PDA

View Full Version : lean problem fixed....but how?!

Mr 5
17-04-2009, 08:38
ok long story short my car had a small electrical fire in a petrol station....not ideal

not bad,just a few puffs of smoke under the dash but i did poo a small egg,

fixed it in the car park next door,turned out to be the ignition barrel wiring had been spliced into and the crimp was hardly attached.
put new connectors on,extended the wiring abit with decent gauge wire and away we went....but the leaning problem i had on boost has vanished...

could the problem have been a bad connection on the ignition wiring all along?

new problem now tho,drove car for about 10mile wothout a hickup,then for no reason it cut out...

started again 1st time,ran for 3 seconds,then died,afr's were reading 20's as it died.

left it for 10mins or so,tried again and it was normal again? then driving home was going very rich,afr's were 7-8 ?!

assuming its time for a new carb or rebuild kit?

UNICRONICUS
17-04-2009, 09:00
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Check the pressure of the fuel going to the carb, it could be that your fuel filter is blocked, the fuel pump is dodgy (or the wiring to it is) or the regulator is faulty. Being an electrical problem before though I would check around the coil (renix unit) to see if all connections here are good, the fuel pump runs off a relay which works off the ignition.

5teve L
17-04-2009, 09:41
Wierd, I take it you have an LC- ??
If so it needs to be wired in properly or it will give false readings... Although if your car is cutting out it prob does have carb/fuel related probs..

Mr 5
17-04-2009, 17:53
pressure to carb is fine,

fitted new pump,filter and regulator,checked all vac and fuel lines.fuel filter in the carb,checked needle,float,idle jet.

taken pump relay off and bridged wires,all is fine.

car is running fine now so gonne take it out and see what happens,

have noticed the mixture screw needs to be wound right out or it wont idle tho,seems like the threads that hold the screw in are fubard ?

Mr 5
17-04-2009, 17:55
oh and yeh iv got a wideband,been in the car about 4months now with no problems,defo reading right,when it was running lean you could feel the car holding back and the gauge just confirmed it,

got a new carb coming anyday now so this should solve the problem hopefully

MR TURBO
17-04-2009, 17:58
oh and yeh iv got a wideband,been in the car about 4months now with no problems,defo reading right,when it was running lean you could feel the car holding back and the gauge just confirmed it,

got a new carb coming anyday now so this should solve the problem hopefully

How much that set ya back?? carb..

Mr 5
17-04-2009, 18:00
not 'new' new mate, just new to me,:)

2nd hand off mark,cheap cheap standard jobbie :cool:

Mr 5
17-04-2009, 18:42
ok....im confused.....could the threads in the carb where the mixture screw attach make the car not idle ? as in if i start the car,it'l idle for 4seconds then die with the afr gauge reading 21. put soime plumbers tape on the mixture screw,put it into the carb,quick setup and its running fine....better than ever infact?

could that be the problem or is it just a coincidence?

THE MASTER
17-04-2009, 23:01
could that be the problem or is it just a coincidence?[/quote]

could be eather
could be that the co screew needed to be sealed and not let air in (thats why there is a tiny o ring at the top
or it could be just a tad of dirt behind the co screw that got disloged when you took it out
:coffee:

TURBO'D CLIO
18-04-2009, 09:50
ok....im confused.....could the threads in the carb where the mixture screw attach make the car not idle ? as in if i start the car,it'l idle for 4seconds then die with the afr gauge reading 21. put soime plumbers tape on the mixture screw,put it into the carb,quick setup and its running fine....better than ever infact?

could that be the problem or is it just a coincidence?

I reakon it would be that, prob taking in air past the screw.. or like the master said, could be a bit of **** behind the screw when u removed it..