PDA

View Full Version : turbo

Mike_R5GTT
13-04-2009, 12:34
Hi when my turbo spins up and is holding boost it is whistling really loud and it sounds like its chopping at the air, could this be that it’s got a boost leak from boost side or exhaust side, and it won’t boost no more than 1.0bar, I’m guessing because of the leak it’s not keeping the actuator shut

RICHIE
13-04-2009, 14:44
Hi when my turbo spins up and is holding boost it is whistling really loud and it sounds like its chopping at the air, could this be that it’s got a boost leak from boost side or exhaust side, and it won’t boost no more than 1.0bar, I’m guessing because of the leak it’s not keeping the actuator shut

is your actuator strong enough to hold a bar of boost. your probably hearing the spool of the turbo very normal if your running a bigger airfilter as this tends to act as a amplifier. you may not have a boost leak but check anyway. if in doubt with the intercooler fill it will water that will help spot a leak if there is one

Markey Mark (BD)
13-04-2009, 14:46
Check all your hose's as well mate, coud have a slight split or hole in one somewhere

Mike_R5GTT
13-04-2009, 17:23
found the problem with it, where the turbo bolts on to the manifold the gasket is blowing and the elbow gasket is blowing and the turbo has cracked both sides of the waste gate, and its got a load of play in the shaft and its rubbing on the inside of the compressor housing, turbo was new about a month ago and ive done about 300 miles on it:cry:

Markey Mark (BD)
13-04-2009, 17:28
What is your oil pressure like mate, sounds like the turbo has gone because of low oil pressure or there is dirt in the oil which has knackered the bearings

Mike_R5GTT
13-04-2009, 17:33
i did a oil change when i fitted the turbo and primed the oil feed before running it and on boost my oil pressure is around 3-4 bar

Markey Mark (BD)
13-04-2009, 17:46
i did a oil change when i fitted the turbo and primed the oil feed before running it and on boost my oil pressure is around 3-4 bar

Is that on the standard oil guage or do you have a mechanical one mate?

Mike_R5GTT
13-04-2009, 17:50
i have got a aftermarket one

Markey Mark (BD)
13-04-2009, 17:56
i have got a aftermarket one

Sounds like oil contamination mate, there's only really 2 ways to kill the bearings in the turbo and thats low oil pressure or oil contamination.
Sounds like it'll need a rebuild anyway mate, give Adam L a shout he'll be able to sort you out and tell you what has caused the wearing out so quick

Mike_R5GTT
13-04-2009, 17:58
ok ill see about that coz i got the turbo form k-tec so ill c what they do for warrentys and go from there cheers :)

RICHIE
13-04-2009, 18:35
check you get 45 psi at around 3500 revs. also put some magnets on the sump and get ben at hose solutions to make you an oil feed up with a inline filter mate

Mike_R5GTT
13-04-2009, 18:48
ok will a magnetic sump bung help and whats the site for the hose

RICHIE
13-04-2009, 18:51
ok will a magnetic sump bung help and whats the site for the hose

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=439

i use a speaker magnet as well as the magnetic sump plug