PDA

View Full Version : Garages/work spaces

JRP
10-04-2009, 15:55
With out delving and probingto much, a question about your work space.

Now really aimed at the lucky people, i count my self lucky to have a garage as must anybody else that owns one.

And no im not rubbing it in to those that dont, as my garage is open to give others shelter when required.

Anyhoooo point is what is your garage like? im in the middle of a big old project (back permitting and currently on hold) in re doing the garage, and would like to see others for ideas.

No not garages of junk but ones in which you can work on cars / bikes etc if your up to it feel free to post pics,

ta much

Tiny Tim
10-04-2009, 16:04
Mine's was RAMMED with stuff up until recently when Beardo helped me clean it. There's still a few bits left to sort but its got a window, power points and light. I've got heaters down there now too.

Its quite long for a garage, easily get the Legacy in there. Plan is to sort some shelving out and a stable work bench. Hi-fi, TV, and possibly a small fridge/bar area.

Or that'll make way if I find a cheap track project to play with.

JRP
10-04-2009, 16:06
some how dont see a bar or a tv, maybe a cheap hi fi for me.

I mean as you say areas in which to work on your motor, Heaters are a good idea.... might install a boiler and rads in my garage then :)

Tiny Tim
10-04-2009, 16:28
Well thats the thing, is it a work or 'living' space?

If I still had a Renault, the 'tinkering' would be constant, so it would just be a case of some heaters, light and power... bare essentials.
As the Leggy's a tad more reliable, its going to be rare that im working on it so will have a few more 'comforts' in there.

Scoff
10-04-2009, 16:35
Definately think about insulation and heating, means you can lock yourself away in the garage over winter and crack on :)

clee
10-04-2009, 16:35
I could post up a pic , including the beer fridge but I fear you'd all turn against me :p

It is cold in the winter ....must sort that :coffee:

Paint the walls white though before owt else .The only good thing about working outdoors is the light :agree:

JRP
10-04-2009, 16:51
Walls all painted white, garage floor sealed and painted, strip lights fitted.

Heaters and some insulation hmmm ile get on the case :) I do hate the cold winter in my garage

Chris Hebden
10-04-2009, 17:41
Used to have a lovely garage with a pit untill my mother moved house :cry:! The vice was a god send, wire wheel, heaters and lots of electricity points :agree:

scratcher
10-04-2009, 18:06
I used to have a good garage too with pillar drill, bench tools and what not.
Then we moved and I had to make a renault 5 sized space form a flower bed and paving slabs :(

Bod
10-04-2009, 21:16
Got a new lock-up recently got one 5gtt tucked up the back and the raider at the front was working up there today in the dry getting the raider ready petrol tank off:)

UNICRONICUS
10-04-2009, 21:24
My brother and I rent a garage for the intention of working out etc... But my old man has one next door to ours and he's kind of commendeared it for some of his fishing gear, a couple of friends who are neighbours also use it to store bikes and any other random crap. It's only small but it's good for working on the motorbike or if needs be a small car...just. No electrics, no running water, no nothing bascially, just walls, roof (with some holes) and a new roller door :cool::sad2:

Andrew Cooke
13-04-2009, 18:06
I'd consider this setup to be an absolute minimum

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4711.0.html

scratcher
13-04-2009, 18:21
I'd consider this setup to be an absolute minimum

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4711.0.html

Oh - Em - Geeeeeez!!
Thats amazing. And at least twice the size of my house.

Big Steve - Raider
13-04-2009, 18:53
My little garage attached to the side of my house is JUST big enough to squeeze round & work on one side of either of my cars & has been used to re-build my Raider & is currently full of 1/2 built Clio :rolleyes:

Bigfoot
13-04-2009, 19:28
Built nearly the size of a double garage but put the door on the side. Got a nice work bench at rear and side, plenty of shelving. Just need to clear all the crap to get the car in there so when it rains it dont get wet inside when I start the work. Only problem I have is that there is a little lip of bricks to get in there, haven't sorted out front of garage, and also can only get access to one side of the car easily whilst its in there. But should be fun to work on. Also have a winch mounted on roof to get those engines in and out :) great fun when your bored.

clee
13-04-2009, 19:33
Just remember ....no matter how big a space you have you will always fill it with crap ..............no wait ...............make that ...hard to source classic car parts :agree:

Bigfoot
13-04-2009, 19:37
Just remember ....no matter how big a space you have you will always fill it with crap ..............no wait ...............make that ...hard to source classic car parts :agree:

Thats what I say, but then it starts getting put in house loft, bedroom, garden shed, behind shed, car which is being restored and also the garage loft. Need a house just for car parts.