PDA

View Full Version : Shogun 2.8 TD

Rob@Backyardracing
17-04-2009, 22:54
Ok well my towing vehicle shared with my pops started to get a cold start issue over the last year. The heat plugs are new and also nice volts to either end of the rail from cold. It will start ok for 30-60 secs then die... i looked into this and it seems its diesel pump seal that goes on this style of engine... The 2.8 i have is the later type with cog style drive pump not belt. so i thought i mite have a go a stripping this down to do seals but my father found a cheap place that does this job? so i went with this as i havnt worked on diesels much.. Off it goes and day later its not the pump seal as it looks ok? the guy now says its the fly By throttle link on the pump... I disagree ALOT.... as i know it must be a leak of some sort? the engine will drive find once its cleared this issue and once running drives find etc and will start up find unless left over 5 hours? hence why i think its a air leak? has anyone heard of any other issues on these? can the first feed pump fail in anyway, i cant find a diesel leak anywhere and tried every joint? Bit of a long shot here but im scratching at things and prob a big bill from a stupid fooking garage i new i shouldnt of bothered with and had a go myself...

Andrew Cooke
17-04-2009, 23:11
have you looked on the Pajero Owners Club site?

Rob@Backyardracing
17-04-2009, 23:23
Yeah i went on a month ago or so and they all said pump seal :confused: the seal fails and leaks engine oil in to pump? all my levels have been fine as i checked but i new i should have dropped the fuel filter and looked at this for oil...:confused: but aperently its not this seal at fualt???? im cheesed as this guy has rang my old man and said it may be flybi and need testing but as my dad isnt that way in mind and didnt know what to say at time i now feel like im getting ripped off as the pump has been sent away for a test :confused: :mad::mad::mad:

Apart from all that tho... i cant seem to think where else a leak of some sort could be? other than the first feed pump?? or is it poss that maybe water can get in to the tank? how would this effect the running? water wouldnt float on diesel so get sucked in first to engine from the base of the tank? or am i wrong???

Andrew Cooke
17-04-2009, 23:46
all I know about diesels is they work by magic. I assume you did all the obvious service stuff - air filter, fuel filer, drained the water trap