PDA

View Full Version : Engine keeps overheating and losing coolant water

LukeRobbo
06-04-2009, 02:29
Was driving my r5 today and give it some gas up a hill but not too much and when i got to the top steam started pouring out the bonnet so i opened it took the elf oil cap off to see if their was any white paste which their wasnt but lots of smoke was coming out the hole.Then i looked at the coolant which was empty.

I rang my dad whos always been great with cars and he checked it over for me and couldnt see anything so we drove it home slowly after putting water back in and it seemed fine.Then read the haynes because the top hose didnt seem to be filling so we lifted the bottle as the haynes said and it filled up.Left it running for a good while and no water was leaking so i took it for a drive for 10miles and it seemed fine.Then on my way home i noticed my exhaust was hanging low and was really loud.I was nearly home and it done the same as i was going up the hill so i decided to steadily drive it home.

Im gutted.Had the car for about 7month now and done about 7,000 miles with only little problems now this has happend.The cars done around 106k but the previous owner said it had a top end rebuild recently along with the re-cond turbo which i have the receipt for.Its running around a bar of boost but i very rarely give it much throttle and never rev it high.Im hoping the problem isnt the headgasket but if it is luckily my dad can help me with it.The only thing i can think that ive done is fit a thermostat recently because it never had one when i got it but ive done 250miles since then.The smoke comes from the drivers side of under the bonnet around the pipework near the rocker cover.Will have a better look tomorow in the garage and let you know what the problem is.

Any sugestions please?

Robbo
06-04-2009, 07:24
possibly a knackered water hose, it wont show up until water system pressurises. get an old coolant cap and fit a tire valve into it, then slowly pump air into it. if you have a small pin hole in a hose it will show up.

Sparkie
06-04-2009, 11:02
i bet its the pipe from the manifold to the waterpump. - hidden behind the oil seperator pot.

i hope you undid the bleed nipples when you lifted up the expansion tank?

i also hope you fitted the thermostat the correct way round....

LukeRobbo
06-04-2009, 11:33
yep it was the hose thanks for both your replys.The stat is fitted correct and i did undo the nipples like the haynes said:)

The exhaust is off to be bent and the bracket welded and should be sorted.Thank god for that i havent slept all night.