PDA

View Full Version : r5 has got a misfire

djinuk
06-04-2009, 09:46
Yesterday my r5 seemed to be running fine with no problems and smooth running. This morning i started it and it started with no problem and fired straight into life, however as soon as i reversed out the drive and went up the road i felt and heard that its only firing on 3 cylinders, ive whipped the dizzy out and cleaned out condensation and gave the arm a quick clean up, the leads and plugs are all very low milage (about 1k) and its all tight. Ive not managed to whip the plugs out as im at work but i will give this a clean up if/when i get the car home as i don't have tools with me other than a screw driver. The misfire did not clear up on my way to work. I am pretty sure that its just going to be a case of cleaning the plugs up or something daft but is there anything in particular that these cars are susceptible i should be checking.

5alldaway
06-04-2009, 10:30
carb freeze? give it a good warm up until the fan kicks in and then drive, but if its still running lumpy from cold start up then it wont be carb freeze

djinuk
06-04-2009, 10:38
drove all the way from my house to branston, so dont think its carb freeze mate. Im going to have a quick look on my lunch, although i cant get the plugs out as i dont have a ratchet set :(

Matt Cole
06-04-2009, 13:12
You already answered the problem in your description! Make sure the dizzy has the sealing plate/disk in and that the cap is a ducellier. If seal is missing use a bit of silicone on the base. Also ckeck the king lead at the ecu end. Any smeg on the contact could cause issues.

djinuk
06-04-2009, 13:20
sound, well the dizzy hasnt got that seal , never did, i cleaned the moisture out though to no avail. Also i checked all of the leads etc and they seem fine. Got a lad meeting me after work with some of my tools so i can whip the plugs out and give them a clean.

J$£5GTT
06-04-2009, 19:56
check distributer cap is crack free,plugs,leads,tdc,go from
there.

djinuk
06-04-2009, 19:59
fixed this, turns out the plugs were badly sooted :( wirebrush and all is good, its the second time now its done it.

Ron
07-04-2009, 18:03
Mine used to do this when it had fancy pugs in it. I use campus ones now and have never had a problem since!