PDA

View Full Version : ktr t28 350 rollor bearing

mad murdoch
13-04-2009, 11:26
yo guys,has anyone blown up one of these turbo,s yet,iv had mine on my car for over 5 years now running all kinds of boost tru it and no wear,i remember when i got it from ktek they seid they havant heard of any one blowing one up yet,i had a ktr 230 before but only lasted me 1 year,i find the t28 is laggy tho but pulls hard.think il try another turbo wen this gives up the ghost,there is loads of turbos out there to choose from but people say they are all good,ther has to be some dodgy turbos out ther,on ebay i keep seeing this gt series turbo for the 5gt in america for the sum of £900 plus buy now.has anyone seen it and gone for it?:):):)

Big Jim
13-04-2009, 12:22
T28 power without the lag? VNT.

Blick
13-04-2009, 12:24
T28 power without the lag? VNT.

how much do these vnt`s go4 new mate? any idea? :)

Markey Mark (BD)
13-04-2009, 14:44
When i bought my VNT i paid in the reigon of £750, wouldn't go for one again though

Blick
13-04-2009, 14:57
When i bought my VNT i paid in the reigon of £750, wouldn't go for one again though

how come mark?? what would you go4 next?

RICHIE
13-04-2009, 14:59
how come mark?? what would you go4 next?

i think there a pain to get the fueling right when using them

Blick
13-04-2009, 15:01
i think there a pain to get the fueling right when using them

ahh! right :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
13-04-2009, 15:08
I went for a normal turbo for my Volvo engine as the VNT wasn't big enough for it but also i just found it a pain and hard work to get the engine to fuel right with it. My blue 5 which ran the turbo constantly ran alittle rich just to make sure it didn't lean out when the turbo really kicked in

Andrew Cooke
13-04-2009, 15:08
yo guys,has anyone blown up one of these turbo,s yet,iv had mine on my car for over 5 years now running all kinds of boost tru it and no wear,i remember when i got it from ktek they seid they havant heard of any one blowing one up yet,i had a ktr 230 before but only lasted me 1 year,i find the t28 is laggy tho but pulls hard.think il try another turbo wen this gives up the ghost,there is loads of turbos out there to choose from but people say they are all good,ther has to be some dodgy turbos out ther,on ebay i keep seeing this gt series turbo for the 5gt in america for the sum of £900 plus buy now.has anyone seen it and gone for it?:):):)

I think all new Garrett turbos are GT, so your description doesn't mean much. However if it's a GT28R I'd say that it'd be 'laggier' than you K-Tec. That's assuming the 350 is what I think it is, namely a GT28R with a .49 rear housing grafted on. That doesn't seem to be too great a price, but I guess that's the way the pound has gone recently.

bigbadboytank
14-04-2009, 12:58
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

i would stay away from a VNT, great when they work, nightmare when they dont !:cry:

markey b
14-04-2009, 18:26
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

i would stay away from a VNT, great when they work, nightmare when they dont !:cry:

i've got one, and my bro recently got one... not had any fuelling issues that i'm aware of, think my cracked liner was due to a coolant leak thru the water pump bolt

Big Jim
15-04-2009, 23:57
I don't get that one, fuelling issues from the turbo:scratch: VNT's do have idiosyncrases of their own, but you can't beat them for lack of lag and power potential. Using my actuator setup I've had the same units on a 10psi 1300 Golf and a 22psi scooby.

James5
16-04-2009, 08:46
i've got one, and my bro recently got one... not had any fuelling issues that i'm aware of, think my cracked liner was due to a coolant leak thru the water pump bolt

I had the same VNT as Markey B on my last C1J engine and to be honest I never really had any probs with the VNT until I attempted to fettle with the way the boost comes in the rev range but that was my fault took some time to fix but I got it to how I wanted it. I would defo have another VNT and if I could get one to work on my F4r setup when I go turbo I would defo go that way. Nothing like the feel of a VNT:cooter:

James5
16-04-2009, 08:49
I had the same VNT as Markey B on my last C1J engine and to be honest I never really had any probs with the VNT until I attempted to fettle with the way the boost comes in the rev range but that was my fault took some time to fix but I got it to how I wanted it. I would defo have another VNT and if I could get one to work on my F4r setup when I go turbo I would defo go that way. Nothing like the feel of a VNT:cooter:

Fueling was the easy part to setup, it's the same as setting up for any other turbo on the 32dis. Probably awkward for an EFI system due to VE etc

Markey Mark (BD)
16-04-2009, 16:50
I agree with you the VNT has got a sound and feel on its own which you can't help but like:), i did love it and worked bloody well!

For me the it was the way the turbo kicked it and quite often spiked which caused the car to lean out abit, not by much but enough to cause abit of concern. The way i got round it and also the tuner at the time selling them, was to run the car alittle richer (not too much). The ignition timing on mine was retarded a fair bit too but this may just be because of my engine set up, i had to do it alittle to Bigbadboytanks too.

I'm only going on my car though, every car is different which has one of these turbo's.

I'd personally prob won't go for one again but i'm not saying there totally wrong, just not for me anymore.