View Full Version : safety pressure switch

Mike_R5GTT
07-04-2009, 19:07
hi my manual boost controller wont adjust my boost no higher than abot 0.8 bar and thats my acuator pressure do i have to disconnect the safety pressure switch

RICHIE
07-04-2009, 19:11
if its a manual boost controller were does the safety pressure switch come into play.

come to think of it are you sure a boost controller is a good idea;)

Mike_R5GTT
07-04-2009, 19:17
well wen i wind the controler out it still boosts the same just fort that might stop it boosting up higher than that i wanna go to 17psi but wont adjust any more than a bar

RICHIE
07-04-2009, 19:19
well wen i wind the controler out it still boosts the same just fort that might stop it boosting up higher than that i wanna go to 17psi but wont adjust any more than a bar

why dont you just set it via the actuator to run the 17psi then pressuming the actuator is capable of holding 17 psi. what id vacume tubing you using

Mike_R5GTT
07-04-2009, 19:20
its 5mm

RICHIE
07-04-2009, 19:22
its 5mm

can you run 17 psi without the bleed valve

Tiny Tim
07-04-2009, 19:24
Lose the controller, set the boost level via the actuator and fuel the carb accordingly.

Mike_R5GTT
07-04-2009, 19:26
so ill adjust the acuator then and get rid of the controller, when i brought the turbo they said it can run 20 psi so i recon i can get 17 on the acuator

Tiny Tim
07-04-2009, 19:28
That's probably what the turbo can handle, not what it should run day in-day out.

Is your carb standard?

Mike_R5GTT
07-04-2009, 19:37
groupe a carb and what happened was i had it rolling roaded monday and the fueling was wrong so we sorted that and drilled the main jet but we couldnt get it to boost any more that 0.8 bar and he reconded it seams like it was blocked did wanna rev up that quick,seam real slow

Tiny Tim
07-04-2009, 19:39
You took the main jet out to drill it and cleaned it after?

Mart
07-04-2009, 19:42
Probably increasing the main jet didn't help matters (read probably miserably over-fuelling throughout the rev range now).

Perhaps you've got a boost leak, hence the engine not wanting to rev/rev slowly, and which would also explain why you're struggling to obtain any more boost.

As a side note, you might find the turbo a touch more responsive if you use smaller diameter actuator pipe.

Mike_R5GTT
07-04-2009, 19:45
ok well the carb was running reali weak on boost but the vac pipe on the enrichment valve was off so thats ok now just the boost side the bloke who r and r it said it seams like the disc on the wastgate has possible got a chip out of it causing it to not hold higher boost

RICHIE
07-04-2009, 19:50
someone pop round and have a look before he has to order a r11102 :mart:

Mike_R5GTT
07-04-2009, 19:51
lol:crap:

Mart
07-04-2009, 19:57
ok well the carb was running reali weak on boost but the vac pipe on the enrichment valve was off so thats ok now just the boost side the bloke who r and r it said it seams like the disc on the wastgate has possible got a chip out of it causing it to not hold higher boost

Ok, but increasing the main jet size is a bodge way (no offence meant) of increasing on-boost fuelling. It's not the way to go.

It's possible the wastegate could be damaged, but apart from cracks around the wastegate port, which could cause spool-up prob's, I'd say it's pretty rare (and bloody unlucky) to see a damaged/chipped wastegate flap.

You could whip the turbo elbow off to prove if that is the case, but I'm guessing you'll find the wastegate flap is intact...

If possible, plumb in a boost gauge on the turbo outlet, and compare that to manifold boost pressure. There shouldn't be no more than 5psi (give or take a couple of psi) difference between the 2 gauges. If there is, suspect a leak in the boost circuit (hoses, intercooler, dump valve (if one fitted), perc-fan connection, carb elbow o-ring, carb elbow itself, inlet manifold nrv's, etc).

If there aren't any leaks, it could just be that the actuator has seen better days & is struggling to hold the wastegate shut when on boost.