PDA

View Full Version : MOT

Deano
16-04-2009, 15:46
I took my five for an MOT today,
I did it so i could get a list of jobs that needed doing for it to pass and i was pleasantly surprised when the only things he could find wrong where that my horn doesn't work and my tyres catch on the inside of the arch on full lock ! :agree:

Has anyone got wheel spacers on or used them before ? Will i need to get longer bolts?
Also,:cartman: where is the horn situated ? i can't find it ! when i press the horn stick no noise but it changes the idle slightly as if its using leccy ????

All being good i might be driving by weekend !:cool::D:devil:

UNICRONICUS
16-04-2009, 15:53
The horn is down near the headlight on the passenger side IIRC, or somewhere there abouts...

Deano
16-04-2009, 15:59
Cheers fella,
You don't happen to know where the wiring run for the horn goes do you !

UNICRONICUS
16-04-2009, 16:05
God knows mate, I never had to fiddle with the wiring on my horn, maybe the answer lies within these bunch of wiring diagrams? http://www.rtoc.org/files/?path=Technical%20Files/Wiring%20diagrams/ :)

Deano
16-04-2009, 16:08
Nice one, I think :laugh:, Its gonna take me days to understand all that !

I'm tempted just to buy another horn unit and bodge it in !!!:wasntme:

tom t
16-04-2009, 16:39
switch the wheels with some standard ones if youve got any knocking about m8

dangerous dave
16-04-2009, 16:40
hit the horn a few times, they get dirty and stop.. many a bashed horn has started tooting again..:)

i used a 5 or so mm spacer and all is fine, but im not sure itll solve your problem but standard wheels do while you get your ticket:)

Deano
16-04-2009, 16:46
I'll have a go at bashing my horn in a minute ! :rolleyes:
Do you mean give the stick a good licking or the actual horn unit !

The problem with the wheels is that i'm on 18s:dearme:, so if i put some standards on i'll be belly kissing the floor !

I'm gonna go to my local motor shop an see what cheap spacers he's got and chuck them after the MOT, otherwise i'll be looking at new locking bolts and i ain't got the pence at the moment,

tom t
16-04-2009, 22:40
i rekon you would need big old spacers to get 18s to stop rubbing. if its at all possible???

Nick k
16-04-2009, 23:51
I'll have a go at bashing my horn in a minute ! :rolleyes:
Do you mean give the stick a good licking or the actual horn unit !

The problem with the wheels is that i'm on 18s:dearme:, so if i put some standards on i'll be belly kissing the floor !

I'm gonna go to my local motor shop an see what cheap spacers he's got and chuck them after the MOT, otherwise i'll be looking at new locking bolts and i ain't got the pence at the moment,

Are we talking GT Turbo horn here, If so its a air horn which is driven by a air compressor located behind the expansion bottle. It gets its power through a relay situlated somewhere near it. The horn itself lives behind the bumper in the gap under the headlight, they are jointed via a black pipe. 9 times out of 10 the compressor has gone dry inside where the impressor rotate (3 or 4 of them) depending which you have. take the 3 screws out of the end plate of the compressor and get some greese or sim lubrication in there, screw back together and bobs your uncle :agree:

Deano
17-04-2009, 21:56
Are we talking GT Turbo horn here, If so its a air horn which is driven by a air compressor located behind the expansion bottle. It gets its power through a relay situlated somewhere near it. The horn itself lives behind the bumper in the gap under the headlight, they are jointed via a black pipe. 9 times out of 10 the compressor has gone dry inside where the impressor rotate (3 or 4 of them) depending which you have. take the 3 screws out of the end plate of the compressor and get some greese or sim lubrication in there, screw back together and bobs your uncle :agree:

Nice one bud, I had a look at this today and it seems my compressor has bitten the bullet,
I tested the horn with a bike pump then lubricated the compressor impellers, then connected it to batt, but no joy. Thanks for heping though matey :agree:

Rob@Backyardracing
17-04-2009, 22:18
Just stick a normal halfords uni horn on, dont cost earth :) unless you like the air horn....

dangerous dave
17-04-2009, 22:52
Just stick a normal halfords uni horn on, dont cost earth :) unless you like the air horn....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1171013797384954189

Deano
17-04-2009, 22:59
Ha Ha ! That was me today when i tested the horn with a pump !!!:laugh: