View Full Version : seized door pin /?

mightymanx
07-04-2009, 19:44
hi hopefully some 1 can help.
the drivers door pins are loose on my 5 gtt.
i have done door pins before but never had 1 like this before.
they are the screw in type ive got the bottom pin ok ok but the top 1 is seized.
the star screw bit you put the star spanner in is knackered.
some 1s messed it up tried gripping the pin with the mole grips but no luck.
did try tapping it out but as it a screw type i think it has to be screwd out.
any 1 got any idea al help gratefully received>

RICHIE
07-04-2009, 19:47
can you weld a bolt onto it

mightymanx
07-04-2009, 20:02
did think of sumthing like that ritchie but have no welding equpment and i cant weld :cry:

LukeRobbo
08-04-2009, 01:44
Same happend with me the bushes had corroded onto the pin so i carefully drilled it out.Tryed with a punch and pin,made a tool to try and screw it out but it was solid.**** design how they are so thin.

mightymanx
08-04-2009, 02:32
did think of drilling can u get the drill in there

G801CVT
08-04-2009, 09:35
did think of sumthing like that ritchie but have no welding equpment and i cant weld :cry:

Not sure if it would be strong enough but you could try one of the cold weld products - (JB Weld (http://jbweld.net/index.php)) is the name that I remember. In addition try soak in WD40 beforehand and/or try some of that 'cold shock' stuff that Halfords sell.

Maybe however that 'cold weld' is not strong enough.......

Steven

DaveMayGTT
08-04-2009, 11:31
I had to drill mine out completely with 8mm drill bit and then use a 8mm roll pin instead of putting another screw bit in.

mightymanx
08-04-2009, 19:42
yer looks like ill have to use the drill i dont mind putting another roll pin in

RICHIE
08-04-2009, 19:42
yer looks like ill have to use the drill i dont mind putting another roll pin in

heat it up get it hot

mightymanx
08-04-2009, 19:56
i do have a blow tourch so could heat it up but i still dont have any way of turning it ritchie?

RICHIE
08-04-2009, 20:05
i do have a blow tourch so could heat it up but i still dont have any way of turning it ritchie?

i forgot there not roll pins. i still say that a welded bolt will be the easiest option rather than drilling it out because if you get it wrong when drilling god knows how the door will hang

Deano
08-04-2009, 20:15
Can you not use a hacksaw and make a screwdriver slot in the top of it ?
Then heat it up an try to screw it out ??

mightymanx
09-04-2009, 00:42
was gona try that deano but the pins the top 1 so faces up.
would be easyier the other way round thought of hack sawring a grove it it but dont no if that would do any good.
yer ritchie i thought about what would happen if the drill slipped or what ever.
but id have the same problem if i got some 1 to weld it then the head snapped off.
aint gona try it for a week or so as its the bottom of my todo list just wana get a plan of action lol :scared: