PDA

View Full Version : Newbe that needs help - Lost in a turbo conversion

TURBO'D CLIO
10-04-2009, 19:22
First post!

Hi all

I paid the £25 to join this site, I've heard alot of good comments about it and heard it is the place to go when it comes to volvo engines in a clio...

I'm a mechanic and have a good idea of whats what but theres a few things that are driving me insane and need some serious help, Where would be the best to post regarding issues with my conversion i thought about doing a project thread but i wasn't sure i would get the help i need in there..

Hopeing you guys can point me in the right direction...

Rob

Big Steve - Raider
10-04-2009, 19:28
Welcome to the club Rob! :yeah:

As you've started this thread introducing yourself; why not post in here what problems you're up against??

As you say there's a heap of people in here that have done the 1.7 Turbo conversion.

RICHIE
10-04-2009, 19:30
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=312&highlight=volvo+conversion

try that thread mate. try the articles section.

welcomew to the club mate :agree:

TURBO'D CLIO
10-04-2009, 19:32
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I was thinking about it but i have a awful lot of questions to ask and i dont want to bombard this section..

Thought i should do a project thread as i am only in the early stages at the mo i.e got engine out clio and got engine out of the volvo lol, early days hey...

Thanks for the welcome mate, i know alot of people have done the conversion in r5 turbo's and mk1 clio's but mine is a mk2 s reg, I'd be so grateful if some one has a pic of a mk2 clio with a turbo lump in it.. :p

minty83
10-04-2009, 19:42
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2202
s reg clio :p
turbo conversion;)

TURBO'D CLIO
10-04-2009, 19:46

:agree::agree:

Is that using the volvo turbo lump.. ?

Only prob is that on is face lift mk2 mines a pre face lift mk2 lol but same car really..

Good work thou mate, funny really been on the clio forum for 2 weeks and i can't get any replies from any one, been on here 20 mins and already you guys are out to help...

Dead chuffed - Gr8 site - Be even happier if some one wants to wire up my turbo loom to my renault loom lol... :cooter: :laugh:

Big Steve - Raider
10-04-2009, 19:46
Hmmmm, slightly left of centre there Minty but i guess it answers the question! ;)

What engine DID the clio have in it Rob??

Big Steve - Raider
10-04-2009, 19:47
That's a VAG 1.8 Turbo engine in that car by the way Rob.

minty83
10-04-2009, 19:49
this is a ph 2 pre face lift too :) just had the the panels changed to make it look newer..
steve :) was just introducing are new friend to the rtoc humour lol

minty83
10-04-2009, 19:50
That's a VAG 1.8 Turbo engine in that car by the way Rob.
1.9;)

TURBO'D CLIO
10-04-2009, 20:28

Ahh i see.... good idea, looks like the newer 53 plate one's... good job..

Maybe a dumb question but whats a vag engine, 1.9 you say ?

My clio is a 1.4 rt s reg pre face lift.. i only just bought it because i bought a volvo 480 turbo for £10 and a runner good sound engine to, and yes that's 10 quid not 100 quid :cooter:

I heard that they fit the clio spot on, then i got offered a 1.4 s-reg clio with a blown lump for £200 so i just jumped in foot first and thought yeah this will be easy.... Yeah as if lol.

Some one said on the clio forum that because my 480 turbo was a automatic then there is no chance it could ever be used as a manual as there is a difference in crank shafts i said bollox but now I'm worried :confused: what if it's true - I'd cry :sad:

Any body shed some light on this...

Scoff
10-04-2009, 20:48
The crank's are the same but make sure you use a volvo flywheel (rarther than Clio 16v, etc) in order to keep the trigger pattern for the ECU the same.

TURBO'D CLIO
10-04-2009, 20:53

The crank's are the same but make sure you use a volvo flywheel (rarther than Clio 16v, etc) in order to keep the trigger pattern for the ECU the same.

You my son are a god dam legend, that was the very answer i needed...

I thought about using the clio flywheel but then thought ****, the sensor for tdc on the volvo loom might not pick up the correct signal off the flywheel..

So if i get a manual volvo 480 flywheel, what clutch will i need, if i used a volvo one would it mate up to the renault gear box ?

Rob

Scoff
10-04-2009, 22:14
Hi Rob,

2 Volvo's to choose from, the earlier B18FT turbo (pre 91) or later. The early type uses a 200mm plate while the later is 215mm. If you are planning on running some real boost then you should try and find the later type. Clio 172 flywheel will also work, it is 215mm and is lighter than the volvo :)

TURBO'D CLIO
10-04-2009, 23:45

Hi Rob,

2 Volvo's to choose from, the earlier B18FT turbo (pre 91) or later. The early type uses a 200mm plate while the later is 215mm. If you are planning on running some real boost then you should try and find the later type. Clio 172 flywheel will also work, it is 215mm and is lighter than the volvo :)

Ok so would the clio 172 work ok with the fly wheel tdc sensor?

Also what clutch would i use, if i used a volvo fly wheel and clutch would it work ok with the renault gear box.. ?
Thanks for your help bud...

Rob

Scoff
11-04-2009, 00:13
Yes, clio 172 uses the same Bosch trigger pattern for the ECU as the volvo and will work fine with the volvo TDC sensor (it's the same sensor). There is actually a few degrees of timing difference between the 2 but not enough to worry about.

Any of the flywheels mentioned will fit into either the Volvo gearbox or the R5GTT gearbox.

Clutch is a debatable one, there's been some discussion on here before about the options. If you are not planning on running a lot of boost (say less than 20psi) then the standard 215mm volvo clutch (the Valeo one) works OK. They are available from GSF, price might have rocketed recently.

minty83
11-04-2009, 01:49

Ahh i see.... good idea, looks like the newer 53 plate one's... good job..

Maybe a dumb question but whats a vag engine, 1.9 you say ?

a vag engine is a vw, audi,seat,skoda lump, this 1 in the clio is a audi s3 1.8 20v turbo, but bored out using 84mm pistons to make it a 1.9 in theory.
to make it loof like 52 onwards you need, front wings, slam panel , bonnet and bumper changing.. ph2 1.5" high on the bonnet and slightly longer;)

TURBO'D CLIO
11-04-2009, 07:37

Clever stuff mate, is it yours ?

TURBO'D CLIO
11-04-2009, 08:04

Can any body on here confirm that the volvo 1.7 turbo will fit into a mk2 clio using the rsi drivers mount..
I know alot of people fit this volvo lump into a r5's and mk1 clio's but never really heard much about fitting it into a mk2 pre face lift.. I'd be interested if any body has any pic's of a mk2 with the volvo 1.7 turbo lump init?

Just i don't want to get half way throuh this build to find out it wont fit or needs loads of chopping to get it in.. :confused:

TURBO'D CLIO
12-04-2009, 18:59
Any one ??? :confused:

minty83
13-04-2009, 00:56

Clever stuff mate, is it yours ?
clio's mine if u ment me?

TURBO'D CLIO
13-04-2009, 01:35
How the hell did you get a vag lump to fit... Got any more pics of engine? ;)

minty83
13-04-2009, 01:49
How the hell did you get a vag lump to fit... Got any more pics of engine? ;)
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=268
look in there. i was lucky enough to pick the car up with the enigne transplated:cool:

TURBO'D CLIO
13-04-2009, 02:31
That is truely amazing, one heck of a tight fit :hump: some one clearly knew what they was doing there, Lovin the last pic to liking the matt finish and steel wheels, proper street sleeper style.. :agree: