PDA

View Full Version : what mig welder to get???

blue mackay
18-04-2009, 10:50
can anyone tell me whats the best mig welder to go for and easiest to use?
just for general repair work on the 5 eg sills,plates the usual!!

ive looked at gas,and gasless not sure which and not sure what make to go for??
theres a few in the adds for sale so before i dive in would like to get some info on them
if anyone could please help??? :confused:

TURBO'D CLIO
18-04-2009, 13:50
Hi there

I'm a welder by trade so i know exact what you need...

Don't by gas less migs there total crap, and also don't buy a low ampage one as they get to hot and trip out all the time even on tiny small patch.

You really want around 120 - 150 amp welder (mig welder with gas) these are perfect for welding cars, you can turn the welder to about 4 on the voltage and it wont blow holes or trip out, nice clean strong welds aswell..

But really don't by a low ampage one as they just can't cope and wen they trip out with over heating you got a 20 min wait b4 u can use it again, total rubbish...

Hopes this helps...

blue mackay
18-04-2009, 20:01
Hi there

I'm a welder by trade so i know exact what you need...

Don't by gas less migs there total crap, and also don't buy a low ampage one as they get to hot and trip out all the time even on tiny small patch.

You really want around 120 - 150 amp welder (mig welder with gas) these are perfect for welding cars, you can turn the welder to about 4 on the voltage and it wont blow holes or trip out, nice clean strong welds aswell..

But really don't by a low ampage one as they just can't cope and wen they trip out with over heating you got a 20 min wait b4 u can use it again, total rubbish...

Hopes this helps...

just pmd you thankyou very much fella!!
im off to get myself a mig yeeha!!!
:laugh:

gtmatt
18-04-2009, 20:50
i have a murex trade unit , great unit:)

blue mackay
18-04-2009, 21:07
i have a murex trade unit , great unit:)
what kind of price did you pay ???

gtmatt
18-04-2009, 21:14
got it off ebay from a bodyshop which shut down i payed about £300 second hand mine is the single phase 1( tradesmig) they are the best imo but can pay big bucks , a machine mart would do the job though:)

blue mackay
18-04-2009, 21:31
got it off ebay from a bodyshop which shut down i payed about £300 second hand mine is the single phase 1( tradesmig) they are the best imo but can pay big bucks , a machine mart would do the job though:)

snap im just looking there,going to try the free adds papers!!!
need to save the candy for the greedy 5!!!

thanks for that fella!

ROB C2GTT
18-04-2009, 21:32
Ive got a 130 amp snap on Mig and its awesome. Wasnt mega money either really, i think i paid around 260? I use a 160 amp sealey one at work and must say its been trouble free for the 8 years ive been there.

V Man
25-04-2009, 18:20
On a similar theme has anyone any tips on obtaining gas. I'm sick of lashing out a £10 from Halfrauds every time i want to weld something :cry:. I mean they are ok if your careful but I want something bigger!
I was thinking of asking a boozer to rent a co2 cannister or something. I know most gasses are argon co2 mix or just argon or whatever but straight co2 should be ok?

anyone done this or any ideas. It would be nice to weld to my hearts content and not have to worry about gas or incur big costs!

car.crash
25-04-2009, 18:38
i just got a pub gas bottle from ebay. £15 and a local firm MR FIZZ gassed it for me for £10. cheaper than a bottle from halfords and about 100 times bigger.

V Man
25-04-2009, 22:10
:cool:

TURBO'D CLIO
26-04-2009, 17:20
i just got a pub gas bottle from ebay. £15 and a local firm MR FIZZ gassed it for me for £10. cheaper than a bottle from halfords and about 100 times bigger.

Only trouble with pub gas is it's not as clean as proper welding gas, unless your a good welder then i wouldn't touch pub gas else it will be bird sh*t delight. lol