PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem in dudley area!!!!!!!!!!!

morg
12-04-2009, 20:17
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Sorry im new to this board and posted in the wrong place originally. Hopefully this is in the right place now.

After owning 2 5's 10 years ago I have had to buy 1 again cause I loved them so much. I remember the pain I went through years ago with parts breaking and general repairs to my old 5's but they are worth every penny spent on them for fun in driving these great cars.

I have now waited long enough and had to buy another 5 which I travelled all the way to Holyhead to pick it up. It is in good condition but needs alot of TLC to get it looking nice again.

I need some help though, the brakes have been fine up until last week when for some reason the left front wheel locks up and the car now pulls violently to the left. I noticed the brake pedal has started moving further than normal but apart from that I havent got a clue why this is happening.:sad2:

I got the wheels off the weekend to look at the brakes to see if a brake piston was sticking. After looking at the brake calipers they looked like they had been on for about 50 years, so I ripped them off and went and bought some new ones. After fitting these and bleading the brakes hoping this would cure my problem IT DIDNT. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Can anyone help or got any ideas what the problem might be cause it is killing me having my 5 outside and not being able to use it.

Please please please HELP

J8TRO
12-04-2009, 21:06
After looking at it yesterday mate i haven't got a clue:crap:.....but that's me! I'm sure someone will tell you whats up with it and it will be a 2 minute fix, then you'll kick yourself! :wasntme:

RICHIE
12-04-2009, 21:15
firstly is there enough fluid is there any leaks make sure the cap is sealing on the resouviour. mabe the master cylinder is at fault.

markey b
12-04-2009, 21:25
master cyl would be my guess.. 106's suffer from it alot at work when they have imbalance on the MOT.

Big-_-Steve
12-04-2009, 21:38

check the master cyl first if aall good try pressure bleeding it and replace the fluid, i had this prob on a motor before and it seemed to cure it so anything's worth a try !!!!

morg
12-04-2009, 21:39

There is enough fluid in and ive checked for leaks so I must admit I was thinking it must be the master cylinder. Is it a big job to change????????

Thanks for your replies..

morg
12-04-2009, 21:56

How do you check if the master cylinder is working correctly????????

Nick k
12-04-2009, 23:33
I've seen a flexi hose fail where it does'nt let the fluid back out of the caliper when you take your foot off the brake. Very strange fault but worth a check.