PDA

View Full Version : Excessive steam

stevo clio
16-04-2009, 18:19
rite i have just built up the c1j engine and fitted it into a mk1 clio but noe that i sorted out the odd leak here and there i have let it run to full temp and im getting excessive amounts of steam out of the exhaust. Could this be caused by the liners settling down into the block and the head/ head gasket just requiring a nip up? if so what torque figures should i look at putting them to? i did put the to the official figures when built up

RICHIE
16-04-2009, 18:22
are you loosing water is there any mayo under thae cap are you able to do a compression check . are you sure its not condensation

stevo clio
16-04-2009, 18:25
are you loosing water is there any mayo under thae cap are you able to do a compression check . are you sure its not condensation

its using a little bit of water, deffo no mayo and its far too excessive for condensation, get a puddle after 15min at full temp.

RICHIE
16-04-2009, 18:28
its using a little bit of water, deffo no mayo and its far too excessive for condensation, get a puddle after 15min at full temp.

i would be doing a compression check sounds like the water is entering your exhaust system. was the head skimmed and pressure tested

stevo clio
16-04-2009, 18:30
i would be doing a compression check sounds like the water is entering your exhaust system. was the head skimmed and pressure tested

I had it skimmed by a reputable company near me but it wont have been pressure tested. how would it get into the exhaust? what pressures should i expect from a 5?

RICHIE
16-04-2009, 18:33
I had it skimmed by a reputable company near me but it wont have been pressure tested. how would it get into the exhaust? what pressures should i expect from a 5?

depends on the compression ratio your running. your looking for consistancy accross all cylinders

Adam L
16-04-2009, 18:37
It'll more than likely be a tad higher than you've seen in the past too, if you've used new pistons and liners, as they wouldn't have bedded in quite yet.

stevo clio
16-04-2009, 18:38
:p
depends on the compression ratio your running. your looking for consistancy accross all cylinders

this is true, but still dont get how i get coolant in the exhaust unless its through the head gasket not being tight?

Markey Mark (BD)
16-04-2009, 18:40
:p

this is true, but still dont get how i get coolant in the exhaust unless its through the head gasket not being tight?

You may have a crack in the head, water will pass through that when its hot. If your losing water i say it will be one of the two.

stevo clio
16-04-2009, 18:49
You may have a crack in the head, water will pass through that when its hot. If your losing water i say it will be one of the two.

ah not thought of that, worth giving them a nip up incase then, what torque figure would you say for a 5 head?

Markey Mark (BD)
16-04-2009, 18:53
I do head bolts up to 75NM but thats the stronger 12.9 ones (cap-head), worth seeing if they are loose.

If they are i would personally put a new gasket on as it means water has passed over it and it'll never seal correctly now

stevo clio
16-04-2009, 18:54
I do head bolts up to 75NM but thats the stronger 12.9 ones (cap-head), worth seeing if they are loose.

If they are i would personally put a new gasket on as it means water has passed over it and it'll never seal correctly now

thing has only done abot 2hours! but possibly tighten them up this week end though, thank you very much for the info