View Full Version : removable timing covers

car.crash
10-04-2009, 12:36
does anyone have a picture of a removable timing cover so you can access the vernier pulley. i have a few ideas on how to make one but struggling to find the bits i need and cant make them without a lathe, so if anyone has a pic of how the tuners put theirs together that would be great please.

tobester
15-04-2009, 13:09
does anyone have a picture of a removable timing cover so you can access the vernier pulley. i have a few ideas on how to make one but struggling to find the bits i need and cant make them without a lathe, so if anyone has a pic of how the tuners put theirs together that would be great please.

I made my own, can take a picture of it if you want.

car.crash
15-04-2009, 17:30
if you could throw some decent pics up that would be great, and any info on how you did it would be ace too :).

Mart
15-04-2009, 17:53
Nescafe tin lid FTW! :)

car.crash
15-04-2009, 17:56
screw cap mart if im thinking along the right lines here?

Mart
15-04-2009, 18:06
Nah, the snug fit/screwdriver to prise off esque lids, found on the wholesale tins of Nescafe, from the likes of Macro, Costco, etc.

Measure the lid diameter, then cut out a slightly smaller diameter hole in the cam cover, drill & weld in a few bolts through the cover (with the threads protruding outwards), drill an equal number of correctly aligned holes in the Nescafe lid, and then simply nut the lid onto the protruding studs/bolt threads.

PMT, J.D :agree:

Just be careful that the bolt-heads aren't too big/deep, as you might run the risk of them catching on the cam sprocket/chain.

Rob@Backyardracing
15-04-2009, 18:07
Yep screw cap i was told once... :coffee: get drinking your coffee

car.crash
15-04-2009, 18:08
perfect thanks for the help mart.

Rob@Backyardracing
15-04-2009, 18:08
balls i heard wrong.... :ashamed: :scared: carry on chaps.....

Brigsy
15-04-2009, 18:11
What about an el cheapo alloy tax disc holder, use the back? Sure i seen somebody who had done it.

Mart
15-04-2009, 18:14
What about an el cheapo alloy tax disc holder, use the back? Sure i seen somebody who had done it.

That could work, but it won't give you much room to manoeuvre.

Scoff
15-04-2009, 18:16
Nah, the snug fit/screwdriver to prise off esque lids, found on the wholesale tins of Nescafe, from the likes of Macro, Costco, etc.

Measure the lid diameter, then cut out a slightly smaller diameter hole in the cam cover, drill & weld in a few bolts through the cover (with the threads protruding outwards), drill an equal number of correctly aligned holes in the Nescafe lid, and then simply nut the lid onto the protruding studs/bolt threads.

PMT, J.D :agree:

Just be careful that the bolt-heads aren't too big/deep, as you might run the risk of them catching on the cam sprocket/chain.

That's a *whole* new level of PMT that I'm not sure the world is ready for ? :D

Mart
15-04-2009, 18:20
:laugh:

I knocked up a 'prototype' version years back, and as pikey as it sounds, it worked sweet as a nut :D

I don't recall any oil escaping/leaks, but if that's a potential worry, you could always apply a touch of Thixo around the outside of the lid.

tobester
13-06-2009, 01:13
apologies for taking so long to post this! here is my timing chain cover that i modified to make the cam timing adjustable without having to remove the cover.:)

Nick k
13-06-2009, 08:57
Very Nice! :)

5teve L
13-06-2009, 09:06
:agree: Good job that

dangerous dave
13-06-2009, 15:54
apologies for taking so long to post this! here is my timing chain cover that i modified to make the cam timing adjustable without having to remove the cover.:)

looking good, if you hear someone under the bonnet of your car late at night, its not me trying to steal it:smokin: