PDA

View Full Version : moblie tuner in BOLTON ?

Deano
11-04-2009, 15:21
I can't find anyone who wants to or can set up my carb in or near bolton, i can't drive the car so i need a mobile mechanic.
Anyone know of someone ??
Cheers:smokin:

Boris
11-04-2009, 19:37
Have you asked any members local to you to help?
Failing that the articles/threads on here provide all the info. you'll ever need to do it yourself if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

:coffee:

Pete@Backyard Racing
11-04-2009, 21:15
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I can't find anyone who wants to or can set up my carb in or near bolton, i can't drive the car so i need a mobile mechanic.
Anyone know of someone ??
Cheers:smokin:

cant really set the carb up if u cant drive the car. send rob@backyard Racing, or dean@Backyard Racing a pm. We're all from the bolton/manchester area :)

Deano
12-04-2009, 11:32
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

cant really set the carb up if u cant drive the car. send rob@backyard Racing, or dean@Backyard Racing a pm. We're all from the bolton/manchester area :)

Nice one fella will do, i can't drive it cos its not MOT'd so might be able to get round that ;)

I've had a go myself by looking through the threads for help but i'll be the first to admitt i'm a bit of a noob !!:cartman:

Nick k
12-04-2009, 12:05
If its a standard carb then its easy. U just need to get the CO below 3% for the MOT. This normally involves screwing the mixture screw out until the engine is running at its best (smooth) then screwing it back until it just starts to faulter abit. then set the idle screw to about 1K without lights/heater etc on. That should give you around 1/2% CO. If your lucky Mr MOT man might set it for you when its on the CO machine :agree:

Scoff
12-04-2009, 12:07
Isn't it 1.5% co at idle to pass MOT ?

RICHIE
12-04-2009, 12:09
Isn't it 1.5% co at idle ?

i think 3 % is the max your allowed due to the age of the vehicle and not having a cat im sure this is what was said last mot i had but that was some time ago now:cry:

Scoff
12-04-2009, 12:10
i think 3 % is the max your allowed due to the age of the vehicle and not having a cat im sure this is what was said last mot i had but that was some time ago now:cry:

I think it's 1.5% CO at idle, maybe it's 3% @ 3/4RPM or something like that.

Deano
12-04-2009, 12:32
I'm having trouble just getting it to idle right at the moment !!

i can screw the mixture screw all the way in without cutting out so i think somethings wrong ?

I'll wait till one of the backyard guys are online and pester them in to giving me a hand !!

MR TURBO
12-04-2009, 12:34
I'm having trouble just getting it to idle right at the moment !!

i can screw the mixture screw all the way in without cutting out so i think somethings wrong ?

I'll wait till one of the backyard guys are online and pester them in to giving me a hand !!

Sounds like another snapped mixture screw :eek::dearme:

Deano
12-04-2009, 12:40
I'll take it out now and have a looky see, i didn't think about that cheers:agree:

Deano
12-04-2009, 12:49
Should i be able to remove the mixture screw just by winding it out ? mine winds almost all the way out then just keeps turning !

RICHIE
12-04-2009, 12:59
i use a magnet to pick them out. but not all of them are magnetic

Deano
12-04-2009, 13:09
Just got it out, it had a plastic collar pressed in the hole to stop it coming out,

The screw isn't snapped but there's a rubber washer/seal at the top that looks a bit ropey, think that could be the problem ?

Nick k
12-04-2009, 16:21
Yea could be if its not sealing correctly. Try screwing it all the way in again and if it does'nt stall put your finger over the screw hole and that will answer your question. If it then stalls then the knackered seal, if not then something else is a miss.

Nick k
12-04-2009, 16:29
I think it's 1.5% CO at idle, maybe it's 3% @ 3/4RPM or something like that.

Its 3%. My cab at idle is 1.68% CO with 0.98 lamda. The campus turbo is 2.12% CO with 1.02 lamda which is sh*t but it needs a oil change.

Also, i think im very sad knowing the above about my cars :)

Scoff
12-04-2009, 16:36
Its wierd, because I researched it a bit after I posted that and found that pre-cat was 3.5% - it didn't tell me if that was @ 2500rpm (or half engine speed, if lower) or @ idle. :confused:

Nick k
12-04-2009, 16:46
Its wierd, because I researched it a bit after I posted that and found that pre-cat was 3.5% - it didn't tell me if that was @ 2500rpm (or half engine speed, if lower) or @ idle. :confused:

I do quite a few MOT's with my mate. Its been 3% to my knowledge for a while, up to 1994 ish then CATs came into play. He is quite anal so if he was wrong he would'nt sleep for a week with worry! :D I think its even higher with really old cars like 5%?? I get hold of the book and let you know what it says.

Scoff
12-04-2009, 16:47
Cheers, it would be good to know. My old testers manual says 3.5% too for pre-cat (pre 1995), maybe things have changed.