearing to me it came and then went:confused:this would always happen to me on the old motorway.a slight turn in the steering then the sound came.!!!!!
you wont get any play in the wheel because as i was told the bearing was cased in like so no play would be seen just the noise was quite annoying tbh.

J$£5GTT
20-04-2009, 20:43
gearbox or driveshaft could also have a whine.

:agree:

try jacking up the front of your car an check for play in the bearings

:)

mr bean aka pete
20-04-2009, 22:40
is the noise more noisy 1 way or is it the same for both ? and to check the wheel bearings jack up the front and spin the wheels clockwise quickly and ur hear a drowning noise :)

R5GTTRaider
21-04-2009, 00:00
you wont get any play in the wheel because as i was told the bearing was cased in like so no play would be seen

youve obisly never had a bearing go on you properly,

just means the bearing is going much like a gear box or bottom end will whine

sphinX
21-04-2009, 00:15
I had the same, was wheel bearing

THE MASTER
21-04-2009, 00:20
it could be wheel bearing. but it could be somthing real simple

have a butchers at your roof ariel . if it's sticking straight up try lowering it

yes i did say roof arieal .. if your roof ariel is up too high it will vibrate due to wind and sound like a wheel bearing
:laugh:
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=273&pictureid=2272

the long stick on your roof

sphinX
21-04-2009, 00:23

have a butchers at your roof ariel . if it's sticking straight up try lowering it

yes i did say roof arieal .. if your roof ariel is up too high it will vibrate due to wind and sound like a wheel bearing

LOL!

J$£5GTT
21-04-2009, 17:54

maybe the radio needs tuning.

HaarlemPaul
21-04-2009, 19:08
Yeah that will be one or more of your wheel bearings, try to listen which side it is, and if its front or back. Ive had a few do it, you only need to turn a very small bit and it makes the noise, then it goes quiet when you turn the other way. Change it and all will be well again lol

'tis the front right side. identified it, just need to change it... now when do I actually have any spare time in my agenda :scratch: :dearme: :wasntme:

HaarlemPaul
21-04-2009, 19:12

???what, in just one direction, nah it's windy enough in this country to negate this but...
I wasn't sure whether to take this comment seriously, but am curous enough anyway to actually stick it up to see if it becomes more audible...