PDA

View Full Version : From Power Steering To Manual

TURBO'D CLIO
17-04-2009, 00:05
I'm doing a project street sleeper by putting a volvo turbo lump into my mk 2 clio..

Now the clio has power steering and i was wondering how much work is it to convert it to manual steering rack, it would make my life simpler so i don't have to plumb in the power steering pipes..

Is it as simple as changing the rack for a manual one, same bolts the lot ? would it fit ok on the end of my coloum.. ?

Any help would be pucka guys.. :agree:

Rob@Backyardracing
17-04-2009, 07:42
You can just remove the pipes from the rack and run dry.. Will work ok but i here that the rack doesnt last as long.....

Andrew Cooke
17-04-2009, 09:47
I think you link the pipes together to keep the crap out. Just keep the PAS.

ROB C2GTT
17-04-2009, 13:46
When i did my clio conversion i just took pipes off and filled the holes with silicone to keep dirt out. I felt it drove fine and was not an issue.

TURBO'D CLIO
17-04-2009, 17:54
so really i can just remove the pipes or blank them off, and it will still steer fine ? Will it not be heavy on the steering, just some cars you cant even turn when the pump has gone or a pipe is burst...

Also interested in this clio you done mate, do you have any pic's or info i need to guide me along.. I wanna make a monster 4 door sleeper clio, some thing that no one would ever expect to go so well..

I wanna nail m3's to a ton lol :cooter:

tiff_lee
17-04-2009, 18:32
I was under the impression PAS racks were designed to function with PAS only and without the pump, fluid etc the steering becomes uber stiff and will eventually ruin the rack?

TURBO'D CLIO
17-04-2009, 21:19
I would have said the same thing, we have had cars in work with no ps fluid in and u can barly turn the steering lol...

Is it not a simple job to wack a standard rack init, i have the engine out and subframe down so its all there simple to get to...

Andrew Cooke
17-04-2009, 21:56
which model has a suitable rack though? Just connect the PAS up, you have all the bits.

THE MASTER
17-04-2009, 22:20
which model has a suitable rack though? Just connect the PAS up, you have all the bits.
keep the pas and hock it up or get a none pas rack
reason is the ratios are different . and if you use a pas rack without it being pumped your not going to be able to stear fast enough to get you out of trouble due to the heavy and restricted movment
:crap:

Rob@Backyardracing
17-04-2009, 22:26
Ok, on my clio i had with GT lump my rack and rack speed etc felt the same ass my valver i drive everyday, i didnt even notice that i ditched the PAS.. the only pain was car park parking style driving, but even that wasnt hard to turn :confused: im going of the c1j lump here fitted to a Mk1 clio

TURBO'D CLIO
17-04-2009, 22:42

Well the volvo pump looks almost indentical to that of the reno, only thing i will have to do is prob bend the pipes to fit the pump...

Just life would be easier with a standard rack plus no pipes under the bonnet for a tidy look.... Would the fittings be the same on the reno pump to that of the volvo pipes?

Also would i use the volvo altinator or the reno one.. ?

tiff_lee
17-04-2009, 23:21
Ok, on my clio i had with GT lump my rack and rack speed etc felt the same ass my valver i drive everyday, i didnt even notice that i ditched the PAS.. the only pain was car park parking style driving, but even that wasnt hard to turn :confused: im going of the c1j lump here fitted to a Mk1 clio
I can't comment on a clio but my comment was based on my old pug 306, the PAS pump pulley came off on the motorway and I could barely turn at speed let alone at a stand still.

Scoff
17-04-2009, 23:29
A 2001 Clio I did some engine conversion work on came with a PAS rack, we just left the PAS disconnected and it worked fine as manual rack. Steering was heavy but usable, it wouldn't bother me and didn't bother the owner. maybe a manual rack would have felt lighter ?

Rob@Backyardracing
17-04-2009, 23:35
I can't comment on a clio but my comment was based on my old pug 306, the PAS pump pulley came off on the motorway and I could barely turn at speed let alone at a stand still.

I agree on some cases.. i drove many porsches with failed PAS and there a bitch to streer... i ditched the PAS on my civic project but this isnt to bad imo... depends on the car...........

TURBO'D CLIO
17-04-2009, 23:46
Ok so steering could be a bit of trial and error...

What about which altinator to use, the volvo one or the renault one, i would have said volvo one because of the loom im using to, but then on the other hand maybe the reno one cuz it goes with the car ?

Both only have 2 wires in them - any idea's lad's

Andrew Cooke
17-04-2009, 23:52
use the Volvo as it's already bolted to the engine, no need to make work for yourself :D

TURBO'D CLIO
18-04-2009, 08:40
I was thinking the same but im sure i red some where that i need the rsi altinator bracket too, some thing about not clearing summit when the engine is fitted.

But looking at it id say it will fit fine.. ?

tiff_lee
18-04-2009, 08:43
Give it a go could always get the bracket afterwards if required?

TURBO'D CLIO
18-04-2009, 09:05
Yeah as soon as i get this rsi mounting that goes on the head ill be away, i was gonna hang the engine in the car and wire the loom in roughly just so i can hear it run ir the car and see that it fits and how it fits..
I wont even bother fitting the subframe or drive shafts, aslong as i can run it for 10 seconds ill be happy, then i can make a start sorting every thing out properly..

So bloody need that mount - just one mount holding me back.. :mad: