PDA

View Full Version : Brake master cylinder

morg
16-04-2009, 13:30
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

can someone help?

How easy is it to change a brake master cylinder on my 5 and is it something I can do myself rather than pay a garage to do it?

dave j gtt
17-04-2009, 01:56
Dont know about fitting one ,i'd imagian it'll be a arse of a job :(

I just removed a good condition fully working one , for sale in classifides ;)

Alex
17-04-2009, 07:38
It's held on by 2 nuts. If you can undo nuts you'll be fine :D You have to undo the brake pipes aswell of course.

The real problem if getting the brakes to bleed through afterwards...

:)

Os8472
17-04-2009, 17:42
Its a peace of piss mate, as Alex said it bleeding the air out of the system afterwards thats the arse, is your engine in or out? alot easyer to get to it with the engine out or even with the head off, thats why I waited to do mine till the engine had to come out.

Chris Hebden
18-04-2009, 18:01
Got mine done today! Wasnt that bad of a job, had it out and in, in an hour then took me another hour to bleed the bloody thing with 6 good bleed nipples!!!

I had to remove the earth, perc fan, oil breather pot and had to move some wires about. I left the strut brace in place, wasnt in the way as it happened!

I took one of the blake pipes out of the 90 clip thingy on the top of the master cyclinder and basically blew all the brake fluid out of that into a tub which worked well. Removed all the brake pipes then undid the 2 13mm nuts holding it in place, pulled the cyclinder out with the reservoir pipes still attached. Got it on the floor then pulled out those pigging black 90 connectors! Refitted it in reverse and jobs a gooden!